Need big truck: TUNDRA

Started by Eye of the Tiger, February 09, 2023, 05:27:21 AM

Eye of the Tiger

I changed the spork plugs today. One plug hole had some oil in it. I guess I have to do valve cover gaskets. I mean, that was the only oil leak anywhere on the engine. I coated the coil with dielectric grease to displace any oil intrusion for a while. It wasn't misfiring, anyway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 01, 2023, 07:49:42 AMOne if the actual things I'm going to do is undercoat with Fluid Film. It's a little rusty, and I want it to stay just a little.

Fluid Film is balls.  If you can do it yourself, get NH oil or B'laster surface shield.  They last WAY longer.  And they don't smell like balls.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on June 22, 2023, 04:10:35 PMFluid Film is balls.  If you can do it yourself, get NH oil or B'laster surface shield.  They last WAY longer.  And they don't smell like balls.

It turns out that the dealer undercoated it as part of their pre-delivery service. They didn't even charge me for it. It looks just like black Fluid Film. I'll have it recoated again before winter. Places around here do it for around $200.

giant_mtb

I did Fluid Film (black) on Taco last fall. I have mixed feelings. It lasted through winter. But now my frame and everything else I sprayed (rear axle, a-arms, etc) is permanently coated in dust because it's sticky stuff and I drive a lot of dirt roads. No more brand new black frame look, basically rendering the "black" part of the FF moot.

I imagine that's pretty much just par for the course with any spray coating meant to stick/hold on...it's gonna attract and hold dirt/dust. If it keeps the rust away...IDGAF in the long run.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 22, 2023, 04:47:06 PMI did Fluid Film (black) on Taco last fall. I have mixed feelings. It lasted through winter. But now my frame and everything else I sprayed (rear axle, a-arms, etc) is permanently coated in dust because it's sticky stuff and I drive a lot of dirt roads. No more brand new black frame look, basically rendering the "black" part of the FF moot.

I imagine that's pretty much just par for the course with any spray coating meant to stick/hold on...it's gonna attract and hold dirt/dust. If it keeps the rust away...IDGAF in the long run.

I intend to never drive TUNDRA on dirt roads, or off road. :lol:

Heck, when I installed a new antenna grommet in the fender, I pulled a at least a gallon of packed dirt from behind the fender liner. Eww. Truck needs to stay clean.

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 22, 2023, 04:19:25 PMIt turns out that the dealer undercoated it as part of their pre-delivery service. They didn't even charge me for it. It looks just like black Fluid Film. I'll have it recoated again before winter. Places around here do it for around $200.

There's a place in Manchester that does NH oil and has a good reputation...not sure how far that is for you but it's worth looking into.  The do chassis and cavity sprays.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 22, 2023, 04:47:06 PMI did Fluid Film (black) on Taco last fall. I have mixed feelings. It lasted through winter. But now my frame and everything else I sprayed (rear axle, a-arms, etc) is permanently coated in dust because it's sticky stuff and I drive a lot of dirt roads. No more brand new black frame look, basically rendering the "black" part of the FF moot.

Yeah, that's the downside with any kind of oil/grease spray.  But the dust/dirt it attracts also helps protect the grease against road spray.

Waxy coverings end up semi-dry and don't collect dust and dirt like oils do.  Some people love waxy coatings because of their durability, others claim that because it's not an oil, it doesn't creep and can actually trap, rather than expel, moisture.  My guess is a thick oil/grease coating in cavities + something like coal tar paint (with a nice layer of satin top coat for aesthetics) on the chassis is the best way to go.

I did a B'laster coating myself on my G.  It's been a year and it's still thick and tacky save for one or two small areas that I had to touch up (which I may have just missed in the initial treatment).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on June 22, 2023, 05:59:49 PMThere's a place in Manchester that does NH oil and has a good reputation...not sure how far that is for you but it's worth looking into.  The do chassis and cavity sprays.

I've seen NH oil around. Manchester is a few hours away, but not out of the question. New England is basically one big state, unless you're carrying a gun. :lol:

Submariner

Where are you in CT again?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on June 22, 2023, 06:10:25 PMWhere are you in CT again?

Colchester, a little uppity town in the middle of nowhere.

Submariner

I know exactly where that is.  And it's only 30ish minutes from Manchester.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on June 22, 2023, 06:19:13 PMI know exactly where that is.  And it's only 30ish minutes from Manchester.

For some reason, I thought you were talking about Manchester, NH. I guess because it's NH Oil.
Manchester, CT isn't far all.

Submariner

Ahh okay that makes sense.

GoCougs

WTF is the burnout video???

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on June 22, 2023, 09:04:59 PMWTF is the burnout video???

Man, these tires are $300 a piece. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

I replaced all my tire valve stems today. Old TPMS sensors were corroded and leaking. I don't need no stinking light on my dash telling me a tire is low.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 28, 2023, 12:51:57 PMI replaced all my tire valve stems today. Old TPMS sensors were corroded and leaking. I don't need no stinking light on my dash telling me a tire is low.

We have a perpetual tpms light on Odyssey...
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 29, 2023, 04:14:42 AMWe have a perpetual tpms light on Odyssey...

I like the flashing light. It feels like a space ship.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 29, 2023, 01:06:10 PMShoulda got the F150.

Man, I don't know if I ever want to own another Ford.
 I just want Tundras.
Big ones.
  Bigger ones.
Fast ones.
 Faster ones.
Tundras.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 29, 2023, 01:08:36 PMMan, I don't know if I ever want to own another Ford.
 I just want Tundras.
Big ones.
  Bigger ones.
Fast ones.
 Faster ones.
Tundras.
How about a RAM?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 29, 2023, 01:10:18 PMHow about a RAM?

Nope. I don't like how FCA handles quality issues.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 29, 2023, 01:35:08 PMNope. I don't like how FCA handles quality issues.
Likely better than Toyota.  They usually just blame the customer.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 29, 2023, 01:59:03 PMLikely better than Toyota.  They usually just blame the customer.

Customers are idiots. I am so glad to be leaving the auto repair business.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 29, 2023, 02:05:06 PMCustomers are idiots. I am so glad to be leaving the auto repair business.
Perhaps you mentioned, but what is your new job about?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 29, 2023, 02:09:58 PMPerhaps you mentioned, but what is your new job about?

Building electric boats for the Navy.

FoMoJo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 29, 2023, 02:42:45 PMSounds complicated.

I imagine they will just have me machine a part to spec, but I won't really know what it is.