2022 GR 86 v 2022 GTI v 2021 Miata

Started by Rich, August 17, 2021, 09:21:39 AM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on August 24, 2021, 08:31:12 AM
I think the BRZ looks better, and World Rally Blue is my favorite color of all time.  I'm going to be really sad if the Toyota is noticeably better to drive and I have to settle for some awful color.  Or spend a lot of money swapping in GR86 stuff into a WRB BRZ.

I'll be curious to see how much of an impact it has as well. I haven't seen anything on the BRZ yet. Do we know when it is being released (media reviews and so on)?

CaminoRacer

I've been wondering how the BRZ would compare. Sounds like I'd prefer the Toyota version.

I like WRB but I think I am going to keep the red car streak alive. Both Subaru and Toyota should have a good red option.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 24, 2021, 08:44:58 AM
I'll be curious to see how much of an impact it has as well. I haven't seen anything on the BRZ yet. Do we know when it is being released (media reviews and so on)?

I think I remember hearing it was 2 weeks after the GR86, so it should be soon.  I haven't heard if they're doing a media event at a track or something or if they're just sending out a press fleet.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 24, 2021, 09:14:15 AM
I've been wondering how the BRZ would compare. Sounds like I'd prefer the Toyota version.

I like WRB but I think I am going to keep the red car streak alive. Both Subaru and Toyota should have a good red option.

I'm pretty sure they both offer the same shade of red, so you're good.  I think Toyota called it Track bRed :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

BRZ videos are out!  The big differences I could pick up on:

BRZ has in comparison to the GR86:

- Aluminum front knuckles
- Stiffer front springs
- Softer rear springs
- Different sway bars
- More focus on lightening of suspension components
- Uses some different Subaru parts for the rear suspension?  Not sure what exactly

End result seems to be:

- Not as tail happy, more understeer at the limit
- Slightly quicker around the track from just being more planted
- Less body roll

Sounds relatively minor overall.  Phew.  I was afraid it was going to be drastically different.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

That could potentially work well for street class autocross with a slighter larger rear sway bar.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

I watched a couple of the reviews. Seems like it is more or less the same. I have to wonder if they are overselling the suspension differences if I am being honest.

I'd love to be able to drive them back to back on a track to find out for myself though.  :lol:

edited to add: One of the reviews said the BRZ has a take rate of 80% for manuals. That is pretty amazing.

AutobahnSHO

Rich's 86 was ridiculously fun for the few minutes I drove it.

I just can't see loving an RF. Love the soul red though!!! But I may consider an NC PRHT some day......
Will

Laconian

You get the RF so that you can love it more when the top's up. They look breathtaking when they're washed and polished.

If I lived in another climate and had the top down all the time I would have gone with the ragtop.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Great video!

Made me want to get a GT86...and a Porsche 944  :wub:
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on September 02, 2021, 01:15:25 PM
You get the RF so that you can love it more when the top's up. They look breathtaking when they're washed and polished.

If I lived in another climate and had the top down all the time I would have gone with the ragtop.

Gotcha. Ragtop it is :lol:
Will