Hyundai Ioniq 6

Started by Morris Minor, November 04, 2022, 07:00:35 AM

Morris Minor

Jack Scarlett is a good car review guy. One of the few I'd be happy to have a couple of beers with.

https://youtu.be/_COM7zsoh3w

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Watching now, thanks for posting.  This is the most exciting upcoming car for me.  It's bizarre looking, but there's a beauty to the form following function so much with it.  I'm curious how pricing comes in for it.  More or less than an Ioniq 5?  The same?

In dark colors, it kind of passes as a derpy 911 sedan :lol:  I'm praying it has more head room than the EV6.  That car was packaged pretty poorly for taller people.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Rear headroom is lacking unfortunately. But otherwise it looks to be a gem. Who'd have thought... Hyundai cars were a joke not so long ago.

This channel has a good niche & is intelligently presented - they talk about a lot more than EVs. Good production values too.

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 04, 2022, 08:38:23 AM
Who'd have thought... Hyundai cars were a joke not so long ago.

Initially when Hyundai came to the U.S. in the mid 1980s, they were poor quality but really cheap ($5 grand new for a base model Excel).  My best friend in high school daily drove a Hyundai Excel that his Dad owned and we would do reverse donuts in the high-school parking lot in the winter on the weekends.  It was always getting repaired :lol:  Then I think in 1999 Hyundai in the U.S. started offering 10 yr/100 thousand mile warranty which was best in the business.  I bought a 2007 Hyundai Sonata (made in Alabama) over the equivalent Camcord because for the price of a 4 cylinder Camcord, I got a V6 Sonata with a much better warranty.  Last decade or so, I think they make near equivalent or better product than Honda/Toyota on many models with still outstanding warranty in the U.S. 

Laconian

I love it in the same way I love the Citroen DS. Beautiful in an unconventional and provocative way, extremely modern and extremely aerodynamic. If I wanted a sedan I'm pretty certain this would be it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

heelntoe

Quote from: veeman on November 04, 2022, 09:45:52 AM
Initially when Hyundai came to the U.S. in the mid 1980s, they were poor quality but really cheap ($5 grand new for a base model Excel).  My best friend in high school daily drove a Hyundai Excel that his Dad owned and we would do reverse donuts in the high-school parking lot in the winter on the weekends.  It was always getting repaired :lol:  Then I think in 1999 Hyundai in the U.S. started offering 10 yr/100 thousand mile warranty which was best in the business.  I bought a 2007 Hyundai Sonata (made in Alabama) over the equivalent Camcord because for the price of a 4 cylinder Camcord, I got a V6 Sonata with a much better warranty.  Last decade or so, I think they make near equivalent or better product than Honda/Toyota on many models with still outstanding warranty in the U.S. 
This is pretty much what Jason Cammisa talks about in the latest Icons video:

https://youtu.be/TP7MnSw_5QQ
@heelntoe

veeman

Quote from: heelntoe on November 05, 2022, 09:11:55 AM
This is pretty much what Jason Cammisa talks about in the latest Icons video:

https://youtu.be/TP7MnSw_5QQ

Thanks for posting!  Awesome video.

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 04, 2022, 08:38:23 AM
Rear headroom is lacking unfortunately. But otherwise it looks to be a gem. Who'd have thought... Hyundai cars were a joke not so long ago.

This channel has a good niche & is intelligently presented - they talk about a lot more than EVs. Good production values too.

Rear headroom is not super critical.  I'm just driving by myself or with 1 passenger 90% of the time.

I do like that weird purple color.  It's unique.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

It's not unique, it's Iioniq!

r0tor

EVs probably suit Hyundai/Kias model better than ICE.  They have been focusing on interior materials and hiding ancient mechanical bits the consumer doesn't see.  In the EV world, those mechanical bits (not including battery) are pretty generic and will look a lot better when still being used 20 years from now than an ICE engine from 20 years ago.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 06, 2022, 02:07:38 PM
It's not unique, it's Iioniq!

Quote from: r0tor on November 06, 2022, 02:12:53 PM
EVs probably suit Hyundai/Kias model better than ICE.  They have been focusing on interior materials and hiding ancient mechanical bits the consumer doesn't need.  In the EV world, those mechanical bits (not including battery) are pretty generic and will look a lot better when still being used 20 years from now than an ICE engine from 20 years ago.

So they should change the model name to Anioniq, eh?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

everytime I see this I think of this

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Will

MrH

It's ugly, but endearing.

Depending on the price (and EV credit situation), it could be a good deal :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

I could never buy something thst ugly
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

Quote from: MrH on November 23, 2022, 06:14:20 AM
It's ugly, but endearing.

Depending on the price (and EV credit situation), it could be a good deal :lol:

Talk about a blast from the past :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

I can't decide if it's ugly or compelling. Like one of those models with faces that are a bit strange and you can't help but gawk.

FoMoJo

It has that dog taking a dump look.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on November 23, 2022, 12:02:53 PM
I can't decide if it's ugly or compelling. Like one of those models with faces that are a bit strange and you can't help but gawk.

Yes!  That's exactly what it's like.  Can't tell if attractive or hideous.  I feel that way about a lot of models, which I think is what they go for.  Hire people that are very unique looking so you can't stop looking.  This is the same thing.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

I thought the US was now allowing cameras instead of the big-ears door mirrors?  That's got to be worth a little bit of extra range.

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on November 24, 2022, 10:36:18 AM
Yes!  That's exactly what it's like.  Can't tell if attractive or hideous.  I feel that way about a lot of models, which I think is what they go for.  Hire people that are very unique looking so you can't stop looking.  This is the same thing.
I'm going to reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh. But I have a feeling Hyundai will never be able to keep up with demand whatever I end up thinking. For never-Tesla buyers this, and the Ioniq 5, are no-brainers IMO.
(Having just dropped off the low-mid trim Sonata rental I've had for a week, I'm super-impressed with Hyundai.)

Laconian

Yeah, test drives are never going to happen for any of the Ioniqs. People buy them sight unseen. It sucks.