Turo Nightmare

Started by veeman, February 22, 2022, 09:12:10 AM

veeman

Last week rented for the first time through Turo in Las Vegas.  Got a 2019 Mustang convertible, red with white vinyl stripes.  Beautiful car. The girl (who posted the car on Turo) and her husband met me at airport short term parking and handed over the keys.  No bad vibes.  Girl didn't say much and the guy was talkative and very pleasant. They looked to be in their 20s. Guy said he was in the military but now does his own business (he didn't say what).  No prior reviews on this particular Turo listing.  I had the car for three days and two nights.  I picked up my parents later on in the evening from the airport and for the next few days drove the car less than 100 miles. Never valeted it.  Only I drove it.  Didn't go on any gravel roads. When returning I filled it up with premium gas (3 or 4 gallons maybe) and I thought it weird that they wanted me to have it hand washed.  Whatever, I had a great time in town (I was there for an uncle and aunt's 50th wedding anniversary) so I texted them back that I didn't have time to get it washed and I'll give them cash when I drop off the car to them. The guy was cool with that and asked for $50 which he said was the cost for where they take the car for hand washing (because of the vinyl stripes he only hand washes the car).  Again I was annoyed at this but I was feeling great and upon return gave the guy $50. The girl who posted the Turo ad was also there with him.  I fist bumped them both (Covid bullshit) and left to catch my flight home.  I gave them 5 stars on Turo review and I got 5 stars from them on Turo review and they also posted nice comments about me. 

The next day I get an email from Turo that the owners have posted damage to the car and are making a claim for it.  I look at Turo and they've posted literally 100+ pictures of scratches all around the car (like all around it).  The guy has posted a tiny nick here, a small scratch there, each one next to a ruler.  Real close up shots.  I flip out.  I text them back calling them scammers, charlatans, swindlers and that I'm not paying for any of this.  I text them why did they give me a 5 star review and not say anything when I returned the car (the guy walked around the car inspecting it when I returned it).  The guy responds he thought these scratches would come out when he had the car hand washed but they didn't and he has pictures proving these scratches weren't on the car when he gave it to me.  I texted back goodbye and I will get legal involved. 

I tried to change my 5 star review on Turo but the app won't let me give another review or change my initial review. I complained to Turo that they were obvious scammers.  There's no f_cking way the car was scratched while I had it.  I always look around a rental car to make sure there's no damage after parking it.  On the Turo app it says I have declined Turo insurance (which the owners probably know I guess).  I never get rental insurance when renting in the U.S. because my own insurance company (State Farm) will cover any damage.  International I do (because auto insurance generally doesn't cover international) but domestically I never do.  I also didn't post any pictures of the car on Turo because there was no damage to the car when I returned it.  Even if I did post pictures, the guy has taken extreme close up views in bright light which would never show up on routine pics of the car in a dimly lit garage. 

Got a call from Turo a day later after the email from Turo indicating the owners had listed damage.  I was skiing in Utah with my family and picked up the phone on the slopes.  I was so pissed off and flustered I didn't let the Turo lady get a word in.  I said, "Thanks for calling.  These guys are swindlers.  Only I drove the car, it was never valeted, I didn't drive over any gravel roads, I didn't take any pictures because why would I take pictures of an undamaged car, and I didn't make any of these scratches.  These guys are scammers and I'm not going to pay for any of this bullshit. I'm going to get a lawyer and sue their ass for fraud. I have to go now.  I'm on a ski slope.  Thanks for your call.  Bye."

Over the weekend got an email from Turo with the following:

My name is Ariana. I'm part of the team helping you with the damage claim on your Turo trip with Sarah's 2019 Ford Mustang. We'll be here to answer any questions you have during this process.

Here's where things stand at the moment:

The host reported this damage: Front Hood, Driver-side Body, Passenger-side Body, Other.

As of now, we are still determining whether this claim will be covered. We'll be back in touch as soon as we have more information. We typically resolve claims within 1 business week. If we need more time, we'll let you know.

Your protection plan:

You declined a protection plan on this trip, which means you are fully financially responsible for all costs related to this damage claim.

Please view our Explanation of Guest Protection Plans page to better understand how your coverage works. We will reach out as soon as we have an update about the claims investigation, or if we need your help. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Ariana

Turo Claims Support

So now I'm back home and am trying to figure out what to do.  Should I call my insurance company State Farm and have them deal with this.  I'm assuming they'll cover me while I drive someone else's car (Turo).  Should I wait for a follow-up email from Turo before contacting a lawyer.  Should I call a lawyer in Las Vegas where I rented the car as opposed to a lawyer where I live (because the scammers are making the claim for something in Nevada).  Just really pissed off right now. 

CaminoRacer

I'd maybe wait and see what Turo says before hiring a lawyer.
If the scratches are under 3" they might consider it normal wear & tear?

https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/203990650-Wear-and-tear
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

I've done Turo twice, but these kind of horror stories is why I stopped a long time ago.  Sorry you have to deal with this.  Hopefully it gets dropped by Turo and you can forget about it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

I've seen horror stories from both sides about Turo, to me, it's not worth even bothering.  If it's just minor nicks and scratches, like Alex said, it might not be counted. 

GoCougs

Yikes. Good luck.

Not sure the process for Turo but to me it seems they'd need proof of condition at the time they handed over the keys. Did you do a walk around inspection, and note defects if any, such like that done when renting from Hertz or the like?

FoMoJo

That sounds like a royal pain in the ass.  Sue that bastards for disturbing your peace of mind.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

Yea shit like this is why I hesitate to use Turo.

On another note, why did you use Turo to rent a 2019 Mustang? You could've gotten something way cooler!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

veeman

Thanks for the replys fellas. 

I didn't take any pictures prior to driving or upon return because in the 25 years I've been renting cars, I've never been scammed before so it didn't even occur to me to do that.  I've also rented plenty of houses by AirBnB and VRBO and I don't take pictures before and after staying in the house. 

I rented this Mustang convertible because it was relatively cheap (< $100/day) and the owners would transport the car to the airport without any additional fee.  I figured my parents would also get a kick out of cruising top down the Las Vegas strip with me (although it ended up too cold and windy for me to keep the top down for them). 

This is the email I got back from Turo today:

I wanted to follow up and provide an update on this claim for you. Based on the evidence attached, we have determined the claim is eligible for coverage.

As part of the claims process, we need to move forward with charging an initial claim deposit of $500 to the payment method(s) on file. This charge will take place in 24 hours.

Your side of the story is important:
Please click here or respond to this email with any additional information you may have. Specifically, if there was another person or vehicle involved, let us know what happened. Please attach any insurance information, photos of the vehicle, and contact information of the other party. If you have personal auto insurance, please include that as well. Your personal insurance may help reduce your out-of-pocket expenses.

Here's what happens next:
We will update you again when we have final damage costs. If the damage costs are greater than $500, the deposit will be used towards amounts that are owed. If they are less than $500, the deposit will be applied towards the damage costs and the remainder will be refunded.

If you need to arrange a payment schedule with our collections agency, please respond to this email. We're happy to help get that set up for you, and you can ensure that this event doesn't impact your credit.

If you would like to read more about the claims process, you can click here to read more. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Best,
Carmen
Turo Claims Support

They attached 24 photos of the supposed scratches I did (all super close up shots taken in bright light).

I was fuming.  I called up Turo and said I dispute the claim and I will not pay the requested $500.  The Turo rep asked if I had any pictures.  I said No.  I said even if I took pictures I would not be able to dispute these scratches because standard photos would not show these scratches, all of which are magnified and under bright light.  I asked the Turo rep how would I be able to dispute the scratches with standard photos?  The Turo rep put me on a 10 second hold and repeated her same line that I need to show photos.  I told her I am being scammed and those scratches were there prior to me renting the car or alternatively the owners have scratched it and are fleecing me.  I again say that standard photos would not be able to show the car in enough detail to show these scratches.  The Turo rep repeats that "if I had photos..." I cut her off and say, "I'm not paying anything to scammers."  I hang up. 

I call my sister who is a lawyer (although a patent lawyer but nonetheless a lawyer).  She told me to not get emotional, don't call anyone any names, and just write a short email to Turo that I am not responsible for these scratches, and because of that I will not be able to give them the $500 deposit, and see what they say.  She said to call my auto insurance company (State Farm) tomorrow and let them know that you are disputing this charge but give them the details. She also said to call my credit card company and dispute any future charge from Turo.

I call my credit card company and they say that they cannot stop a future charge from Turo before it happens but to call back if Turo charges me $500 or whatever amount because of this and they will dispute the charge and not hold me responsible for it until the dispute is resolved.  Well that's annoying. 

Fucking Turo.  Fucking scammers. 

GoCougs

I'd hold the line that if the owners don't have "before" pictures, there is no legitimate claim. I'm surprised Turo doesn't have a more defined process for this situation.

I'd also immediately cancel the credit card used for the rental. Probably a PITA esp. if you have automatic payments set up for it, but 100% guarantee that you won't be charged. And who knows, $500 could only be the beginning.

The one risk I can see is that there could be legalese that they could come after you with a judgement or credit collections (ding), which would be way more expensive than $500, if successful. Maybe getting your auto insurance involved is a good compromise (which I hate TBH).

veeman

This is the bullshit the scammers posted:  And that's just 10 of their photos.  They've got 24 photos all around the car.  All bullshit. 

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2022, 10:45:13 PM
I'd hold the line that if the owners don't have "before" pictures, there is no legitimate claim. I'm surprised Turo doesn't have a more defined process for this situation.

I'd also immediately cancel the credit card used for the rental. Probably a PITA esp. if you have automatic payments set up for it, but 100% guarantee that you won't be charged. And who knows, $500 could only be the beginning.

The one risk I can see is that there could be legalese that they could come after you with a judgement or credit collections (ding), which would be way more expensive than $500, if successful. Maybe getting your auto insurance involved is a good compromise (which I hate TBH).

I really don't want to, but I might cancel the credit card tomorrow morning.  I have to sleep on it.  It's such a PITA.  I've got something like 10 to 15 autopayments on it.  I'm sure Turo will send it to collection or whatever.  I'll see what State Farm says.  If I have to I'll get a lawyer.  I'm just really pissed off right now and have been seething inside for the last few days. 

NomisR

lol, all of those "damages" seems like dirt from the wind in desert conditions and would've been wiped off with some detailing spray or at most clay bars.

Soup DeVille

Those definitely seem like clay bar fixable.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

"Look at all these scratches!"

*Proceeds to rest metal tape measure on uneven, painted surface and take picture with other hand*

:facepalm:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Those are the types of scratches and wear that comes from months and years of use, not a couple of days.

Speed_Racer

Oof this is a very bad look for Turo. I've never used them because my credit card doesn't consider them a valid car rental agency and thus my CC's rental insurance benefit wouldn't apply. But also because of a lack of standard procedures leading to issues like this. Good luck, hold firm, light them up on social media to have the situation escalated.

r0tor

They seem like a company that would freak out more over a few bad social media posts than a lawyer
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 23, 2022, 09:48:11 AM
Oof this is a very bad look for Turo. I've never used them because my credit card doesn't consider them a valid car rental agency and thus my CC's rental insurance benefit wouldn't apply. But also because of a lack of standard procedures leading to issues like this. Good luck, hold firm, light them up on social media to have the situation escalated.

Quote from: r0tor on February 23, 2022, 11:24:30 AM
They seem like a company that would freak out more over a few bad social media posts than a lawyer

Thanks guys.  I don't want my name or face out there on social media however and all the baggage that goes along with that.  I don't have a Twitter handle etc etc.  For that reason alone, I have to go the insurance/legal route.  I also don't want the scammers to start retaliating against me (they have my name, photo, and license which has my address).  Let me see what State Farm says.  If need be, I'll pay out of pocket for a lawyer. My sister in Chicago says she can help me with that but to first go through my insurance company and be adamant that I did not cause any of this damage. 

veeman

So as a short update, keep getting emails from TURO with no additional photos pre damage (I don't think they have any magnified images pre damage) and asking for my insurance information.  I canceled my credit card number.  I called my insurance company (State Farm) and explain the situation.  My insurance agent, someone I've worked with for years and knows me by name, tells me that normally the following will happen:

If I don't give them (Turo) my insurance information and cancel my credit card, they can file a police report and send the bill to collections.  If I give them my insurance information, they WILL file a claim.  Since I am contesting the claim but have no photos, most likely State Farm will ask for pre-scratch photos.  If it cannot be determined whether the scratches were there pre or post me renting the car, State Farm will likely split the damage bill with the owner's of the car and my rates will go up because I am considered at fault. 

I ask my agent what if I sue Turo successfully.  My agent said in that case, they would return my deductible to me and my rates would be returned to pre-claim status. 

So as much as it pains me, I gave Turo my insurance information and I gave my insurance agent an email explaining my side of the story as well as the 24 magnified photos of scratches. 

While I could wait to see what State Farm does, my spidey sense tells me they're just going to pay the damages because I don't have any photos and not do any due diligence in this obvious case of scamming because it's the easiest thing for them to do.  So I'm going to get a lawyer and sue Turo.  I don't care if I end up spending more or even a lot more. 

Laconian

Maybe 2o6 could spin a story out of it, with personal details redacted?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on February 24, 2022, 01:51:14 PM
Maybe 2o6 could spin a story out of it, with personal details redacted?

YES

NomisR

Getting media publicity would definitely be a good way to get this resolved in his favor, good thinking Kev.

Soup DeVille

Is he still renting the car?

Find someone you know to rent it again, and then drive it off a bridge and report it stolen.

No point in just hitting the deductible without using the coverage.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 24, 2022, 04:51:11 PM
Is he still renting the car?

Find someone you know to rent it again, and then drive it off a bridge and report it stolen.

No point in just hitting the deductible without using the coverage.

Over the past weekend, in that period of time between when you put your head down on your pillow and the time you've actually fallen asleep, I've had far more sinister thoughts about what to do to the scammers.  I'm past the rage stage now however.  I'm not sure what's the next stage called.  The cool, calm, and collected I'm going to sue your ass motherfucker stage. 

CaminoRacer

A few of us aren't far from Vegas... :lol:

NomisR

I don't see the car on Turo, plenty of white 2019 Mustang convertible but none with red and white stripe.

MrH

Look at the only review she's given to renters:

QuoteSuch an amazing guest! Took wonderful care of our mustang and returned it in almost flawless condition. Would love to rent to him again and we wish him all the best in future adventures

Almost flawless?  So he damaged it too?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

It's her husband/boyfriend I think. They both met me in the parking garage next to the airport when I got the car and returned it to them.  She hardly said a word.  He did all the talking.  Can't tell if the grubby hands in the photos are that of a woman or man.  I have a feeling it's him.  Whatever.  They're both scammers. 

MrH

Her only other review is by her husband/boyfriend?  You can totally turn her over to Turo for self dealing like this.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

Quote from: MrH on February 24, 2022, 07:47:19 PM
Her only other review is by her husband/boyfriend?  You can totally turn her over to Turo for self dealing like this.

Nah I don't know who the other review is from.  I'm just saying her Turo ad is likely completely managed by her boyfriend/husband.  It's her car probably but he runs the Turo ad and is the lead scammer.  That's my guess.