The Automotive "How did I ever manage without this?" Thread

Started by Morris Minor, July 30, 2022, 02:09:54 PM

Morris Minor

What previously-dismissed automotive luxuries do you now cherish?

The CX-5 has vented seats. Not cooled, just vented, but they're still wonderful in this hot muggy climate. I got in the car the other day after getting wet in a rainstorm: between the A/C & the seats I was dry all over in no time.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

Autotragic transmissions.
Air conditioning.
Power steering.
Cruise control.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

veeman

Navigation.  To think my parents used paper maps when figuring out how to get from A to B.  Until 2005 I would use Mapquest at home and print out the directions when going to an unfamiliar place. 

Hand's free cell phone calling using Bluetooth. 

Cell phone holders that attach onto the HVAC vents

FoMoJo

I too am fully appreciative of navigation, I'd be lost without it now.

As well, I really appreciate the little yellow light that flashes up on my mirrors when another vehicle is approaching my blind spot.  However, I think I'm starting to rely on it too much and find that I'm not even turning my head to have a visual glance before changing lanes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

A/C has to be the biggest one, even if just for dealing with fogged-up windows.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

Amen to cooled seats. Backup camera makes parallel parking so much easier. Adaptive cruise: i wish I had it, since people can't keep a constant speed on the freeway.

And in general - my pickup. It's so handy, i wish I had bought one sooner.

Rich

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 01, 2022, 10:09:52 AM
Adaptive cruise: i wish I had it, since people can't keep a constant speed on the freeway.

I found your people

Quote from: veeman on July 30, 2022, 11:11:06 PM
I rarely use cruise control.  Never experienced my right foot getting tired plus I'm constantly adjusting speed based on other vehicles near me especially semi trucks,  road conditions, and topography.  I hate being near semi trucks.

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 30, 2022, 07:30:59 PM
I'm the same, I'd rather just use my foot.  Really don't know what to do with it if it's not on the gas pedal.

Quote from: dazzleman on July 30, 2022, 10:30:46 AM
Hah, I am one of those weirdos!  I haven't used cruise control in years.  The traffic around me is too heavy to be able to maintain a steady speed unless it's a slow speed, and I don't do slow.  :evildude:

I don't have the words to convey the levels of agony, anger, and frustration and all that people that don't use cruise control provide for my brain.   Passing someone 15 times over the course of a fuel run drives me batty.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

I would probably love a pickup, but in Maverick dimensions. I wish Honda could release their own take of the B2000.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2022, 10:32:27 AM
I would probably love a pickup, but in Maverick dimensions. I wish Honda could release their own take of the B2000.

I'd like a Mazda pickup. I want a Maverick but I like Mazda a lot more than Ford. CX-5 with a pickup bed please.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 01, 2022, 10:09:52 AM
Amen to cooled seats. Backup camera makes parallel parking so much easier. Adaptive cruise: i wish I had it, since people can't keep a constant speed on the freeway.

And in general - my pickup. It's so handy, i wish I had bought one sooner.

Backup cameras are definitely a cheat code for parallel parking. I nailed my first attempt at parallel parking in England, with me on the wrong side of the car and everything.

r0tor

The only thing I don't find useful at all on the tech laden Alfa is the lane control assist.  I don't have the active system that actually steers the car (which universally sort of sucks anyway), rather just an alarm when you leave the lane.  In cases where I can't see the road well - it can't either.  I generally just leave it off.

Autonomous braking is a love/hate thing.  95% of the time it's a false alert, but that 5% of the time it works makes the difference.

Radar cruise control is another love/hate for me.  It feels odd running into an invisible wall at times but helpful on long drives.  The sensing range is lacking as well, so a human might slow down well I'm advance of what it does.  I liked it for stop/go traffic until I had some prick dive bomb the space on front of me to the point he only got a fender in and it wasn't very apparent to me the system unlocked from the car in front to the prick and would have stopped in time.

Front parking sensors can be nice, but they don't always seem to see a curb.  Camera is probably a better solution.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Oh, I'll add headlights that follow the steering wheel are absolutely amazing on twisty roads.  The Alfa also has some side firing leds for when you make a turn at an intersection that is also immensely helpful.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CALL_911

Keyless start for sure. I thought it was an inane feature when it first came out, now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I won't say Bluetooth or CarPlay integration, because I never dismissed those. Same with heated seats and backup cameras.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 01, 2022, 01:48:16 PM
Keyless start for sure. I thought it was an inane feature when it first came out, now I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I enjoy my push button start in the Miata since I put an exhaust and tune on it. Feels like a racecar or rocket ship launch when I push the button.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 01, 2022, 01:48:16 PM

I won't say Bluetooth or CarPlay integration, because I never dismissed those. Same with heated seats and backup cameras.

I wish keyless start wasn't a pushbutton, but rather a selector switch that mimics the old style of control. I just want to be able to toggle between acc. and engine on without having to go through the whole startup procedure.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

What I don't like about pushbutton start is that you don't have any control over whether or not the engine cranks over.  Or the duration. 

I mean, most vehicles have essentially been that way for a number of years, even if they do still use a turnkey, they just hadn't migrated the function to a button on everything yet.

But...say it's super cold out and your battery's weak. If that voltage is too low, your vehicle won't even attempt to start, even if there's a chance that it just needs a few weak cranks to fire up.

CALL_911

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 02, 2022, 08:51:12 AM
I wish keyless start wasn't a pushbutton, but rather a selector switch that mimics the old style of control. I just want to be able to toggle between acc. and engine on without having to go through the whole startup procedure.

I don't follow- in my car, acc. is hitting the start/stop button without the clutch depressed, or the brake in AT cars.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SJ_GTI

Its funny, since I got the Z3 I have only realized how much I don't miss a lot of the recent advancements (like keyless entry, phone integration, cameras, etc...). It can be nice to have those things occasionally, but I don't miss them when they aren't there.

CALL_911

Bluetooth is the only thing I miss when driving the S2000. That and a half decent stereo, but I don't care too much about the latter.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 02, 2022, 02:41:11 PM
I don't follow- in my car, acc. is hitting the start/stop button without the clutch depressed, or the brake in AT cars.

Let's say I'm waiting for somebody. I want to turn the engine off, but keep the radio on- I need to hit the button to turn everything off, then hit the button with the brakes off to turn the radio back on- nav screen has to go through its whole boot up and reconnect sequence. With a selector, I could just go to acc without shuttong all that down and rebooting.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 02, 2022, 03:00:14 PM
Bluetooth is the only thing I miss when driving the S2000. That and a half decent stereo, but I don't care too much about the latter.

I put a bluetooth receiver in the wagon, and its honestly 95% of what I use in the modern cars.

edit; in some ways its even better, because it doesn't lock out any functions while driving.

MrH

CarPlay + Waze is a game changer when it comes to speeding :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 02, 2022, 03:29:14 PM
I put a bluetooth receiver in the wagon, and its honestly 95% of what I use in the modern cars.

edit; in some ways its even better, because it doesn't lock out any functions while driving.

Yep Bluetooth is mostly what I want. My Miata doesn't have CarPlay but I can upgrade to it, but I feel like Bluetooth is enough.

Quote from: MrH on August 02, 2022, 06:08:51 PM
CarPlay + Waze is a game changer when it comes to speeding :lol:

I've never been worried about speeding tickets out west. Limits are usually high enough and cops don't care unless you're more than 10 over, so I stick with 10 over. That means I can go 90 mph without worry in southern Utah, no Waze necessary

veeman

Waze is a godsend for me.  It tells me where all the speed cameras are, is really good at picking out where police are on major roads, and reroutes me when there is a traffic jam.  On the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut highways, I'm often going 25 mph or more over the speed limit. 

shp4man

I wish you guys could drive my old pickup. It has no power steering or brakes, no electronic gizmos at all. One speed wipers. No clutch safety switch. No accessory position on the ignition switch. A granny 4 speed- you start in 2nd. You have to set the choke or it may stall cold, then remember to open it after a while. Manual windows. Power wasn't even available in 1965.
I love driving it!

r0tor

...sounds a lot like my wife's mostly broken dodge neon when I met her