Zephyr name canned

Started by ifcar, February 08, 2006, 04:56:13 AM

ifcar

Ford Ditches Zephyr In Favor of Letters M, K, Z

Mere months after it went on sale, the Lincoln Zephyr is getting a name change to go with the Lincoln alphanumeric makeover now underway. With the new MKX crossover and MKS concept sedan in the pipeline, the Zephyr will take on the initials MKZ for 2007. At the same time, Ford says, the MKZ will get a mild styling update on the front end of the car and inside, where metallic inserts will be available in the place of standard wood finishes. The MKZ gets its power from Ford's new Cyclone 3.5-liter V-6, which is expected to make 250 horsepower. All-wheel drive will be added to the MKZ lineup as an option at the same time.

:rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

My insides just sunk.  That is one of my favorite names for a car.  It's also one of my favorite-looking.  :(  :rage:  

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Chris, it still looks the same from what I can tell:

Maybe they fixed the taillights, but it doesn't sound like it.

Raza

MKZ?  So when they make one based on the upcoming Fusion GT, it will be the Lincoln MKZ GT?

They should stop calling them Lincolns, too, that's too many letters.  

LNCN MKZ GT
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

Aside from the taillights and an interior that was nice, but didn't fit my tastes, I really liked the Zephyr... cool name too. Lincoln needs to drop this whole letter naming business, the only ones that do it that seem normal to me are the high-end manufacturers, and they've been doing it for long enough no one thinks anything of it. That is probably what Lincoln is trying to do, make themselves seem more high end, but I don't think that making up dumb letter combinations and ditching attractive model names is going to help.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SVT666

I like the name Zephyr  :(  

Catman

QuoteLincoln is doomed :(
Beat me to it. :P   I'm starting to feel like Andrew Kear. :nono:  

TBR

Not really a big deal. Now, if they kill the Navigator or Town Car names, then it is a big deal.

mazda6er

QuoteNot really a big deal. Now, if they kill the Navigator or Town Car names, then it is a big deal.
...and I'm sure they will.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

The SUV that was unveiled yesterday/today is uses the Navigator name.  

Catman

QuoteThe SUV that was unveiled yesterday/today is uses the Navigator name.
Soon to be the MXVZK. :P  

mazda6er

So did the Aviator (excuse me, MKX? :P)...until they changed it. Lincoln was already planning on the new naming system when that was unveiled, I believe.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

So did the Aviator (excuse me, MKX? :P)...until they changed it. Lincoln was already planning on the new naming system when that was unveiled, I believe.
The whole naming debacle just proves Lincoln is in disarray.

ifcar

But this was at the same time that they changed the Zephyr name, they wouldn't unveil it this late under that name to change it later.

Raza

QuoteNot really a big deal. Now, if they kill the Navigator or Town Car names, then it is a big deal.
...and I'm sure they will.
LNCN MKNVGR
LNCN MKZXTNCR
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

so cal cookie

Honda sued Ford over the use of MKX, and I had hope that that would convince them to abandon this stupid alpha-numeric thing, but i guess not. :banghead:  :rage:
Lincoln needs to figure out what the hell they are doing before they do anything else.

For those that can't see the changes in the front, the grill has a horizontal bar going across the middle of it, and the lower fascia has been revised.
New:

Old:

It's sad to see the Zephyr get caught up in this, because I like the car.  

TBR

"Honda sued Ford over the use of MKX, and I had hope that that would convince them to abandon this stupid alpha-numeric thing, but i guess not."

Now that is really ridiculous, even more ridiculous than BMW sueing over the M.

Speed_Racer

Hmph...Zephyr was one of the names I liked. I see current car names floating in my Alpha-Bits, which is rediculous. I like it when a car's name invokes a feeling or thought.  

TurboDan

Won't this just confuse buyers?  Cadillac is bad enough with the SRX and XLR being so similar.  

TBR

No more so than the similar alphanumeric names of other manufacturers do (i.e.: G35 and M35; GS350; IS350, and RX350; and 530i and 330i).

so cal cookie

QuoteWon't this just confuse buyers?  Cadillac is bad enough with the SRX and XLR being so similar.
You bet it will.
I'd hate to be a Lincoln salesmen next year.

sparkplug

Only time can tell if Lincoln succeeds.

I'd like to see Mercury and Lincoln do something different to the powertrain, brakes, and suspension to further differentiate themselves from Ford. People will pay more for a car if its truly worth it, offering the quality and performance increases that really make it worth the additional costs.

TBR

QuoteWon't this just confuse buyers?  Cadillac is bad enough with the SRX and XLR being so similar.
You bet it will.
I'd hate to be a Lincoln salesmen next year.
Why? No one is going to remember the Zephyr name except for us and it isn't exactly our kind of car.

so cal cookie

QuoteWhy? No one is going to remember the Zephyr name except for us and it isn't exactly our kind of car.
Because Lincoln spent millions getting the name "Zephyr" into consumer's heads, only to change it 6 months into the model run.
When a customer walks onto the lot and asks for the Zephyr, the salseman has to say "Lincoln doesn't make the Zephyr anymore, but I have this MKZ instead."  Some people honestly won't make the connection that it's the same car, and will think the salesman is trying to sell them an entirely different car. :ph34r:  

Submariner

QuoteLincoln is doomed :(
Beat me to it. :P   I'm starting to feel like Andrew Kear. :nono:
Troll.  :rolleyes:

;)  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

QuoteWhy? No one is going to remember the Zephyr name except for us and it isn't exactly our kind of car.
Because Lincoln spent millions getting the name "Zephyr" into consumer's heads, only to change it 6 months into the model run.
When a customer walks onto the lot and asks for the Zephyr, the salseman has to say "Lincoln doesn't make the Zephyr anymore, but I have this MKZ instead."  Some people honestly won't make the connection that it's the same car, and will think the salesman is trying to sell them an entirely different car. :ph34r:
I just don't see that happening. People won't remember the name because it is odd and hasn't gotten just a whole lot of exposure.

TurboDan

QuoteNo more so than the similar alphanumeric names of other manufacturers do (i.e.: G35 and M35; GS350; IS350, and RX350; and 530i and 330i).
Infiniti suffers from the same syndrome, to an extent.  But, alphanumeric names can be very easy in the case of the BMW numbers and MB letters.  When your entire model lineup sounds almost exactly the same, who's going to remember it?

giant_mtb

QuoteNo more so than the similar alphanumeric names of other manufacturers do (i.e.: G35 and M35; GS350; IS350, and RX350; and 530i and 330i).
Infiniti suffers from the same syndrome, to an extent.  But, alphanumeric names can be very easy in the case of the BMW numbers and MB letters.  When your entire model lineup sounds almost exactly the same, who's going to remember it?
I still get all the BMWs and MBs mixed up.  330i this, 335cjwuj27 that, S500 the other thing, S6032 that one thing...  :ph34r:  

ichi_ban1

Lincoln needs help. Period.

Wake up and Drive an EVO