Future mods?

Started by AutobahnSHO, December 20, 2022, 11:35:40 AM

AutobahnSHO

Drop in Tesla motors... Just have to figure out where to put batteries and charging and...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-crate-motor-ev-conversion-small-block-v-8/
Will

r0tor

They are gaining traction - but the motor is nothing without an adequate battery with cooling good enough to keep up with the output.  The latter will make doing resto mods that actually perform to be a mighty tough task.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

The RC car community has been at it for a long time
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

I'm contemplating an EV restomod business. Just need some more shop space.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Are you going to swap in an electric motor in the El Camino?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 20, 2022, 06:46:50 PM
Are you going to swap in an electric motor in the El Camino?

I think it was Lingenfelter that swapped a Bolt drivetrain into an El Camino a year or two ago. I have a donor car sitting in the driveway... :lol:
But no, I'll keep it carbureted SBC. I just spent a few grand to swap the 5 speed into it last year.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 20, 2022, 08:20:23 PM
I think it was Lingenfelter that swapped a Bolt drivetrain into an El Camino a year or two ago. I have a donor car sitting in the driveway... :lol:
But no, I'll keep it carbureted SBC. I just spent a few grand to swap the 5 speed into it last year.

Where do you put the batteries and other fun bits?
Will

AutobahnSHO

And really if you're not going high performance you could limit the motor output and ditch quite a bit of the fancy stuff- impress on the driver they only get short bursts of speed and need to go gentle the rest of the time....
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 21, 2022, 12:06:48 PM
Where do you put the batteries and other fun bits?

Both of the Bolt swapped trucks (Blazer and El Camino) had the stock Bolt battery pack in the truck bed.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 21, 2022, 02:39:30 PM
Both of the Bolt swapped trucks (Blazer and El Camino) had the stock Bolt battery pack in the truck bed.

That's just too easy though! :lol:
Will