Frank Stephenson Questions If The New BMW 2-Series Was Designed In The Dark

Started by cawimmer430, August 06, 2021, 12:21:50 PM

cawimmer430

Frank Stephenson Questions If The New BMW 2-Series Was Designed In The Dark

The new BMW 2-Series has caused quite a lot of controversy since its unveiling but what does world-renowned automotive designer Frank Stephenson think of the design?

Well, the 2-Series is the latest car featured on Stephenson's ever-popular YouTube channel and as a self-professed BMW lover and enthusiast, he is seriously disappointed with what the German automaker has created.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SHRhN76BIc

Stephenson's commentary starts at the front end where he is pleasantly surprised that it features smaller kidney grilles than the new 4-Series. However, he says the headlights are a very odd shape and is confused as to why there are some many angles across the front end that serve no purpose. He dislikes the front end so much that he says it's not even possible to fix and you would have to start from scratch to make it look good.

His complaints continue when the new 2-Series is viewed from the side. He says that the long hood is simply cartoonish for a vehicle like this and would only make sense if the car had a massive V12 or V16 engine. He also points out an odd Z-shaped design line across the doors. The rocker panel is also overly complex.

The rear-end of the new 2-Series isn't its saving grace, either. Stephenson appears to be in shock when looking at the two-door from the rear, simply stating "This...is...not...good." The taillights share no similarities to the headlights and Stephenson questions if the car was perhaps designed in the dark. There are also too many lines, angles, and shapes across the rear fascia, he adds.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/08/frank-stephenson-questions-if-the-new-bmw-2-series-was-designed-in-the-dark/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

I would have to agree... It's just simply not as attractive as previous cars and I can't fathom WTF bmw designers are doing these days
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 06, 2021, 12:21:50 PM
...He says that the long hood is simply cartoonish for a vehicle like this and would only make sense if the car had a massive V12 or V16 engine...

Isn't an I6 more or less the same length as a V12? And since weight distribution matters quite a bit to BMW engineers, they need to mount that length of an engine behind the front wheels.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 09, 2021, 06:10:37 AM
Isn't an I6 more or less the same length as a V12? And since weight distribution matters quite a bit to BMW engineers, they need to mount that length of an engine behind the front wheels.

The old 2-series didn't have that issue.

The grille and the greenhouse are the only two elements that look OK.  The rest is a disaster of terrible proportions or incohesive design.  This makes the Bangle era cars look like works of art.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

My biggest issue with the design, aside from the hideous front and rear, is the bland overall appearance. The basic body shape looks like a not even radically facelifted model of the previous version. In short - nothing new and boring.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie