Toyota Crown

Started by Morris Minor, November 03, 2022, 09:27:53 AM

Morris Minor

I'm looking at the the Wikipedia entry for the new Crown, a crossovery type thing that replaces the Avalon in North America. It really looks to me like Toyota is in danger of taking sales from the Lexus RX. If you're not a badge snob, and don't mind rubbing shoulders with the plebs in Toyota dealerships, it will probably work for you... & save a few $$$.

Looks like a crossover but has a trunk.  :hmm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Crown#Sixteenth_generation
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

I was really interested in it for some reason.  The reviews are pretty underwhelming.  I thought maybe it'd be a great isolation, smooth riding commuter.  Turns out, it doesn't do anything particularly well.  It's not very competitive on price, isn't packaged particularly well, etc.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

It's like a less useful Honda Crosstour.

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on November 03, 2022, 11:21:06 AM
I was really interested in it for some reason.  The reviews are pretty underwhelming.  I thought maybe it'd be a great isolation, smooth riding commuter.  Turns out, it doesn't do anything particularly well.  It's not very competitive on price, isn't packaged particularly well, etc.
The Avalon had its niche: middle-aged & up demographic, quiet, smooth wafting machine for long hauls, like Buicks of old. So this is not encouraging.

cawimmer430

Does Toyota have respect for their Crown's history and heritage? They turned one of the coolest JDM premium cars into an SUV/Crossover...

THIS IS A CROWN.

THIS IS ALSO A CROWN.

AND THIS IS ALSO A CROWN.

AND THIS IS ALSO A CROWN.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

My Dad wanted to buy a Gen 4 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Crown#Fourth_generation_(S60/S70;_1971) in the early 1970s. His brothers talked hime out of it & he ended up with a Volvo 144, which he never liked.

veeman

I don't think Toyota and Lexus compete for sales with one another.  People shopping for a Lexus don't compare them with Toyotas (Toyota Venza probably didn't take a bite out of sales of the Lexus RX). 

I don't really see this selling that well.  The Avalon appealed to those who wanted a smooth soft driving large sedan.  Plus this is priced high, starting at $41 grand. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/crown

AutobahnSHO

I can't imagine the people who enjoy Avalons being drawn to this. Too "fresh" and funky.

Interesting it's so loaded in lowest trim!
Will