The Automotive "How did I ever manage without this?" Thread

Started by Morris Minor, July 30, 2022, 02:09:54 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on August 03, 2022, 08:54:23 AM
I wish you guys could drive my old pickup. It has no power steering or brakes, no electronic gizmos at all. One speed wipers. No clutch safety switch. No accessory position on the ignition switch. A granny 4 speed- you start in 2nd. You have to set the choke or it may stall cold, then remember to open it after a while. Manual windows. Power wasn't even available in 1965.
I love driving it!
Sounds like a lot of vehicles I've driven over the years.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 03, 2022, 09:49:50 AM
Sounds like a lot of vehicles I've driven over the years.

And at the time, it was considered a tech advancement over the old stovebolts of the 50s.
It features independent front suspension, a 37 amp alternator and a more powerful new design inline 6.

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on August 03, 2022, 09:07:25 AM
...sounds a lot like my wife's mostly broken dodge neon when I met her
The 60s were definitely the golden era of everything automotive, design, power, simplicity...okay, they didn't handle all that well compared to now, bias plied tires, leaf suspension, etc.,  but they were a hell of lot more fun to drive, you just had to know the limits.  As well, they were not overly heavy, my '66 Mustang weighed about 2,600 lbs.  Made a big difference in handling compared to the overweight cars of today.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 02, 2022, 07:18:56 PM
Yep Bluetooth is mostly what I want. My Miata doesn't have CarPlay but I can upgrade to it, but I feel like Bluetooth is enough.

I've never been worried about speeding tickets out west. Limits are usually high enough and cops don't care unless you're more than 10 over, so I stick with 10 over. That means I can go 90 mph without worry in southern Utah, no Waze necessary

Yeah, bit different here in Ohio :lol:

I use Waze no matter where I'm going.  It's just habit now.

CarPlay is nice though. I'm surprised you haven't upgraded.  Isn't it just a USB port swap and a software update?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 04, 2022, 06:51:25 AM
Yeah, bit different here in Ohio :lol:

I use Waze no matter where I'm going.  It's just habit now.

CarPlay is nice though. I'm surprised you haven't upgraded.  Isn't it just a USB port swap and a software update?

I'm just scared to take any dash pieces off and end up with rattles.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

I used that Mazda aftermarket m0d to give my head unit Android Auto.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 06:20:43 PM
I used that Mazda aftermarket m0d to give my head unit Android Auto.

Which mod? did you still have to disassemble the dash?

This is the method I'm aware of:
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=679114
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV