Mercedes just announced almost all V8s are suspended for the US market for 2022

Started by CaminoRacer, August 13, 2021, 09:12:39 PM

CaminoRacer

Due to supply chain issues? Seems like 2022 may be shaping up to be the worst year for shortages in a long time. The Covid snowball is still getting worse in a lot of sectors, maybe not get better until next summer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/p3u1wd/mercedes_just_announced_almost_all_v8s_are/

QuoteToday MBUSA announced to its dealers that almost all V8s, including all AMGs, are dead for the US market for the 2022 model year.

The C63, GLC63, E63, GLE580, GLS580, GLE63, GLS63, GLS600 Maybach and the G550 and G63 are done.

Yes, the G class isn't coming back for 2022. MB is claiming it's due to supply chain issues.

Sold 2022 Model Year orders are included. If you have that 2022 G63 on order you're beat. G class production is supposedly continuing for the 2021 MY through December though.

The S580 and S580 Maybach are the only cars not affected.

I'll send a copy of the file to the mods if they want proof but I'd rather not post an internal dealer memo here.

Sad, but not unsurprising I suppose. There was indication that this is not permanent so production may resume once supply chain issues are sorted out.

QuoteDue to privacy concerns we will not be posting the internal memo, but OP has provided this documentation to the mod staff and it corroborates the post.

Relevant text makes it seem that this is largely due to supply issues. There is not definitive information in the memo regarding the duration of the V8 production suspension.

MBAG has prioritized its focus to comply with various global, external and internal requirements, as well as several other factors, including but not limited to, challenges in the supply chain that have an impact on the product portfolio offered in the US market
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Submariner

Jesus.  Used G's are already going for 20-30k above MSRP.  This is going to drive the used market nuts.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

What is it about the V8s that they can not source? I would have thought they would sacrifice I4s to sell high margin V8s.

Laconian

Perhaps there is a part that is peculiar to their specific V8 which is in short supply?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I've heard that gaskets are in short supply due to the rubber market
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

About the only dealership around me that actually has a decent amount of cars on the lot is the BMW dealer.  Everything else is probably <10% of what is normally sitting on the lot.  Crazy times...

I don't know if it's a trend, but Alfa is significantly decontenting 2022 models as well.  I have to assume it's to cover up supply chain weaknesses.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on August 14, 2021, 07:20:45 PM
Perhaps there is a part that is peculiar to their specific V8 which is in short supply?

Any number of high precision parts could be the culprit.
I've been saying that the "chip shortage" is only the most visible thing slowing down production- any number of a thousand different things were going to slow it just as much should the chip supply be corrected tomorrow.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on August 14, 2021, 02:06:49 PM
What is it about the V8s that they can not source? I would have thought they would sacrifice I4s to sell high margin V8s.

This is what Chrysler/Stellantis is doing. Production of the Grand Wagoneer is being pushed ahead even while lower tier models are experiencing shutdowns.
If they're going to sell 1 car, its going to be the expensive one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie