Hot 2022 Hyundai Elantra N Brings 276HP, Manual Gearbox And 0-62MPH In 5.3 s

Started by cawimmer430, July 14, 2021, 05:47:16 AM

cawimmer430

How do you say "HOW DARE YOU!" in Korean?  :lol:

Hot 2022 Hyundai Elantra N Brings 276HP, Manual Gearbox And 0-62MPH In 5.3 Seconds

The long-awaited 2022 Hyundai Elantra N, also known as the i30 N Sedan in some markets including Australia, has just been unveiled and as we suspected, features many of the same parts as the i30 N hot hatch.

Powering the car is Hyundai's familiar 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that now has a 5 mm larger turbine wheel and pumps out 276 hp (206 kW) and 289 lb-ft (392 Nm) of torque. Coupled to the 2.0-liter is an eight-speed wet dual-clutch transmission or a six-speed manual driving the front wheels.

With the N Grin Shift mode enable, boost pressure from the engine is increased, bumping up power to 285 hp and launching the car to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.3 seconds.

Helping to put power to the ground is an electronic limited-slip differential that Hyundai dubs the 'N Corner Carving Different.' The car also features a launch control system and offers the same N Grin Shift, N Power Shift, and N Track Sense Shift modes as other Hyundai N models with DCTs. Another innovative feature of the Elantra N is a WRC-inspired integrated drive axle that integrates the drive shaft, wheel hub, and bearing, reducing weight by 1.7 kg and improving lateral grip.

Further aiding in the car's performance is electronically-adjustable suspension that works alongside a dual compound trailing arm bush to optimize the ride and handling while minimizing noise, vibration and harshness. Hyundai has also fitted four-point strut rings and rear stiff bars to strengthen the body.

Braking is provided by 14.1-inch (360 mm) discs with Hyundai's own high-friction material pads that have already proven themselves to be exceptionally durable. The South Korean carmaker has also designed a cooling hold in the front fascia along with a brake air guide structure to improve cooling efficiency.

A handful of other features debut with the Elantra N. One of these is the N Sound Equalizer that pumps sounds into the cabin that can mimic TCR race car sounds. Drivers can adjust the sound for whine, throat, and bass through an equalizer. The variable exhaust has also been updated to reduce the booming sound while idling but still retaining the same cracks and pops as other N models.

An updated infotainment system is also used by the car and displays important information like oil and coolant temperatures as well as torque and turbo pressures. There is also a dedicated lap timer and in some markets, a Hyundai N app will be available that shows important driver information on their smartphone. Also found within are new seats with reinforced bolsters and customers can also option bucket seats that sit 10 mm lower.

From a styling perspective, the 2022 Hyundai Elantra N adopts a more angular and aggressive design than the regular Elantra. The front end, for example, features a bespoke bumper and enlarged air intakes, as well as a new splitter. The car has also been equipped with unique side skirts, a rear diffuser, a fixed rear wing, an F1-inspired rear light, and bespoke wheels.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/07/2022-hyundai-elantra-n-official-reveal/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

I drove by a new regular Elantra sedan yesterday.  Beautiful car.  I consider Hyundai and Kia as one entity (although technically separate I suppose) and Genesis their luxury brand.  Last several years they are hitting it out of the park. The Palisade/Telluride win all comparisons.  The new Genesis SUV has literally no detractors. The Genesis sedan matches up very well and when compared with the Mercedes E class in magazine comparos, usually wins out. In the U.S., also, they have a stellar 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty and 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty which is the best.  Magazine comparos which pit the Veloster N with the Civic Type R always have the Civic Type R the better car with the caveat that the Hyundai is significantly cheaper and a great driver nonetheless.

This Elantra is likely a bit underbaked compared with the best Japanese or European small sporty sedans. But it will also likely be significantly cheaper and a great driver nonetheless particularly on regular roads, outside of a track.

If you like to shift your own gears with a real 3rd pedal clutch, don't want to spend a lot of money, find value in a long ass warranty, and like the styling... it checks all the right boxes.     

CaminoRacer

I've heard great things about how the N's drive, but that grill is just too ugly. And I've heard the Kia/Hyundai dealerships still suck, sadly.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

JWC

Transformers.....everybody wants their car to be a Transformer.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 14, 2021, 01:04:17 PM
I've heard great things about how the N's drive, but that grill is just too ugly. And I've heard the Kia/Hyundai dealerships still suck, sadly.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

The interior would be fantastic if that buttress didn't ruin it.

MrH

Looks like an ornate piece of origami.  I don't like the looks at all, but I'm glad they're making this.  I'd take the Veloster N over it.

I hope AWD spreads to the next gen N vehicles.  I don't think I can get down with the idea of huge hp FWD cars much anymore.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

I saw a new(er) Elantra with that crazy "Prius style angle rear" and it was actually pretty good.

My in-laws' Kia Sorrento is very very well put together. Drives in between the Q7 and Pilot in terms of handling.
Will