Australian State Wants Supercar Owners 2 Get A Special License & Unique Training

Started by cawimmer430, August 24, 2022, 04:35:02 AM

cawimmer430

Australian State Wants Supercar Owners To Get A Special License And Unique Training

The Premier of South Australia, Peter Malinauskas, has revealed the government will draft new legislation aimed at supercar owners.

In a press release, the Premier's office said the proposed legislation would establish a "new licensing scheme for motorists who want to drive elite high-powered super sports cars." In order to obtain a license to drive one, owners would be "required to comply with specific training and other requirements, similar to motorcycle and truck licenses."

Furthermore, the legislation is slated to call for banning defeatable traction control systems in high-powered vehicles. It also aims at "strengthening laws, which ban drivers accused of killing a person from holding a license until their case is resolved."

The Premier's office went on to say the South Australia Police and the Attorney General's office will work together on exploring "proposed changes to the Criminal Law Consolidation Act relating to a death occurring because of unacceptable driver behavior."

The move comes after the death of Sophia Naismith, which ABC says was killed after being struck by a Lamborghini outside a Chinese restaurant in 2019. The driver of the car, Alexander Campbell, pled guilty to driving without due care but was recently acquitted of death by dangerous driving.

Following her death, Naismith's parents became activists pushing for driving reforms and Malinauskas said, "I want to thank Pia and Luke for their advocacy, and I hope these reforms will prevent such a tragedy from happening to another family." He added, "I have directed relevant government agencies to immediately commence drafting legislation and I hope that the Parliament will support these important reforms."

The legislation is slated to be introduced to Parliament by the end of the year and Malinauskas is already expecting a "degree of resistance" from supercar owners. That being said, there appears to be bipartisan support for some reforms, so change could be coming.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/08/premier-of-south-australia-wants-super-car-owners-to-get-a-special-license-and-unique-training/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

There should be a law that supercar owners actually need to know how to drive instead of just being rich... Maybe they would actually get driven
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

RomanChariot

I don't have an issue with requiring people to have specific training for certain types of vehicles but using phrases like "elite high-powered super sports cars" shows their prejudice and ignorance. They are first going to have to define exactly what type of vehicle will require extra training for the driver. It should probably be based on something like power to weight ratio. Vehicle value or aesthetic design should have nothing to do with it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 24, 2022, 09:48:33 AM
I don't have an issue with requiring people to have specific training for certain types of vehicles but using phrases like "elite high-powered super sports cars" shows their prejudice and ignorance. They are first going to have to define exactly what type of vehicle will require extra training for the driver. It should probably be based on something like power to weight ratio. Vehicle value or aesthetic design should have nothing to do with it.

It'll be exactly like tax raises; they'll say they're only taxing the rich, but then write a law that hits everybody even moderately above average.

So they'll say its about elite supercars, then write a law that hits everybody over 250 hp.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

So since most Teslas can beat the pants off of "normal" cars in acceleration and the fastest Tesla Model S can easily run with the most expensive exotic supercars, should they be subject to these same potential future requirements?  Wouldn't make any sense not to. 

RomanChariot

Maybe they can require all cars that fit into this hypothetical category to have technology that verifies who the driver is and whether the driver has the proper training. Or they can just make it a crime for the owner of the vehicle to let any untrained individuals drive the car. Yeah, this could get really involved.

FoMoJo

There have been a raft of accidents in Brampton/Mississauga whereby (mostly) young people have been killed in accidents.  The couple involving rich kids driving "elite high-powered super sports cars" were particularly tragic.  The most tragic one was a kid who crashed into a family vehicle and killed a mother and her three daughters...Driver sentenced to 17 years for crash that killed Brampton mom and 3 kids.  The father, whose entire family was wiped out, recently killed himself.

Additional training isn't going to help these idiots.  It's far better just to keep them off the road.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 24, 2022, 09:48:33 AM

+1

Will

AutobahnSHO

Countries that take driving seriously (like Germany) have far fewer problems than those that don't.

The driving I see on a daily basis around here "should" be shocking. But it's not.
Will

veeman

I don't want any more "big brother" watching over me than he already is.   

Half the point of owning a supercar is letting your family and friends be able to take it for a ride.  It would be lame if you couldn't do that.  I don't know the numbers here but my guess would also be a very large percentage of supercars are bought by the pampered young sons of multimillionaires/billionaires. 

There are so many causes of traffic fatalities.  The percentage of deaths from supercars of the overall number is a trifle.

This is over legislation IMHO.  While we're at it, why don't we legislate that senior citizens have to take annual drivers license tests.  I'm sure that would go over real well in Australia. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on August 24, 2022, 12:55:50 PM
I don't want any more "big brother" watching over me than he already is.   

Half the point of owning a supercar is letting your family and friends be able to take it for a ride.  It would be lame if you couldn't do that.  I don't know the numbers here but my guess would also be a very large percentage of supercars are bought by the pampered young sons of multimillionaires/billionaires. 

There are so many causes of traffic fatalities.  The percentage of deaths from supercars of the overall number is a trifle.

This is over legislation IMHO.  While we're at it, why don't we legislate that senior citizens have to take annual drivers license tests.  I'm sure that would go over real well in Australia. 

Here's the thing;

In the accident this article cites; that was recklessness. It wasn't because it was an unskilled driver. it wasn't because it was an unsafe car.

It was because the driver was willfully disregarding both the law and the safety of people around him.

Extra licensing won't do anything except put a few more dollars in the state coffers.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

It's like the assault weapons ban for cars.  How do you define what a supercar is? 

I bet supercar related deaths are super low anyway due to the rarity of supercars and the minimal miles they are driven.  It's purely please the masses regulation as it only affects the rich.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 565 on August 24, 2022, 01:24:57 PM
It's like the assault weapons ban for cars.  How do you define what a supercar is? 

I bet supercar related deaths are super low anyway due to the rarity of supercars and the minimal miles they are driven.  It's purely please the masses regulation as it only affects the rich.

And it won't affect the rich in any meaningful way.

However, I'm willing to bet any legislation is going to have a much broader reach than just "the rich."

Eye of the Tiger

So if you pass the training course and are legally allowed to operate a super car, I assume that means you can drive as fast as you want. There is no point in special super car training if you have to go the speed limit.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2022, 02:12:30 PM
So if you pass the training course and are legally allowed to operate a super car, I assume that means you can drive as fast as you want. There is no point in special super car training if you have to go the speed limit.
:cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2022, 02:12:30 PM

That- that actually makes sense. It could be like a modifier; you know- the License of Agility grants +20MPH on any limited access highway, if pulled over, roll 5d20 to determine fines.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 24, 2022, 02:20:40 PM
That- that actually makes sense. It could be like a modifier; you know- the License of Agility grants +20MPH on any limited access highway, if pulled over, roll 5d20 to determine fines.

That could work great. Farm some XP for a couple of accident-free years, level up again.

Morris Minor

How many deaths / 100k miles are caused by supercars vs non-supercars?
This is the "Something must be done!" disease suffered by politicians.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 24, 2022, 03:18:56 PM

I vote for bringing back the 85 MPH speedometer! 55 is highlighted, of course.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 24, 2022, 03:18:56 PM

Good point. Supercar accidents are usually bad for the owner's wallet / insurance, not usually deadly to innocent bystanders.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV