I am thinking of replacing my EV with a petrol car and have some questions

Started by CaminoRacer, July 21, 2021, 01:31:35 PM

CaminoRacer

Quality shitpost from LinkedIn/Reddit

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/stephen-holmes-95728b25_i-am-thinking-of-replacing-my-electric-car-activity-6822237812742533120-Vgip/

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/oowa64/i_am_thinking_of_replacing_my_electric_car_with_a/

I am thinking of replacing my electric car with a petrol car and have some questions.

1. I have heard that petrol cars can not refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Is this several times a year? Will there be a solution for refueling at home?

2. Which parts will I need service on and how often? The car salesman mentioned a box with gears in it. What is this and will I receive a warning with an indicator when I need to change gear?

3. Can I accelerate and brake with one pedal as I do today with my electric car?

4. Do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill? I assume so, but need to ask to be sure.

5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?

6. We currently pay about 1.2p per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 10 times as much so I reckon we will lose some money in the beginning. We drive about 20,000 miles a year. Let's hope more people will start using petrol so prices go down.

7. Is it true that petrol is flammable? Should I empty the tank and store the petrol somewhere else while the car is in the garage?

8. Is there an automatic system to prevent gasoline from catching fire or exploding in an accident. What does this cost?

9. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution to these problems?

10.I have heard that cars with internal combustion based engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens?? Is that true??

I may have more questions later, but these are the most important ones to me at the moment. Thank you in advance for your reply.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

:lol:

Are you on TCL? I feel like there is a lot more EV angst over there. This would go over well.  :devil:

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

veeman

"Stephen Holmes" appears to be the author (maybe I'm wrong) and has a title of "Head of EV".  Pretty funny "The Onion" like post. 

Speed_Racer

Haha quality post! EV has legitimate pros & cons, but some of the edge cases some people use as "proof that EV will never work" are pretty ridiculous.

Soup DeVille

I mean, there's no reason why a modern car can't be setup for 1-pedal driving...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ChrisV

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 21, 2021, 01:48:23 PM

Are you on TCL? I feel like there is a lot more EV angst over there. This would go over well.  :devil:

I think I'll post it over there to see what happens.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 22, 2021, 01:17:37 PM
I mean, there's no reason why a modern car can't be setup for 1-pedal driving...

Downshift and slow down...?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NomisR on July 22, 2021, 03:02:17 PM
Downshift and slow down...?

Most cars do the downshifting automatically. You very well could set the pedal for push hard= gas. Let off, brake, let off more, more brake (all the way to stop).
Will

NomisR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 22, 2021, 07:31:08 PM
Most cars do the downshifting automatically. You very well could set the pedal for push hard= gas. Let off, brake, let off more, more brake (all the way to stop).

This would be really annoying, we already get enough random sporadic braking as is because people don't know how to drive.. I can't imagine how much more fucked up traffic would be with this.

CaminoRacer

Having the system push the hydraulic brakes would be a bit more complicated since it has to apply force. But I guess the automatic braking systems are already common in a lot of cars now.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 22, 2021, 10:56:26 PM
Having the system push the hydraulic brakes would be a bit more complicated since it has to apply force. But I guess the automatic braking systems are already common in a lot of cars now.

Yeah. Most cars have some sort of automatic emergency braking or adaptive cruise. The hardware is already mostly there.

My point is that if people really wanted to drive single pedal, they could make cars that do. I just don't think most people want to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 21, 2021, 01:48:23 PM

TCL?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 23, 2021, 06:03:40 AM
Yeah. Most cars have some sort of automatic emergency braking or adaptive cruise. The hardware is already mostly there.

My point is that if people really wanted to drive single pedal, they could make cars that do. I just don't think most people want to.

It would definitely take some adjustments.

I was talking with wife this morning about some of y'all's ideas about charging cars behind trucks etc...

Really the biggest obstacles to anything new is training people. If the motivation is there to learn, they will (like iPhone). But don't expect to force anything on everyone!
Will

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 24, 2021, 01:31:40 AM
TCL?

The Car Lounge. I think it started as VWVortex back in the early 2000's. At some point a bunch of different branded car forums referenced back to it as sort of a "general car talk" so while I would still say a plurality of users are VW fans, its really just a car forum. As far as I can tell it is the busiest too, which can be good or bad.

ChrisV

I posted it there in an EV thread and as predicted, a lot of uptight posters chimed in with idiocy.

CaminoRacer

I should find it over there. I think my account only has like 3 posts so they might have just called me a troll

GoCougs

Let's be honest, the anti-post to this would be 10x more brutal.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 26, 2021, 04:39:21 PM
I should find it over there. I think my account only has like 3 posts so they might have just called me a troll

I mostly just lurk nowadays. I've been a member there since 2006 (almost as long as I've been on CarSPIN!) but only have about a thousand posts.

CaminoRacer

TCL has always been too busy for me. So many posts that it's hard to keep up to date.

ChrisV

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 27, 2021, 09:46:49 AM
TCL has always been too busy for me. So many posts that it's hard to keep up to date.

It's unlike most forums that it's still actually quite active and hasn't been replaced by FB or Reddit. Yeah there are trolls like on most forums, but it really covers the range of car conversation and has some really cool people.