Turo Nightmare

Started by veeman, February 22, 2022, 09:12:10 AM

veeman

Whoa, ha ha ha!!  Turo dropped the case!  Received this email from Turo this morning:

Hello XXX,

Thanks for reaching out Turo and for providing this information.

Fist, I would like to provide news about your claim. We have reviewed the evidence, and have determined that the claim is not currently eligible for coverage. Given that, we are going to close the claim, meaning you do not owe anything for damages.

If we charged you any amount for this claim, we'll refund it to the card we charged. You should see those funds back in your account within 3–5 business days.

If we placed a hold on your account as a result of this claim, it's now been removed.

If we receive any additional information from your host, we'll follow up with you. If that information shows the claim to be eligible for coverage, we'll let you know, and if there are any damages owed.

As a friendly reminder, if you want to dispute any transaction made from Turo with your bank or credit card company, please know we'll provide strong evidence to the company. This could impact your standing with the bank.

Thank you for your cooperation with this process. If you have any questions, just reach out.

In the meantime, we'll email you a survey to get your feedback about the claims experience. Your honest assessment will help us improve.

Best regards,

Isabela
Turo Claims Support

Our support team is available 8 am - 7 pm CT How to reach us: By email, respond to this message! Our direct line is 415-275-6141.

I dunno what happened in the meantime for them to wake up.  I hadn't yet given them an attorney's information with a letter of representation.  I had just given them my auto insurance information.  I was talking about this with a friend yesterday and he had reminded me that I might have legal coverage through my benefits provided by my work and I had forgotten about that.  I do pay for that (something like $7 a month).  Anyways, what a pain in the ass but it seems, at least right now, to be over. 

CaminoRacer

Oh good, now I don't have to drive down to Vegas with my toolbox :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Kudos to you for standing up to them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

State Farm just called me and the guy said this claim is "bullshit" (his words).  I told him I got an email this morning from Turo and they had dropped the case.  Maybe State Farm spoke to Turo last night or early this morning?  Not sure. 

Soup DeVille

Wait, he said his claim is bullshit, or yours?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 25, 2022, 12:21:58 PM
Wait, he said his claim is bullshit, or yours?

The State Farm rep who called me said the Turo claim is "bullshit".  I don't know who the State Farm guy who called me was.  I'm assuming my insurance agent forwarded my email and the photos Turo had sent me to a Las Vegas State Farm insurance adjuster.  It was a 1 minute conversation. 

The State Farm guy called me and said, "Hey XXX, this is (forgot his name) from State Farm.  This claim is total bullshit.  The photos with these scratches could have happened at any time..."

Me: "Hey thanks so much for calling.  Before you continue, I wanted to let you know that Turo emailed me this morning and dropped the case.  They were scammers."

State Farm guy: "Yeah totally.  Take care XXX"

Me: "Thanks bye"

So I'm not sure if this State Farm guy spoke with Turo last night or early this morning and that's why Turo dropped the case or Turo itself took the initiative and someone with a brain at Turo actually examined the photos and realized I was being obviously scammed.

Speed_Racer

I'm assuming the Mustang owner is going to get one hell of a 1-star review from you

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on February 24, 2022, 01:51:14 PM
Maybe 2o6 could spin a story out of it, with personal details redacted?

This was in my head as well... Turo would flip instantly
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 25, 2022, 01:03:01 PM
I'm assuming the Mustang owner is going to get one hell of a 1-star review from you

After I returned the car and was walking to the airport departure gate, I gave them 5 stars and the scammers returned the favor and wrote nice comments about me.  One day later I got the claim email from Turo.  The TURO app lets you message the owners and I also had both of the scammers' cell phone numbers.  So in my bewilderment, I texted them both using both the TURO app and their personal cell phone numbers.  After a few text exchanges, on their personal cell phone numbers I texted that they were swindlers and that I was not going to pay them anything and will get legal counsel.  I tried to change my review of them on the TURO app but it wouldn't let me change my 5 star rating or give a follow up rating.  I also was not able to delete or even edit my credit card info on their app.  The TURO app just had an unpaid balance of $500 related to this event.  Two days later, TURO still hadn't charged my credit card so I canceled my credit card number.  This morning the TURO app still indicated I had an outstanding balance of $500.  By this afternoon however it shows no balance remaining so TURO had removed it.

NomisR

Quote from: veeman on February 25, 2022, 01:56:45 PM

After I returned the car and was walking to the airport departure gate, I gave them 5 stars and the scammers returned the favor and wrote nice comments about me.  One day later I got the claim email from Turo.  The TURO app lets you message the owners and I also had both of the scammers' cell phone numbers.  So in my bewilderment, I texted them both using both the TURO app and their personal cell phone numbers.  After a few text exchanges, on their personal cell phone numbers I texted that they were swindlers and that I was not going to pay them anything and will get legal counsel.  I tried to change my review of them on the TURO app but it wouldn't let me change my 5 star rating or give a follow up rating.  I also was not able to delete or even edit my credit card info on their app.  The TURO app just had an unpaid balance of $500 related to this event.  Two days later, TURO still hadn't charged my credit card so I canceled my credit card number.  This morning the TURO app still indicated I had an outstanding balance of $500.  By this afternoon however it shows no balance remaining so TURO had removed it.

Email Turo and see if you can update your review of this guy.

GoCougs

Those don't even look like scratches - they look like light paint transfer/marring - imagine using hard plastic, or leather or wood - such as the edge of a dress shoe sole, and going to work.

If anything all of that looks fixable in minutes with a spot buff or clay bar. If Turo sent anyone to inspect the vehicle my bet is that is why the claim was dropped.

Raza

This is exactly why I don't get in with this person to person bullshit. I had one experience with AirBnB and it was a very deceptive, borderline fraudulent description of the apartment and after calm, polite negotiation and later vigorous debate with AirBnB, I ended up out $1500 and paying double rent for a month because I had to move to another apartment. That was it. I'll never use AirBnB again and that soured me for this entire experience. I would rather pay more and get a professional experience than deal with part-timers at best or scammers at worst. It's a shame, because Turo seems like such a cool idea and much better than getting another fucking Nissan Size Category for a rental, but it's that or deal with this shit over and over again.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on February 26, 2022, 12:13:59 AM
This is exactly why I don't get in with this person to person bullshit. I had one experience with AirBnB and it was a very deceptive, borderline fraudulent description of the apartment and after calm, polite negotiation and later vigorous debate with AirBnB, I ended up out $1500 and paying double rent for a month because I had to move to another apartment. That was it. I'll never use AirBnB again and that soured me for this entire experience. I would rather pay more and get a professional experience than deal with part-timers at best or scammers at worst. It's a shame, because Turo seems like such a cool idea and much better than getting another fucking Nissan Size Category for a rental, but it's that or deal with this shit over and over again.

I've had mostly good experiences with AirBnB and VRBO probably just because of good luck with that.  I don't want to spend money for three meals a day per family member so with a full kitchen, I can make a hot breakfast and maybe lunch too for much cheaper and faster than a restaurant.  Also when you have a big group of people with multiple families, an AirBnB/VRBO big ass house with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms can't be beat.  4 or 5 families with kids can't squeeze in a hotel room and play a party game and hotels usually have strict noise ordinances.  I did get screwed recently on AirBnB but that was my fault. I had to cancel last minute on a 5 night stay and a hotel would have refunded me 4 days.  I basically lost all my money on the AirBnB because of the last minute cancellation.

With cars, yeah I don't think I'll ever do Turo again.  The second car I rented by Turo last week (the day after the convertible Mustang fiasco) I got a 2019 BMW X3 for cheaper than I would have gotten a Nissan Versa at the airport rental counter.  The probability of this bullshit scammer scenario happening again is just too high however and not worth it.  I guess I could take a few minute video recording in bright light all around the car (before getting in and after returning) and post it to the owners to thwart potential scamming but.... I'm very soured about Turo.