This 1-Of-3 Porsche 959 S Prototype Is Looking For Its Next Caretaker

Started by cawimmer430, August 18, 2022, 10:41:41 AM

cawimmer430

This 1-Of-3 Porsche 959 S Prototype Is Looking For Its Next Caretaker

There's no question that the Porsche 959 changed the automotive world. When it arrived on the scene, the 959 was the world's fastest street-legal production car and featured futuristic technology like an adjustable suspension and AWD. A lighter and faster S version did away with some of the technological marvels in favor of less weight. Now, one of just three 959 S prototypes is up for sale and its story is truly remarkable.

The S version did more than just shed a few pounds though. It traded that fancy suspension for a conventional coil and spring setup and got a power boost up to produce a total of 508 hp (379 kW). Before the production version of the 959 arrived on the scene, Porsche built two pre-production series of cars.

This particular example is from the first of those two, called the F-series, wherein just 12 total cars were selected for transformation into 959 prototypes. Of those 12, just 10 actually ran and drove. Of those 10, this is one of three built into the lightweight 959 S prototype specification. It has special prototype-only features that no other 959 does.

Amazingly, despite the fact that Porsche usually destroys prototypes like these, this example made it out of the factory thanks to Vasek Polak, a US-based Porsche concessionaire. When Polak acquired this 959 S prototype, Porsche required that he never drive it and in fact, sold it to him without keys. After Polak's passing in 1997, a new owner was able to acquire those keys.

Since then, the car has been recommissioned. The engine, the master cylinder, the brakes, clutch, door locks, and fuel system have all been restored and rebuilt as needed. In 2020, an Austrian collector acquired the car and loved it so much that he commissioned a large hardback book specifically about the car. That book will be included with the car itself once it moves on to whoever buys it next.

Girardo & Co. where the car is up for sale will only release its price on application but we feel confident that it'll be at least seven figures. Only 29 959 S' were ever built and those easily clear $1 million on the open market. We can only imagine what a running and driving prototype will go for.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/this-1-of-3-porsche-959-s-prototype-is-looking-for-its-next-caretaker/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on August 18, 2022, 11:10:06 PM
So is it street legal? 

My understanding of US car laws is that any vehicle older than 25 years which can now be legally imported is automatically "street legal", right? Or at least it qualifies for the "Show and Display" laws?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 19, 2022, 01:09:52 AM
My understanding of US car laws is that any vehicle older than 25 years which can now be legally imported is automatically "street legal", right? Or at least it qualifies for the "Show and Display" laws?

I think you are mostly right. You are right about import laws, but registration for street use is a state by state issue. So there are likely some states it can be registered for street use but I suspect you are right that in the stricter states you would still be able to register/insure it as a show car, which would just put limits on its annual mileage. For a car like this, I don't think anyone would want it as a daily driver.  :lol:

CaminoRacer

Bill Gates used the Show and Display law.

"The passing of the "Show and Display" law allowed Gates to get his hands on his 959 and experience true Porsche power. He can even be seen today driving his car around occasionally, making sure he does not reach the annual mileage limitation of 2,500 on-road miles that came with the passing of the "Show and Display" law."
https://blog.dupontregistry.com/porsche/bill-gates-americas-richest-porsche-959/
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

I used to have this Matchbox car:

That was my first 959.

(btw, matchbox > hot wheels)

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 19, 2022, 10:17:08 AM
I think you are mostly right. You are right about import laws, but registration for street use is a state by state issue. So there are likely some states it can be registered for street use but I suspect you are right that in the stricter states you would still be able to register/insure it as a show car, which would just put limits on its annual mileage.

:cheers: :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2022, 09:33:53 AM
I used to have this Matchbox car:

That was my first 959.

(btw, matchbox > hot wheels)

I'm ratting you out to the FBI! You illegally owned a 959 even in toy form in the USA! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 22, 2022, 03:49:58 AM

I'm ratting you out to the FBI! You illegally owned a 959 even in toy form in the USA! :lol:

I owned that back in the 80s. I think the statute of limitations has passed. :lol:

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Will