The Stickshift might survive the EV transition

Started by Laconian, November 18, 2022, 07:18:17 PM

Laconian

Why the Stick Shift Might Actually Survive the Electric Revolution
Some enthusiasts don't want to give up the pleasure and control of shifting through gears, and automakers are taking note.

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/manual-transmission-electric-vehicles-future-1234774864/
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

I have a simpler solution.

Internal Combustion Engine + eFuels = Manual Transmission Can Be Kept Alive  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on November 18, 2022, 07:18:17 PM
Why the Stick Shift Might Actually Survive the Electric Revolution
Some enthusiasts don't want to give up the pleasure and control of shifting through gears, and automakers are taking note.

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/manual-transmission-electric-vehicles-future-1234774864/

I read the article.  I don't think the stick shift will make it on to EV cars as an option except for niche custom made very expensive ones.  I don't think for example in the future someone could check off they want a stick shift on a Ford Mustang Mach-E as an option from the factory.  It adds complexity and cost and there's a strong element of "fake" to it. 

cawimmer430

How would a "manual transmission" even work in an EV? Doesn't make sense.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 20, 2022, 07:09:37 AM

Same way the EV Challenger will have an exhaust note.

Fakery.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Variable torque multiplication still applies somewhat.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

I mean couldn't you theoretically have an electric motor's output shaft feed into a transmission just like an input shaft?

Obviously makes no sense to add drivetrain efficiency losses to a motor, but at least on paper seems more than doable. Dumb? Sure.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

AutobahnSHO

I'd rather have the gearbox with paddle shifters and no clutch. Would help in low-traction situations or getting ready for max acceleration out of a corner.... 

OR eve use it for maximizing regeneration on a downhill.  Since cars don't look ahead they don't know the terrain changing.
Will