NHTSA Allows Adaptive Headlights

Started by Morris Minor, February 18, 2022, 05:14:55 AM

Morris Minor

About time. US headlight regulations have a long history of being behind the curve.
(Also, I don't mind them, but red turn signals are an oddity here. Wonder if they'll get to those.)

The U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a final rule today allowing automakers to install adaptive driving beam headlights on new vehicles. This satisfies a requirement in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law more than a year and a half ahead of schedule.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-allow-adaptive-driving-beam-headlights-new-vehicles-improving-safety-drivers

Oh and here's the final document: 327 pages of research findings and specs.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/2022-02/ADB-Final-Rule-02-01-2022-web.pdf
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Maybe I'm getting old, but some of these new headlights are out of control.  I had a new bmw behind me the other day and even with my rear view mirror tinted there was a spot in my mirror with intensity that would rival the sun

I don't think beam forming would have solved this.  It wasn't a glare issue, just an intensity of jamming a billion candle power into something the size of a quarter.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

My rear view mirror is permanently in the dim mode, and I wear sunglasses at night.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on February 18, 2022, 05:42:22 AM
Maybe I'm getting old, but some of these new headlights are out of control.  I had a new bmw behind me the other day and even with my rear view mirror tinted there was a spot in my mirror with intensity that would rival the sun

I don't think beam forming would have solved this.  It wasn't a glare issue, just an intensity of jamming a billion candle power into something the size of a quarter.

Ride height and/or leaving the high beams on?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

I thought for a while all the blinding headlights were aftermarket LED conversions- some probably are, but there are now far too many and on too new and nice of cars.

I actually had to adjust the headlights on my 4Runner lower than stock to not feel like I was blinding everybody.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on February 18, 2022, 09:03:44 AM
Ride height and/or leaving the high beams on?

Neither... It's just there lights are like point sources of a god awful intensity.  So even if the light is not shining directly on you, they still can burn a whole in your retina just catching a glimpse in your mirror.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

My '21 CX-5's lights follow the steering direction on high beam - it's all done with switching around the LED sources... a little bit adaptive.

r0tor

My alfa's headlights move with the steering wheel - it's amazing for twisty backroads

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on February 18, 2022, 10:05:27 AM
My alfa's headlights move with the steering wheel - it's amazing for twisty backroads
Yup I love it. The good LED headlights were a selling point for me. The roads here are very twisty; you're often looking out of your side windows to see where you're going.

GoCougs

I do have a bit of Headlight Rage TBH.

In my area, they're abysmal with repainting lines, switched mostly to (black) asphalt-ish surface from the tried-n-true gray concrete, and they've gotten into the habit of turning off street lights, esp. on freeway ramps and intersections.

The G's head lights weren't so good - the SQ5's are literally 10x better, but, oh, the poor bastards who are driving toward me. "Do unto others before they do unto you" these days.

CaminoRacer

ND Miata headlights are great and the car is so low that they can't blind anyone except roadkill
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Thank god.  I get blinded all the time at night.  I already have super sensitive eyes to light, and after Lasik, it's only worse.

The biggest issue I've always had are idiots driving around with their brights on.  Lately, I've seen a ton of cars with one burnt out headlight, so they run their brights all the time :facepalm:  I wish cops would just pull over these offenders all the time.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MrH on February 22, 2022, 08:15:16 AM
Thank god.  I get blinded all the time at night.  I already have super sensitive eyes to light, and after Lasik, it's only worse.

The biggest issue I've always had are idiots driving around with their brights on.  Lately, I've seen a ton of cars with one burnt out headlight, so they run their brights all the time :facepalm:  I wish cops would just pull over these offenders all the time.
THIS! I know it's a pain in the ass to change the headlights on some of these newer cars but it's still not excuse!  :banghead:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

Lets go back to sealed beams. Easy to change if they burn out, and they aren't blinding anyone.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 22, 2022, 09:48:38 AM
Lets go back to sealed beams. Easy to change if they burn out, and they aren't blinding anyone.
Yes, they worked fine and were cheap and easy to replace.

As for whatever these modern headlights are, I can no longer tell if someone has their high-beam on or just that their lights are ultra bright and blinding me.  It used to be easy to tell when someone had their high-beams on when they shouldn't and you could just flick your lights and they would switch to low-beam.  I tried doing this a couple of times when cars coming at me had blindingly bright lights.  They then flicked their lights and the beams were even blindingly brighter.  No one needs lights that bright to see the road unless you're driving in a night-time rally.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 22, 2022, 09:48:38 AM

And no yellow lenses.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

The ones that are driving with the high beams are usually the ones that drive way under the speed limit.  Either that or they don't have headlights on, which is what I don't get because they're typically newer cars that have automatic headlights.

cawimmer430

Speaking of headlights... or rear lights, when you're behind one of these newer Audi's at night with LED blinkers and brake lights... those things blind the hell out of you.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 26, 2022, 05:43:20 PM
Speaking of headlights... or rear lights, when you're behind one of these newer Audi's at night with LED blinkers and brake lights... those things blind the hell out of you.

I've not noticed that, but the Audi rear fogs are pretty excruciating to look at..
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on February 27, 2022, 02:02:38 AM
I've not noticed that, but the Audi rear fogs are pretty excruciating to look at..

Their LED headlights are also blinding.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 27, 2022, 02:02:38 AM

Cars in the US are all over the place with the use of rear foglights.

i'd be willing to bet not 1 in 10 US drivers even know what those are.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 28, 2022, 07:38:39 PM
Cars in the US are all over the place with the use of rear foglights.

i'd be willing to bet not 1 in 10 US drivers even know what those are.

US drivers don't even know how to operate the headlights properly, how could they know anything about the rear?

NomisR

Do American and Japanese cars have rear fog lights?  I feel like only European cars seems to have it.

Morris Minor

I see clueless low-awareness Audi & VW drivers in the USA with the rear fogs on all the time. Just another way we sentient beings can be annoyed.

"There's no fog!" https://youtu.be/9DZXOANUaNk?t=53

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 01, 2022, 01:05:49 AM
Do American and Japanese cars have rear fog lights?  I feel like only European cars seems to have it.

I want to say its a bit hit and miss.

I remember the Olds Aurora having them- because I remember having to explain them to my Grandma. Of course, that's GM; the company that thinks back-up lights are there to indicate the car is in park.

r0tor

I use mine from time to time to fend off tailgaters

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT