Fun Police Strike Again As Authorities Seize Porsche Panamera For Being Too Loud

Started by cawimmer430, August 24, 2022, 04:32:50 AM

cawimmer430

Germany...  :facepalm:

Fun Police Strike Again As Authorities Seize Porsche Panamera For Being Too Loud

The Dodge Charger Daytona SRT concept has a Fratzonic chambered exhaust that screams at up to 126 decibels, but that would likely have German police crying foul as they recently seized this Porsche Panamera for reaching a more modest 104 decibels.

In a Facebook post and press release, the Polizei NRW Gelsenkirchen said they noticed the vehicle on August 16th because of "loud noises coming from the car." This led to an inspection, which reportedly found tinted taillights as well as an apparently modified exhaust that exceeded the "permitted and registered 72 decibels."

The latter appears to have been the primary problem and police noted an increase of 10 decibels corresponds to a perceived doubling of volume. They went on to warn drivers that making modifications to their vehicles "risks a fine" as well as "high towing and expert costs."

In this case, the car was seized from the 23-year-old driver and its owner was notified about the issue. While the driver apparently paid the fine on the spot, the vehicle was "secured and is now being examined by a sworn expert."

Unsurprisingly, the seizure was met with mixed reactions as some people praised authorities and noted loud vehicles are troublesome at night when people are trying to sleep. Others called the incident ridiculous and a waste of time as there are bigger problems to deal with.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/fun-police-strike-again-as-authorities-seize-porsche-panamera-for-being-loud/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

So it was 104 db? That is obnoxiously loud. Our autocross limit is like 95 db and cars that are over the limit are sometimes painfully loud for your ears when they drive by

74 db is super quiet for a sporty car though.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

If it were me, any car sounding louder than OEM would be impounded. No reason for it- there are plenty of high flow options which aren't obnoxious.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 24, 2022, 09:18:47 AM
So it was 104 db? That is obnoxiously loud. Our autocross limit is like 95 db and cars that are over the limit are sometimes painfully loud for your ears when they drive by

74 db is super quiet for a sporty car though.

Also depends on how (or more importantly, where) it's measured. If I put an SPL meter three feet away from an exhaust and it measures 100dB, at six feet away it will measure 94dB, at 12' it will measure 88dB, etc. (in perfect conditions). "Double the distance, half the sound," as far as the logogorythmic SPL scale is concerned, where plus/minus 6dB can be found at half/double the distance.

Generally, plus/minus 10dB is where people notice a doubling/halving of perceived loudness, since we aren't microphones measuring SPL, we perceive sounds differently depending on frequency, etc.

That's why I always have to ask how/where things like exhaust get measured, because mic placement makes a yuuuuuge difference. For instance, Michigan snowmobile exhaust law is, no louder than 88dB at 13'. If that DNR officer is only 11' away, you might get a ticket.

CaminoRacer

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if those cops measured it 2 feet away from the tailpipe
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

I want more fun police where I live. When the weather gets warm the Harleys come out, and it's like machine gun fire until closing time at the bars.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on August 26, 2022, 12:45:54 AM
I want more fun police where I live. When the weather gets warm the Harleys come out, and it's like machine gun fire until closing time at the bars.

In Germany they want to ban motorcycle driving on the weekends citing "noise" and "pollution" for the why reasons.

Who else is pushing for this? Surprise! The absolutely worthless retarded Green Party. Fuck them so hard. I hate them.

If this idiotic law gets passed then what's next? This could extend to banning classic cars from driving on the weekend because of "noise" and "pollution". I mean most classic car and motorcycle owners that I know work hard during the week to keep this woke joke of a country afloat and on the weekend they wanna relax a bit by enjoying their classic car or motorcycle - and then the shit parasite politicians in this country want to tell them, "No, you can't! Deal with it."

The problem with motorcycles here is that they have to conform to EU noise pollution levels - then they can ride. But some motorcycle owners tune their bikes illegally and make them louder. And these guys tend to intentionally make noise loud when driving through towns. It basically only takes a few to ruin it for everyone...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie