Ford Maverick

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2023, 04:57:17 PM
A small truck has an awesome ROI. Your wife will love it. The big furniture section of FB Marketplace is now unlocked!

LOL.
When we were living in Alexandria VA in a 1300 sq.ft. townhouse there were LOTS of places to go shopping. But our question became "where would we put it?"

That's still our mantra- we have too much stuff, looking to clean the garage up this year and build a very accommodating guest room.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Lol I need to mute the fake noise speaker some. I don't mind the fake driving noise but the backup beep is obnoxious!

https://youtu.be/hwxWabeanls

There is a wire with a resistor you can plug into the speaker lead, but I just want to make it quieter, not disable it.
Will

CaminoRacer

Maybe some foam tape on the speaker would work
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 01, 2023, 07:12:10 PM
LOL.
When we were living in Alexandria VA in a 1300 sq.ft. townhouse there were LOTS of places to go shopping. But our question became "where would we put it?"

That's still our mantra- we have too much stuff, looking to clean the garage up this year and build a very accommodating guest room.

We've spiffed up our guest room on a reasonable budget by getting rid of our old spare particle board stuff and replacing it with real wood furniture from FB Marketplace.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Oh wow. That fake motor noise is awful!! It sounds like a chainsaw! Why would people opt for that over quietness?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 01, 2023, 07:47:51 PM
Maybe some foam tape on the speaker would work

That's what I'm thinking. Speaker is under front bumper.
Will

Laconian

Rig up an analog band pass filter?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2023, 08:12:21 PM
Oh wow. That fake motor noise is awful!! It sounds like a chainsaw! Why would people opt for that over quietness?

Too cheap to engineer better sounds?
Will

AutobahnSHO

They didn't put the window sticker on, so we have it forever

Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2023, 10:14:28 PM
Rig up an analog band pass filter?

Snipping wires is far easier.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 02, 2023, 03:32:52 PM

If he wanted to keep the backup beep.

But yeah probably all that can just go away.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 02, 2023, 03:32:52 PM

Then you get all kinds of error messages. Plus it's illegal. I read some guy put the "bypass" wire on his and the dealership took it off thinking it was causing issues when it was in for service.
-It's a connecter with a resistor you put in-line to the connector on the speaker.

The forward/reverse noise generator and backup beep both come from the same speaker. :(

I'm not super concerned with the illegal part- odds of running over someone while backing up are pretty low. But I'm sure it wouldn't be good at trial.

The driving noise is dumb but whatever. But seriously that backup beep is SO LOUD and obnoxious I told wife about it and she was in living room and texted me she heard it when I reversed out of the garage the first time.
Will

AutobahnSHO

I KNOW- a switch in the cabin to turn it on/off!?!?!! Would be a simple enough mod...
Will

SJ_GTI

Congrats! It looks great!

MrH

Congrats!  So now you have a truck, minivan, and miata?  Wife dailys the mini van, and you drive the Maverick I take it?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 02, 2023, 08:57:36 PM
Then you get all kinds of error messages. Plus it's illegal. I read some guy put the "bypass" wire on his and the dealership took it off thinking it was causing issues when it was in for service.
-It's a connecter with a resistor you put in-line to the connector on the speaker.

The forward/reverse noise generator and backup beep both come from the same speaker. :(

I'm not super concerned with the illegal part- odds of running over someone while backing up are pretty low. But I'm sure it wouldn't be good at trial.

The driving noise is dumb but whatever. But seriously that backup beep is SO LOUD and obnoxious I told wife about it and she was in living room and texted me she heard it when I reversed out of the garage the first time.

I don't think its illegal to cut it out.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 03, 2023, 08:25:49 AM

+1

Maybe in Germany.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

:wtf:  I just listened to that video.  Why did they make the noise sound like a terrible diesel idle?

The Bolt sounds ethereal.  Wife said it sounds like what she thinks a near death experience would sound like :lol:  I think it's more Jetsons than anything.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

The Jetsons had the sound figured out years ago.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

How do you think the noise maker is connected? CAN bus?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on April 03, 2023, 12:18:32 PM

I would assume LIN, which is really just another form off CANbus.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 03, 2023, 06:15:34 AM
Congrats! It looks great!

Quote from: MrH on April 03, 2023, 07:56:34 AM
Congrats!  So now you have a truck, minivan, and miata?  Wife dailys the mini van, and you drive the Maverick I take it?

Thanks guys. :)   

If it's not supposed to rain, I take Miata and she'll take Mav. If it's going to rain I'd take Mav and she'd take Odyssey. (I drive 20 miles, she drives about 6.)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 03, 2023, 12:18:32 PM
Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 03, 2023, 12:20:14 PM
I would assume LIN, which is really just another form off CANbus.

The "bypass" ($40) is just a resistor and loopback in a wire you plug into the speaker wire, so I assume it's analog there.

People are hacking this truck like crazy- I read of people spending $600 in parts to add adaptive cruise control and lane centering (only to certain trims that already have lane departure warning). Another hack to add cruise control with just a different steering wheel.

Both those hacks and many others involve "FORSCAN" software to plug into the vehicle computer and has very very granular configurations available.
https://forscan.org/howto.html  (does it come with free Russian spyware?)

So the sounds CAN be disabled that way. I'll look at either an inline switch to turn it on/off (and deal with warnings unless I put right resistor in?) or stuffing the speaker with foam?  Or should I just punch a bunch of holes in or remove the cone? LOL

https://youtu.be/H_jZJxMrNrY?t=14
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 03, 2023, 08:25:49 AM

You forget all the nanny laws passed the last few years. I'm sure it's only Federal law to remove safety devices from cars, so really no one is going to check?
(Unless one has nazi safety inspections)
Will

AutobahnSHO

BTW first commute today got 42mpg... mixed highway/ street driving.

I'm kinda already used to it- besides the android auto, couple of nice features (lane warnings), it just drives like a vehicle. Very capable, nothing flashy, feels better planted than Odyssey and doesn't feel like a giant hog of the road.

We'll get the bedliner sprayed in Wednesday so we can do truckey things- don't want to scratch it up before that.
Will

Laconian

42mpg on a truck is absolutely amazing! No wonder the lines for the Maverick are so long.

AutobahnSHO

Ready to do trucky things!

Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 05, 2023, 05:49:07 PM
Ready to do trucky things!

Certainly a nice thing being able to toss it into the bed of a truck instead of, say, the cargo area of the Odyssey.......no carpets to get all dirty and such. :rockon:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 05, 2023, 03:15:14 PM
42mpg on a truck is absolutely amazing! No wonder the lines for the Maverick are so long.

I'm up to 43. Some people are getting 600 miles on the 13gal tank.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 05, 2023, 05:52:22 PM
Certainly a nice thing being able to toss it into the bed of a truck instead of, say, the cargo area of the Odyssey.......no carpets to get all dirty and such. :rockon:

Definitely! That's my 29er, an extra bike would be tricky, people use those tailgate mats. I laughed when I saw pickups with bike racks on the hitch, but I get it now, I might want to do that too.

ALSO, the bed is lower than most trucks, people can reach over and put things in/ take out without all the work.
Will