Sitting in Mach E, the second one I've repaired.

Started by shp4man, October 21, 2022, 09:52:18 AM

shp4man

The issue was the charging indicator near the charging port was orange. It wouldn't charge.
The fix? Updating the software in six different control modules.
It had to sit overnight to clear the fault codes.
Driving it around, my impression is that it's a "dead" car. The electric motor and drivetrain aren't completely silent, it just seems flat and lifeless...not performance wise, just personality wise.
I guess I could get used to it. Eventually.

Morris Minor

Why on earth six control modules instead of one?

Couldn't this have been done via WiFi over the air by the owner?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2022, 10:27:28 AM

OBD-II is an outdated, but government mandated interface. There are several different protocols that can be used, but it is limited by the 16-pin port. As the electronics in vehicles increase in quantity and sophistication, the OBD-II bottleneck gets worse.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2022, 10:27:28 AM

There are about 45 different control modules in this vehicle. It's something to do with less wiring and serviceability.
Some updates can be done on WiFi, but not all. Security reasons.

Laconian

I think the detached nature of the steering and handling were some of the biggest knocks against the Mustang nomenclature.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: shp4man on October 21, 2022, 11:10:16 AM
There are about 45 different control modules in this vehicle. It's something to do with less wiring and serviceability.
Some updates can be done on WiFi, but not all. Security reasons.
that's like have one computer for printing, one for email, one for spreadsheets, one for web browsing. Bit complicated & ex$pen$ive.

shp4man

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2022, 01:11:44 PM
that's like have one computer for printing, one for email, one for spreadsheets, one for web browsing. Bit complicated & ex$pen$ive.

Plus 6 or 7 different communication protocols with a special module to let them all talk to each other.  LOL.

r0tor

I think my Alfa has ~ 30 modules spread across 3 different can bus networks
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

When I first encountered a computer network, it had every communications protocol running on it: TCP/IP, NetBIOS, NetBEUI, DLC. It was crazy difficult - stuff had been layered on over the years. Then a new vice president of ops came in and said "enough," and it was blitzed over a long weekend to go to TCP/IP only. There was a week of pain afterwards but it was well worth it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2022, 03:32:25 PM
When I first encountered a computer network, it had every communications protocol running on it: TCP/IP, NetBIOS, NetBEUI, DLC. It was crazy difficult - stuff had been layered on over the years. Then a new vice president of ops came in and said "enough," and it was blitzed over a long weekend to go to TCP/IP only. There was a week of pain afterwards but it was well worth it.

Easy to just replace a piece if things needed to get sorted out.

Can't do that with cars as easy. Plus has to last longer, be subject to impacts, temperatures, etc....  I don't at all envy car electronics engineers....
Will

Laconian

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939617404645376

Check out the IT and flashing shenanigans on Teslas. Sounds like your Ford experience was much better.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man