NYPD Chargers

Started by L. ed foote, February 10, 2006, 08:01:04 AM

L. ed foote

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Dodge this, punks
BY ALISON GENDAR and BILL HUTCHINSON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Friday, February 10th, 2006

If it's good enough for Daisy Duke and her outlaw kin, it's good enough for New York's Finest.  
LEF: NYPD's getting indestructable 1969 Chargers? :blink:

Looking for a car that can peel rubber and keep pace with the revved-up rigs of rebels, the NYPD is adding the Dodge Charger - the preferred ride of the Dukes of Hazzard - to its fleet of cruisers.

"We're always looking for good equipment, including a little muscle in the car department," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

The 2006 Charger can giddyap to 150 mph, and reach 60 mph in 6.52 seconds.

"The car that does 110 mph doesn't do it anymore," said Leonard Lesko, the NYPD's director of fleet services.

The NYPD is buying 15 of the muscle cars, equipped with 5.7-liter, V-8 Hemi engines and a road-warrior reputation.

Dodge introduced the car in 1966, but Steve McQueen made it famous in the 1968 flick "Bullitt" playing a San Francisco cop tailing a blood-thirsty underworld kingpin who drove a Charger.

The car's rep got a resurgence last year in "The Dukes of Hazzard" movie, a retread of the 1980s TV series. Jessica Simpson played the hot-pants-wearing Daisy Duke, who along with her cousins Bo and Luke were always on the run from the law in a souped-up '69 Charger, the General Lee.

Lesko said the NYPD's Highway Unit will begin test driving 10 of the Chargers this summer.

The hot wheels, which run about $23,000 for civilian models, will be outfitted with fortified front seats, no rear-door handles and heftier brakes for the NYPD.

The department's 3,000-vehicle patrol fleet is now dominated by Ford Crown Victorias and Chevrolet Impalas.
Member, Self Preservation Society

TBR

Note to self: Next time I see a New York Times above a what is probably a car article I should immediately press the back button.

It is good that they are getting Chargers, but that article is horrible.

SVT666

That is one of the worst articles I have ever read.  It reads like a Grade 8 movie review.  Cool looking cars though.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

What building is that?!

cawimmer430

QuoteWhat building is that?!
Obviously one that needs protection.  :D  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

:devil:  :thumbsup:  

TurboDan

QuoteThat is one of the worst articles I have ever read.  It reads like a Grade 8 movie review.  Cool looking cars though.
LOL.  That's the Daily News, cousin of the NY Post.  Both papers have very similar writing, but just a different editorial slant.  They're pretty entertaining if you see them often enough.  

TurboDan

In the "MAGNUM PRECINCT" apparently.   :lol:  

Catman

BTW, the Magnum is the better police car in my opinion.  More versatile and the roof line and rear doors are more accommodating for passengers/prisoners.  Also, the Hemi's are getting better mileage than the Ford 4.6L. :blink:  

hounddog

QuoteBTW, the Magnum is the better police car in my opinion.  More versatile and the roof line and rear doors are more accommodating for passengers/prisoners.  Also, the Hemi's are getting better mileage than the Ford 4.6L. :blink:
Ours is getting 19-20, while our v6 is getting 22-24.  Our CVPI's are getting around 13-15.  
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Catman

QuoteBTW, the Magnum is the better police car in my opinion.  More versatile and the roof line and rear doors are more accommodating for passengers/prisoners.  Also, the Hemi's are getting better mileage than the Ford 4.6L. :blink:
Ours is getting 19-20, while our v6 is getting 22-24.  Our CVPI's are getting around 13-15.
Those $'s add up to a lot at the end of the year.  The extra money for the Hemi gets erased pretty quickly doesn't it?

hounddog

QuoteBTW, the Magnum is the better police car in my opinion.? More versatile and the roof line and rear doors are more accommodating for passengers/prisoners.? Also, the Hemi's are getting better mileage than the Ford 4.6L. :blink:
Those $'s add up to a lot at the end of the year.  The extra money for the Hemi gets erased pretty quickly doesn't it?
We are really surprised at the economy of both cars.  A couple of years ago we tested an Impala and it wasn't any better on gas than our v6 is.  Plus it was a dog.  Starting this week we have been asked to turn off the v8 while idling and to do as much easy driving as we can.  Chief wants to know what the maximum milage is to try to sell the board on 2 more hemi's next month.   He wants to take the median milage as the selling tool.

As it stands, we are budgeting $5000 per 40 hours of patrol time now for fuel.  And the CVPI's are using 90-95% of that budget.  What are you guys budgeting?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

VTEC_Inside

110mph doesn't cut it anymore???

I thought light speed was fast enough (radio).

Ludicrous speed go!!!!
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

ifcar

Just noticed this: "NYDN byline 'Dodge this, punks'"

The byline tells who wrote the story (who it's by). That's the subhead.  

Tom

"reach 60 mph in 6.52 seconds"

:lol:

giant_mtb

Quote"reach 60 mph in 6.52 seconds"

:lol:
...why's that funny...

JYODER240

because thats a pretty slow 0-60 time for a 345bhp charger.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

hounddog

Quotebecause thats a pretty slow 0-60 time for a 345bhp charger.
I believe that the PPV version is 340.  Sooo, there ya go in making it that much slower!   ;)

DC used a 2.87, or something very close to that, final drive gear to keep the acceleration managable.  The civilian version has a little better gearing for takeoff.  The other thing it is supposed to do is improve fuel economy by a mpg or so.  With these gears, and no electronic limiter, DC engineers claim to be hitting a steady 168-170 mph range at Chelsea Prooving Grounds.  

The real values of this car are the optional side air bags for $350 bucks, and the enormous brakes.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Atomic

QuoteBTW, the Magnum is the better police car in my opinion.  More versatile and the roof line and rear doors are more accommodating for passengers/prisoners.  Also, the Hemi's are getting better mileage than the Ford 4.6L. :blink:
tell me more about your charger/magnum squad cars  :lol: !!! how many, etc. ???

~ atomic  :pullover:  

mybrid

This is for ATOMIC!
NYPD

:ph34r:  B)  :rockon:  :pullover:  :pullover:  :pullover:  
Yield, Follow or get out of the way, cause the Charger P/P is in the rearview![/size][/font]