Car repossessions are on the rise

Started by Laconian, December 17, 2022, 10:52:53 PM

dazzleman

Not surprising at all.  Americans have long been overleveraged.  My own opinion is that if a person is buying more than a basic car and needs financing to do it, then he can't afford the car.  It's idiotic to have huge debt and payments on a rapidly depreciating asset.  Once again, Americans have been snookered into having permanent car payments, rather than payments for the first 3 years or so, followed by a period of ownership without payments.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Morris Minor

I assume car loan debt: prime, near-prime & sub-prime, is packaged and resold like everything else.
The value of the collateral, new & used cars, was inflated by low supply and free COVID-bucks. So the finance companies and the debt holders have a big problem: borrowers have walked away and all that repossessed inventory is not worth what they're owed.
Apart from the large volume of repossessions that needs to be unloaded, the value of that excess supply is *also* lowered by its relative undesirability vs soon-to-be heavily subsidized EVs.
See also: https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=34841.msg2553385#msg2553385

This (evidently from the president of some group of dealerships) has had lots of retweets.
https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1603794722140688384

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Used car prices shot up so much it was easier to justify a new car loan.

But really, easy debt is a cancer in our country. Too many people over-extend themselves for too many things. When "everyone" is doing it, it's easy to believe that a car payment for life and second mortgage are "normal" and they'll eventually pay it all off.
Will

CaminoRacer

I think the numbers are still lower than pre-pandemic, so nothing to worry about (yet)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Laconian

I just showed that to Cedric yesterday :lol: So many 25 year olds up to their eyeballs in debt.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

My sister's significant other drives an elderly Euro version Honda Accord - no payments haha. He could be a model for the Millionaire Next Door books.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 20, 2022, 12:51:50 AM
I just showed that to Cedric yesterday :lol: So many 25 year olds up to their eyeballs in debt.

That's just when it starts. If they're smart they dig out by 35-40 but many never do.

A dude making what I make just dropped pictures on FB of his new house they're building- 3 stories 6 bedrooms, at least 3 living areas. Sure he has a bunch of kids but I'm thinking he'll be comfortable with his salary and payments but not if something unexpected happens....
Will