The first car I drove in the USA...

Started by Morris Minor, December 09, 2022, 12:17:45 PM

Morris Minor

This was in August 1979  - Mercury Grand Marquis - I think a 1972... magic carpet ride.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

That had to be a world apart from the Austin Princess or whatever you were used to driving at the time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

The a/c compressor on the Marquis was bigger than the old nail 1256cc engine in my Vauxhall Chevette.

RomanChariot

My parents and my oldest brother both had Chevrolet Chevettes in the late '70's. In 1981 my sister hit some black ice and bounced my parent's car off of a rocky cliff and into a guardrail but she and my brother walked away from the crash with minor injuries. I don't know what happened to my oldest brother's car.

Soup DeVille

Chevettes were legendary for their shittyness. Its hard to imagine you guys had one with an engine 30% smaller than the slowest one we had here.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

If you look closely you can see the Mercury is already rotting around the rear wheel well. This was in the Philly area so, snow & road salt.

FoMoJo

Seven years was pretty good for a car back then.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

'84 Chevy Celebrity.  4 banger iron duke engine.  Underpowered, no passenger side view mirror, bench front and rear seats.  But roomy and big trunk.  Any running car is a good car for a junior or senior in high school.

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 09, 2022, 12:17:45 PM
This was in August 1979  - Mercury Grand Marquis - I think a 1972... magic carpet ride.

What a boat!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

I'm jealous! The 1972 Mercury Marquis is so frigging hot and sexy and erotic! I mean, just look at it!!!

I'll take mine in this green with a "F*ck you, Greta!" sticker on the rear trunk lid!  :praise: :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 13, 2022, 04:31:58 AM
I'm jealous! The 1972 Mercury Marquis is so frigging hot and sexy and erotic! I mean, just look at it!!!

I'll take mine in this green with a "F*ck you, Greta!" sticker on the rear trunk lid!  :praise: :wub:
It's awesome and I'm forever grateful that our host allowed a 22-year-old, who'd never driven on American roads, to drive it. It was utterly silent.

I love it too but the best of the era remains this IMO - just utterly gorgeous, oozing American confidence while the rest of the world slunk around in spartan & cramped little Austins & Renaults.
https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=36175.msg2543601#msg2543601

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV