2022 Mercedes-Benz C-Class All Terrain Is Your Go-Anywhere C-Class

Started by cawimmer430, August 18, 2021, 11:55:49 AM

cawimmer430

I find the new C-Class to look rather dull, but the All-Terrain model injects some much-needed beefiness into the design. This looks rather good.

2022 Mercedes-Benz C-Class All Terrain Is Your Go-Anywhere C-Class

Mercedes-Benz has expanded its range of 'rugged' estate models with the launch of the new 2022 Mercedes-Benz C-Class All-Terrain, following in the footsteps of the larger E-Class All-Terrain.

A number of off-road-inspired parts differentiate the C-Class All-Terrain from a regular C-Class Estate. For example, it offers 1.5 inches (40 mm) of additional ground clearance and has been outfitted with a unique front grille, front and rear skid plates, and flared wheel arches. The new body parts mean the All-Terrain is slightly larger than the Estate, stretching 0.15 inches (4 mm) longer and sitting 0.8 inches (21 mm) wider.

The German automaker has developed a unique array of 17 to 19-inch wheel designs for the All-Terrain and as all models are based on the Avantgarge exterior trim level, they feature various polished aluminum accents. Trim on the B-pillars and bars of the rear side windows is finished in high-gloss black and should customers want, they can also specify the Night Package that adds more high-gloss black accents.

In addition to bumping up the ride height, Mercedes-Benz has fitted the four-link front suspension with slightly larger steering knuckles. The car also features two new Dynamic Select driving modes; Offroad and Offroad+ with hill-descent control or, as Mercedes calls it, Downhill Speed Regulation.

The car has also been modified to make it more credentialed at towing. For example, it can be optioned with a partially electric trailer hitch and swiveling ball-head and ESP trailer stabilization system as an optional extra. There is also an available trailer maneuvering assistant that automatically regulates the steering angle of the towing vehicle at speeds of up to 3.1 mph (5 km/h) to help with low-speed maneuvering. It can tow up to 1,800 kg (3,968 lbs).

Fitted as standard on all C-Class All-Terrain models is the carmaker's 4MATIC all-wheel drive system that can send up to 45 per cent of power to the front wheels and 55 per cent to the rear axle. In terms of engines, the car is offered with either a 2.0-liter four-cylinder gas engine with an integrated starter-generator and a 2.0 four-cylinder diesel with an integrated starter-generator and a 48-volt electrical system.

Mercedes-Benz will showcase the C-Class All-Terrain to the public at the upcoming International Motor Show in Munich next month. The car will not be offered in the U.S. and European pricing has yet to be announced.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH_ZLIs1Efo

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/08/2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-all-terrain-is-your-go-anywhere-c-class/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Has MB done this type of car before? Reminds me of the Audi All-Road, which I think was just an A6 wagon with a taller suspension and some small design changes to make it look more outdoorsy.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 18, 2021, 11:58:02 AM
Has MB done this type of car before? Reminds me of the Audi All-Road, which I think was just an A6 wagon with a taller suspension and some small design changes to make it look more outdoorsy.

Yes, E-Class All-Terrain.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Not bad looking in a pedestrian sort of way.  A bit squinty looking up front, but I don't think anyone really cares about style anymore.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 18, 2021, 01:38:59 PM
Not bad looking in a pedestrian sort of way.  A bit squinty looking up front, but I don't think anyone really cares about style anymore.

The best thing about this car is in IMO the interior: stunning - except for the hideous steering wheel.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 18, 2021, 04:42:29 PM
The best thing about this car is in IMO the interior: stunning - except for the hideous steering wheel.
Yes, a very nice interior...other than the vents trying to dominate everything.

What's wrong with the steering wheel?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

I hate this fake offroad trend, with functionless under body protection. The only one of these I really liked was the first generation Audi allroad which had the torsen differential at the center, a diff locker at the rear, and low range. The new allroad does not even have the active torque distribution that the RS models have.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 18, 2021, 04:52:24 PM
What's wrong with the steering wheel?

It looks terrible. MB had such nice steering wheels in say their current small cars (like the A-Class) and then they churn out a steering wheel which just looks terrible and dull at the same time.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

I would ship one as an SUV replacement... But not available here because it's a "wagon"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV