A4 compared to 3er

Started by Tom, February 06, 2006, 04:01:18 PM

Tom

Which one do you feel has better driving dynamics?

Raza

This is probably in the wrong forum.

But...3 series.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

I would say 3-series hands down on the driving dynamics. The A4 has other qualities that make it worthwhile (interior quality, style, Quattro, style, lower price, style... :lol: ) but when it comes to purely driving the 3-series does everything as good or better than the A4.

Raza

QuoteI would say 3-series hands down on the driving dynamics. The A4 has other qualities that make it worthwhile (interior quality, style, Quattro, style, lower price, style... :lol: ) but when it comes to purely driving the 3-series does everything as good or better than the A4.
The new A4's price really isn't noticeably lower than the 3er.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

QuoteThis is probably in the wrong forum.

I don't think so.  The question is about driving dynamics of sport cars, not luxury features.

TBR

I am sure the 3-series drives better. It is RWD and lighter (though not by as much you would think). But, between the two I would definitely by an A4, no contest.

ifcar

3-Series, no question.  

Tom

I hear the A4 is a better high-speed traveler and a more solid autobahn car.

???

Raza

QuoteI hear the A4 is a better high-speed traveler and a more solid autobahn car.

???
All German cars are good at high speeds.  If the new A4 is nearly as good at high speeds as my Passat is, then it's amazing at high speeds.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteI would say 3-series hands down on the driving dynamics. The A4 has other qualities that make it worthwhile (interior quality, style, Quattro, style, lower price, style... :lol: ) but when it comes to purely driving the 3-series does everything as good or better than the A4.
Oh yes it is.

The only way they are even remotely close is considering a RWD 3-series to a AWD A4. But AWD to AWD the A4 has a significant price advnatage.

Even AWD to RWD it has a price advnatage of 2k or so comparably equipped.

Raza

Oh yes it is.

The only way they are even remotely close is considering a RWD 3-series to a AWD A4. But AWD to AWD the A4 has a significant price advnatage.

I believe I equipped them within $500 of each other.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteI hear the A4 is a better high-speed traveler and a more solid autobahn car.

???
The A4 is really good at high speed...I take it over 160 kph regularly.

I haven't driven the new 3er that fast...actually I don't think I got it above 80 kph (test drove them on an autocross circuit), but I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't equally adept at high speed.

I took my Z3 on a top speed run and hit 125+ mph and it was plenty stable. I would expect the 3-series to at least match my Z3, and in all liklihood be better.

Colonel Cadillac

The Allroad is incredibly stable at high speeds, but I have only gotten to 100+ speeds in the Volvo and the Allroad, and the Volvo is a pretty crappy comparison.  

SJ_GTI

Oh yes it is.

I believe I equipped them within $500 of each other.
The the 3-series was lacking in equipment...?

I built and A4 2.0TQ 6MT with sunroof, premium, and tech package, along with sport suspension, rear airbags (not sure if 3er has this but I added it anyway), and headlight washer (needed to match cold weather package on 3er) for $36,835. A 325i 6MT with sport, premium, and cold weather package (heated seats and fold-down rear seat are standard on the A4) along with satellite (prewire only, this is standard on A4) and 6-disc (trunk mounted! In dash is standard on the A4) cd player was $38,605.

Try building a 325xi and the difference goes up another ~1500.

TBR

A4 2.0t Quattro 6-spd:
Base- $30,340
Metallic Paint
Sunroof Pack (thank you Audi for separating leather away from the Premium Pack)
Bose Sound System with Sirius
Sports Suspension
Total- $34,460

BMW 325i 6-spd:
Base- $31,595
Metallic Paint
Leather
Sport Pack
Fold Down Rear Seats (I assume the Audi has this)
Premium Sound System
Satellite Radio
Total- $37,390

However, to be completely fair, BMW's sport pack consists of more than just the sports suspension (though I don't want any of that stuff). In fact, other than that sports suspension its contents are almost identical to the Audi's premium pack. So, select that and the Audi totals up to $36,310. So, RWD v. AWD the Audi is still a grand cheaper.

SJ_GTI

QuoteA4 2.0t Quattro 6-spd:
Base- $30,340
Metallic Paint
Sunroof Pack (thank you Audi for separating leather away from the Premium Pack)
Bose Sound System with Sirius
Sports Suspension
Total- $34,460

BMW 325i 6-spd:
Base- $31,595
Metallic Paint
Leather
Sport Pack
Fold Down Rear Seats (I assume the Audi has this)
Premium Sound System
Satellite Radio
Total- $37,390

However, to be completely fair, BMW's sport pack consists of more than just the sports suspension (though I don't want any of that stuff). In fact, other than that sports suspension its contents are almost identical to the Audi's premium pack. So, select that and the Audi totals up to $36,310. So, RWD v. AWD the Audi is still a grand cheaper.
I put metallic paint in at first, but took it out since Audi will charge you between 450-750 depending on the color. In the end I used obsidian black vs jet black.

Also if you choose the bose sound system you should in theory choose the logic7 sound system from BMW. But...both sound systems are both pretty damn good so I didn't bother. Since the A4 is pre-wired for satellite you can have it added at the dealer for around 400 USD without the bose.

TBR

I just built like I would if I was buying.

BMWDave

Why dont I join the party....my Land Rover is incredibly stable at high speeds :lol:

But my vote goes to the 3er, hands down.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

QuoteI just built like I would if I was buying.
So did I.  :lol:

That's how I knew the A4 is significantly cheaper. I have been playing around with configurations on and off for the last two months since I may be moving back to NJ this summer. These two cars are the top two on my list of cars for purchase.

Fire It Up

QuoteWhy dont I join the party....my Land Rover is incredibly stable at high speeds :lol:

But my vote goes to the 3er, hands down.
Yeah, its stably taking off like a 747.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

That's how I knew the A4 is significantly cheaper. I have been playing around with configurations on and off for the last two months since I may be moving back to NJ this summer. These two cars are the top two on my list of cars for purchase.
Cool. I really wish Audi would sell either the Tech pack or just the Bi-xenons away from the Premium pack. Their option system is as bad as Infiniti's  :banghead:  

SJ_GTI

Cool. I really wish Audi would sell either the Tech pack or just the Bi-xenons away from the Premium pack. Their option system is as bad as Infiniti's  :banghead:
I agree. I like the HID's, but the rest of the tech package is worthless. That being said I would get the premium package on the 3er so i end up with the same useless equipment either way.  :banghead:  

Raza

Packages are teh suxxor.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Based purely on driving dynamics, the 3er is better.  But taking in the whole package and price, IMO the A4 is better.  If I was buying one or the other, I'd probably go w/ the A4 2.0T Quattro 6-MT.

IMO while the 3er has slightly better driving dynamics, the driving dynamics are relatively close.  I like the looks of the A4 better, the interior is significantly better, and it's cheaper.  Finally, and I realize I'm being a little vain here, but the 3er is the official vehicle of spoiled 18 year old girls who's daddy is paying and who have absolutely no appreciation of the driving dynamics whatsoever but buy it for the blue and white prop.  I'm not sure if I want to join that club.

Lebowski

QuotePackages are teh suxxor.
Both audi and bmw completely rape you on option packages.  They both have attractive base prices, but both can approach $40-$45k real quick.

I wonder if BMW/A4 have been quietly raising prices due to the strength of the Euro.  I never optioned either of them out 2-3 years ago so I can't be sure how much they were nicely equipped back then, but I have a hunch they tweaked option packages here and there to raise the price of well equipped vehicles while the base prices stayed relatively flat.

Tom

The reason I asked is because of very limited experience with both cars.  What I noticed is the the A4 feels more low-to-the-ground, sturdy, and heavier while the 3er is lighter, more tossable, has very nicely-weighted steering, and has a slick shifter.  However these opinions are almost completely unvalid since they are based on ~15 mins apiece on slow, local roads going less than 30.  So I'm seeking more opinions on 2 directly competitive sport sedans.  Thanks to those who have chimed in so far.

Tom

Lebowski, when's the Vette coming in?  You must be a little eager.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI wonder if BMW/A4 have been quietly raising prices due to the strength of the Euro.  I never optioned either of them out 2-3 years ago so I can't be sure how much they were nicely equipped back then, but I have a hunch they tweaked option packages here and there to raise the price of well equipped vehicles while the base prices stayed relatively flat.
Considering the weakness of the USD its amazing Europeans makes can even sell in the US. I can only assume they had some decent long-term hedging contracts to offset the currency difference.

Hell, even up here in the great white north cars are significantly more expensive. If I was buying an A4 equipped like I described earlier it would cost me 48,585 CAD, which is over 42k USD. That's a significant premium just for being outside the US, and probably better reflects the real cost of the car.

Raza

QuoteThe reason I asked is because of very limited experience with both cars.  What I noticed is the the A4 feels more low-to-the-ground, sturdy, and heavier while the 3er is lighter, more tossable, has very nicely-weighted steering, and has a slick shifter.  However these opinions are almost completely unvalid since they are based on ~15 mins apiece on slow, local roads going less than 30.  So I'm seeking more opinions on 2 directly competitive sport sedans.  Thanks to those who have chimed in so far.
Truly.  I'm here to help.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I havent driven either of the redesigned ones, but from what I've read probably the 3er.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*