Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

giant_mtb

Also, my shop is close to a busy intersection...I have seen first-hand multiple times that older/elderly people really should not be on electric bikes. It's terrifying watching them try to balance and figure out how a "throttle" works, they can't even handle it.

Laconian

Ebikes with throttles :rage:

The US does a poor job of regulating ebikes IMO. It's the wild west here. You can get kilowatt motor bikes that go 60mph here. Stupid.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on December 10, 2022, 10:24:00 PM
Ebikes with throttles :rage:

The US does a poor job of regulating ebikes IMO. It's the wild west here. You can get kilowatt motor bikes that go 60mph here. Stupid.

They should be regulated just like mopeds. A moped under 50cc is not (factory) capable of speeds greater than 30-35mph and just requires a drivers license and a cheap registration sticker. Anything over 50cc that can do real speed requires a plate and insurance.

AutobahnSHO

The best e-bikes are the ones where you MUST pedal and are assist cuts out at certain speed, AND the bike shop makes sure they say they'll wear a helmet and follow traffic laws like cars...
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 11, 2022, 02:17:32 PM
The best e-bikes are the ones where you MUST pedal and are assist cuts out at certain speed, AND the bike shop makes sure they say they'll wear a helmet and follow traffic laws like cars...

All ebikes in Europe are like that. Some of them support "surge" power for hills but they will back off after a while and stay below 15mph.

The wobbly boomers on ebikes are bad enough, but I'm seeing zoomers on massive ebikes, using their phones and even looking at the fucking gravel path, zipping by at 25mph.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 11, 2022, 03:11:17 PM
All ebikes in Europe are like that. Some of them support "surge" power for hills but they will back off after a while and stay below 15mph.

The wobbly boomers on ebikes are bad enough, but I'm seeing zoomers on massive ebikes, using their phones and even looking at the fucking gravel path, zipping by at 25mph.

I think it was Simon Cowell who took a nasty fall on an electric scooter- bikes are more stable but still produce plenty of broken collarbones and wrists, in addition to road rash, concussions, and even fatalities- even without the added electric boost...
Will

Laconian

Sedentary lifestyles are risky too...

veeman

Where I commute to work in NYC, the ebikers ignore traffic lights and often don't have headlights or don't use them.  Never seen any of them get cited by traffic cops either.  Probably not worth their time or aggravation in NYC. 

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on December 12, 2022, 06:42:29 AM
Where I commute to work in NYC, the ebikers ignore traffic lights and often don't have headlights or don't use them.  Never seen any of them get cited by traffic cops either.  Probably not worth their time or aggravation in NYC. 
Rules of the road are only for smelly ordinary people.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on December 09, 2022, 03:24:17 PM
At 4mi/kwh that's about 25kWh of battery, which is ~13 more than the upcoming Prius PHEV. 13kWh at $138 per kWh is +$1800. Definitely not a deal breaker in terms of price, but packaging is probably the bigger challenge. At 400Wh/L you have to contend with finding room for those 32.5L of extra batteries.

And it doesn't scale linearly either, sadly.  As you add more batteries for more range, you can considerable more weight.  It's a diminishing return.  Keep packing that Prius with more plug-in range, and next thing you know, you've got the Hummer EV :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

EV6 delivery is on the 26th, but I'm having the dealer get the car front vinyl wrapped first. So maybe 27th or 28th.

We're very excited! For me, the EV6 and Ioniq5 have been the most compelling cars of the past 5-10 years. Hard to believe I might DD one. :mask:

FoMoJo

Nice Christmas present.  Congratulations.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Will

Rich

but does it have color  :hmm:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Morris Minor

Pics when it arrives pls. Are you all set with the garage electrics?

MrH

Holy shit, I didn't realize the GT model (the 546 hp one) is only $61,600??? :confused:  I figured it was going to be $70k.  Shame I don't fit in them.

Maybe there will be an Ioniq 5 N?  Big fender flares and fat tires to look like a retro-future rally car :rockon:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Yeah it's a 3k premium over the GT line.

You give up a lot of range and some creature comforts, like power seats.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on January 07, 2023, 12:30:43 PM
Yeah it's a 3k premium over the GT line.

You give up a lot of range and some creature comforts, like power seats.

46 miles of range for an extra 200 hp?  Worth it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on January 07, 2023, 12:35:38 PM
46 miles of range for an extra 200 hp?  Worth it.

Considering that some of that battery capacity is basically off limits for longevity reasons, it puts the useful range of the car below the buy threshold.

Laconian

Delivery keeps getting delayed and the Outback's registration has lapsed. The Miata is now the winter DD until the EV6 arrives. :mask:

Cross your fingers for an arrival on the 20th!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 13, 2023, 08:08:14 PM
Delivery keeps getting delayed and the Outback's registration has lapsed. The Miata is now the winter DD until the EV6 arrives. :mask:

Cross your fingers for an arrival on the 20th!

LOL good luck
Will

Laconian

The EV6 finally arrived at the dealer. So total delay was about a month. PPF is getting applied on Monday, and then I should be driving it home by Tuesday!

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 27, 2023, 03:17:54 PM
Here it is!
:ohyeah:

(I have an OCD-type maintenance log of the cars I've owned. 12.4 years since the G was delivered to 1st owner. Wallet pressure building.)

GoCougs

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

As for the Miata: I think I'll keep it for now on. It seems like a worthy complement to a fun-but-porky EV small SUV.