Acura Thinks The BMW M340i Has A V6 In Comparison Chart With Its Own TLX Type S

Started by cawimmer430, November 01, 2022, 04:26:56 AM

cawimmer430

Damn! Had no idea that BMW made a V6!  :thumbsup:

Acura Thinks The BMW M340i Has A V6 In Comparison Chart With Its Own TLX Type S

The Acura TLX Type S SH-AWD wants to be seen as a direct competitor to the BMW M340i xDrive, which is why there is a comprehensive side-to-side comparison on Acura's official website. A closer look though reveals a mistake as the BMW's engine is wrongfully described as a V6 instead of the inline-six that is.

Not all six-cylinder engines have their cylinders arranged in a "V". Acura engineers know that well, but the people responsible for the website didn't pay close attention to the specs.

In reality, the BMW M340i xDrive is fitted with a turbocharged 3.0-liter straight-six engine producing 382 hp (387 PS / 289 kW) and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque. On the other hand, the turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 under the bonnet of the  Acura TLX Type S SH-AWD produces a slightly lower 355 hp (265 kW / 360 PS) of power and 354 lb-ft (480 Nm) of torque. Both models feature AWD systems, with automatic gearboxes sending power to all four wheels. The difference is that BMW's unit is an 8-speed, as opposed to the 10-speed transmission of the Acura.

Besides the aforementioned mistake, Acura's direct comparison with the BMW has a few points. First of all, it describes the BMW's kidney grille and front-end design as "attractive yet understated", at least compared to the "Diamond Pentagon grille, larger air ducts, and expansive sculpted hood" of the Acura. In the headlight department, the TLX has twice the LED light elements of the German sedan, which is depicted in pre-facelifted form. Another important difference from a stylistic point of view is the 18-inch wheels and dual exhaust pipes of the BMW versus the standard 20-inch wheels and M3-style quad tailpipes of the Acura.

Inside, Acura details the 16-way power adjustable heated and ventilated seats versus BMW's 14-way adjustments without a ventilation option, and the fact that it offers a flat-bottom steering wheel. The comparison goes on with a $65,220 price tag for the BMW when comparably equipped with a $54,200 Acura. If you were in the market for a premium sedan, which one would you choose?

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/10/acura-thinks-the-bmw-m340i-has-a-v6-in-comparison-chart-with-its-own-tlx-type-s/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

I think most people think of cars as having a V4, V6, or V8 with some exotics having more cylinders than that.  That's erroneous as you've pointed out but common vernacular I think is often just putting a "V" in front of the number of cylinders whether the cylinders are actually in a V configuration or not.   

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on November 01, 2022, 02:29:03 PM
I think most people think of cars as having a V4, V6, or V8 with some exotics having more cylinders than that.  That's erroneous as you've pointed out but common vernacular I think is often just putting a "V" in front of the number of cylinders whether the cylinders are actually in a V configuration or not.

My motorcycle has a V1.
You could call it a "flying bomb".
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on November 01, 2022, 02:29:03 PM

Oh, don't even get started on the difference between GM's twin-six and a V-12, or the difference between a horizontally opposed boxer and a 180 degree V.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2022, 03:06:36 PM
Oh, don't even get started on the difference between GM's twin-six and a V-12, or the difference between a horizontally opposed boxer and a 180 degree V.

I'd love to make a twin six out of a Jeep 4.0

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

Definitely a bit cringe on Acura's part. Obviously put together by the marketing department!

The TLX Type S is a huge letdown. It looks stunning in person - best in class maybe save for the Genesis G70 - but it's ginormous and fat (4,200 lbs!). It in no way competes with the rest of the class. It's for the Camry/Accord lover who wants a wee bit more and want to stay with the Japanese.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Quote from: GoCougs on November 02, 2022, 02:01:48 PM
Definitely a bit cringe on Acura's part. Obviously put together by the marketing department!

The TLX Type S is a huge letdown. It looks stunning in person - best in class maybe save for the Genesis G70 - but it's ginormous and fat (4,200 lbs!). It in no way competes with the rest of the class. It's for the Camry/Accord lover who wants a wee bit more and want to stay with the Japanese.

Yeah it seems like with Crossoverpocolypse and EVageddon looming the Japanese have just given up chasing the Germans in the sports sedan segment.  Once the G37 and Is350s could give the Germans a good run for their money in the segment, but they've totally stopped trying.  This used to be a popular sweet spot for a sporty practical car, but no one seems to want them anymore.  Interesting Mazda may be the last Japanese hope in this dying segment.

r0tor

Mazda killed the RWD i6 Mazda 6 replacement... To my absolute dismay

I still sort of have a soft spot for the IS,.however it seems like it has been completely abandoned from the development cycle
.. except the pretty amazing IS500
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed