Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 27, 2023, 03:44:43 PM
As for the Miata: I think I'll keep it for now on. It seems like a worthy complement to a fun-but-porky EV small SUV.

I have to agree with that :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

I hadn't seen those before but that's gorgeous!
Will

afty

Looks great! Love the blue!

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 27, 2023, 04:43:15 PM
Swoopy.

But nice.

I think it looks like a bit like a Lancia Stratos, especially with the chunky D pillar and how the rake of the windshield meets the short hood.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on January 27, 2023, 03:44:43 PM
As for the Miata: I think I'll keep it for now on. It seems like a worthy complement to a fun-but-porky EV small SUV.

Plus when there's a moratorium on EV charging next summer because of electric grid instability during a month long heat wave, you will have something to drive  :thumbsup:

Nice car man.  Congratulations!

Laconian

Thinking about getting one of these for road trips. Could be very useful for AirBNB rentals. It offers L2 and L1 charging in a compact package that can be stashed under the loading floor.
https://ev-lectron.com/collections/ev-chargers/products/lectron-level-1-level-2-portable-j1772-ev-charger-16-amp-32-amp-with-dual-charging-plugs-nema-5-15-14-50-compatible-with-all-j1772-evs-white

A 12-hr overnight stay with an L1 plug at an AirBNB is +72 miles of range. If I could unplug a dryer to get at a 240V outlet then it would be back to full within 9 hours at worst.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

I saw one home charger workaround which had two standard-issue 120V NEMA 5-15 plugs on its split-Y cable. All you had to do was plug them into two regular outlets, each on a different phase leg. Hey presto 240V.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 28, 2023, 02:48:20 PM
I saw one home charger workaround which had two standard-issue 120V NEMA 5-15 plugs on its split-Y cable. All you had to do was plug them into two regular outlets, each on a different phase leg. Hey presto 240V.

That would be pretty effective, if you know they're on different breakers.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 28, 2023, 01:17:50 PM
Thinking about getting one of these for road trips. Could be very useful for AirBNB rentals. It offers L2 and L1 charging in a compact package that can be stashed under the loading floor.
https://ev-lectron.com/collections/ev-chargers/products/lectron-level-1-level-2-portable-j1772-ev-charger-16-amp-32-amp-with-dual-charging-plugs-nema-5-15-14-50-compatible-with-all-j1772-evs-white

A 12-hr overnight stay with an L1 plug at an AirBNB is +72 miles of range. If I could unplug a dryer to get at a 240V outlet then it would be back to full within 9 hours at worst.

I think new Bolts come with something similar. Mine only came with a L1 portable charger, L1+L2 is much nicer. Although I wouldn't have my hopes up for finding the correct NEMA 240V outlet on a roadtrip.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 28, 2023, 02:48:20 PM

From
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/266647/taking-two-120-volt-outlets-and-combining-into-240-volts

This "solution" is so wrong on so many levels it is hard to know where to start. The solution shown is practically DESIGNED to both electrocute you AND burn down your house. Absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED in any way, shape or form.

Morris Minor

This wasn't the gadget I'd originally seen reviewed but this is the same idea. There's no way the outlets in my garage are on different legs in the panel so the use case for this seems minimal. Way too much work.

https://youtu.be/BEyOZ842Tzs

mzziaz

Sweet!

This, or the 3/Y would be my choice
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

Quote from: mzziaz on January 29, 2023, 08:01:22 AM
Sweet!

This, or the 3/Y would be my choice

Both the 3 and the Y are way, way, WAY too common here. I've spotted five white Model Ys driving in a line on the freeway.

Morris Minor

Model Ts of EVs. Maybe they'll expand the palette some day (up their lame paint game first).

afty

Quote from: Laconian on January 29, 2023, 06:38:29 PM
Both the 3 and the Y are way, way, WAY too common here. I've spotted five white Model Ys driving in a line on the freeway.
The 3/Y has become the Bay Area Camry.  There are at least 4 on my block. 

Rich

Too bad Nissan didn't capitalize. Coulda been a Bay Leaf club
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

I'm feeling vicarious excitement for Kevin's big day tomorrow.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 30, 2023, 07:09:01 AM
Model Ts of EVs. Maybe they'll expand the palette some day (up their lame paint game first).

I blame Tesla's pricing structure more than the cars themselves. They charge extra for interesting colors. White Model 3/Y's are the door buster special.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2023, 11:55:37 AM
I blame Tesla's pricing structure more than the cars themselves. They charge extra for interesting colors. White Model 3/Y's are the door buster special.

And ordering online instead of picking a car from the lot. A lot of OEMs charge extra for cooler colors, but it's not as noticeable when you just wander around the lot vs. clearly see a price difference on the online configurator.

r0tor

Less heat build up in the summer means less cooling load and more miles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on January 30, 2023, 12:05:04 PM
Less heat build up in the summer means less cooling load and more miles

Not a valid point in my climate. :lol:

CaminoRacer

I have learned that the ND Miata's white paint weighs less than the other colors. It's the one to get if you really want the lightest car possible

Laconian

That must surely be the reason for so many white Teslas, then :hmm: :lol:

Quote from: afty on January 30, 2023, 09:51:27 AM
The 3/Y has become the Bay Area Camry.  There are at least 4 on my block. 

Absolutely! I said before that they were the new BMW, because it feels like the asshole antics are all done by Teslas. But now I think they're the new Camry because the cars doing the most absentminded, doddering antics are all Teslas now. Riding the brakes at 5 under the limit. Slowing or stopping on a busy street for no reason. Slowing to 30mph to negotiate a moderate freeway offramp curve. Signaling two miles in advance. Poking into a DO NOT ENTER street before - yep - stopping in the middle of the street. All the tech noob driver shit that used to be the exclusive domain of Camrys.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2023, 01:15:54 PM

Absolutely! I said before that they were the new BMW, because it feels like the asshole antics are all done by Teslas. But now I think they're the new Camry because the cars doing the most absentminded, doddering antics are all Teslas now. Riding the brakes at 5 under the limit. Slowing or stopping on a busy street for no reason. Slowing to 30mph to negotiate a moderate freeway offramp curve. Signaling two miles in advance. Poking into a DO NOT ENTER street before - yep - stopping in the middle of the street. All the tech noob driver shit that used to be the exclusive domain of Camrys.

How much of that is caused by the drivers and how much is caused by the "full self-driving" fucking up and putting noob drivers into a situation they have no idea how to handle... :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 30, 2023, 01:02:00 PM
I have learned that the ND Miata's white paint weighs less than the other colors. It's the one to get if you really want the lightest car possible

Depends on the source of the pigment for the color.  On a car...I have to imagine the difference is negligible, but gram counters be gram counting.

Edit:  I also suppose metallic vs. non-metallic would make a difference, as well. 

Eye of the Tiger

I don't know what cars things are anymore. What is an EV6, and why would it get got?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 30, 2023, 01:15:54 PM

You're exactly describing the legions of Lexus RX drivers around here. Drives me fucking nuts.
They could never cope with a Tesla - all that spastic exaggerated screen swiping.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 30, 2023, 02:25:24 PM
I don't know what cars things are anymore. What is an EV6, and why would it get got?

EV6 is vroomy thing that no make vroomy noise. It gotted got because wageslave trade life for paper and then paper for EV6