Car Market Fookery

Started by Eye of the Tiger, March 06, 2023, 01:29:36 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Is the market going to normalize anytime soon? Nobody knows, but it is definitely a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/live/kUKDX4V52Tw?

half-assed cliffs notes:

-Auto loan balances are at an all time high
-Loan delinquency rates are increasing
-Increasing negative equity is likely to hurt future car sales
-Our transportation infrastructure absolutely sucks, so "everyone" needs a car
-Some consumers will pay anything for a new car, as long as they can get that 96- month loan
-Dealer associations, franchises, and lobbyists continue to protect themselves from direct manufacturer sales and price limits
-Buy a Mazda
-Your best bet is to get prequalified for your loan through your own bank or credit union
-Computer chip and other shortages seem to be getting better, but prices remain high because they can
-You probably won't get a deal if you special order a manual transmission because the dealer is afraid of getting stuck with it
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 06, 2023, 01:44:21 PM
Definitely buy a Mazda

But I bought a Toyota :lol:

This is my loan, which is apparently better than many new car loans:

Soup DeVille

Computer chip allocations go to the most profitable cars. If they need 50 chips for a Grand Wagoneer, and 25 for a base level Dart- they'll choose to make 1 Wagoneer instead of 2 Darts. Other companies are decontenting their cars- a lot of models out there lacking "standard" features like memory seats, or adaptive cruise.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Meh same type of video is really popular in many flavors right now.

People have always paid too much for cars. Market will correct when buyers stop the craziness.

I saw a couple Mavericks available 70 miles from here, emailed. They want $10-14k over MSRP for them. I said thanks but no thanks.
Will

Laconian

What the hell is going on with Ford dealers? My cousin looked at a Mustang Mach E GT *used*, and the dealer wanted $100k for it. USED!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I don't believe that they get enough customers who actually fall for that nonsense anymore. Maybe a year or two ago but there can't be that many desperate idiots still, can there? I think there are plenty of people paying $3-5k over but not double MSRP for normal cars. The Z06 corvettes up for auction last week on Cars and Bids and Bring a Trailer both failed to reach the ridiculous reserves set by the sellers

AutobahnSHO

Yeah I can't wait until the greedy dealers are left underwater.
Will

Morris Minor

My thoughts.

• A substantial chunk (not all, but still enough) of demand is switching to EVs or at least PHEVs.
  • Therefore an equivalent chunk of the demand for ICE has dropped.
  • Which means ICE makers' profits will drop.
  • Which makes it tougher for legacy ICE makers to fund their transition to EV production.
  • This also means ICE residuals will drop as their desirability drops.
  • So financing them will become less desirable, with the risk of borrowers going upside down into negative equity territory.
  • So higher risk of defaults and much pain for the lenders.
  • My hunch is the automakers will go to the government for help in one form or another: loans, backing off on zero emissions targets etc.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 06, 2023, 06:29:36 PM
My thoughts.

• A substantial chunk (not all, but still enough) of demand is switching to EVs or at least PHEVs.
  • Therefore an equivalent chunk of the demand for ICE has dropped.
  • Which means ICE makers' profits will drop.
  • Which makes it tougher for legacy ICE makers to fund their transition to EV production.
  • This also means ICE residuals will drop as their desirability drops.
  • So financing them will become less desirable, with the risk of borrowers going upside down into negative equity territory.
  • So higher risk of defaults and much pain for the lenders.
  • My hunch is the automakers will go to the government for help in one form or another: loans, backing off on zero emissions targets etc.

I think the market should mostly balance out as we go. Lower ICE prices will create demand for them, at least on the used market.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of shocks, with government policy changes and such. (see: tax credit changes this year and the Jan-March buying rush)

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 06, 2023, 07:32:35 PM
I think the market should mostly balance out as we go. Lower ICE prices will create demand for them, at least on the used market.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of shocks, with government policy changes and such. (see: tax credit changes this year and the Jan-March buying rush)
Good points.
I have in mind the emissions & fuel consumption diktats that were handed down in the early 1970s. The short deadline forced the Big Three to hurriedly cobble together what they could & rush lots of underdeveloped low quailty products to market. This opened the door to the Japanese.

History is repeating itself.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 07, 2023, 05:21:29 AM
Good points.
I have in mind the emissions & fuel consumption diktats that were handed down in the early 1970s. The short deadline forced the Big Three to hurriedly cobble together what they could & rush lots of underdeveloped low quailty products to market. This opened the door to the Japanese.

History is repeating itself.

It is. Even the new Toyota trucks with turbo V6s, rather than the gas sucking V8s, are having significant problems. At least they are sticking with their tried and true hybrids for now, rather than jumping straight to EVs.

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 07, 2023, 06:37:50 AM
It is. Even the new Toyota trucks with turbo V6s, rather than the gas sucking V8s, are having significant problems. At least they are sticking with their tried and true hybrids for now, rather than jumping straight to EVs.

Hasn't gone well for Toyota. Turbocharging didn't go well for Honda either. Jesus.

CALL_911

I'm shopping for a car for my father- haven't done this in a bit. Back then I'd have laughed at paying sticker. Now I'm "negotiating" by saying we'll pay sticker??? He's buying a fucking E-class, not a Ferrari and they want a $5k ADM which I laughed at.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 06, 2023, 02:28:10 PM
But I bought a Toyota :lol:

This is my loan, which is apparently better than many new car loans:

How in god's name is that better than any car loan? 14.44%????????

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 07, 2023, 08:44:56 AM
How in god's name is that better than any car loan? 14.44%????????

Look at the interest rates right now. This is as good as it gets for me.

This is from December, and rates have only increased since then:

My score is still stuck in 600s, so 14-15% is as good as it gets on a 15 year old truck.

AutobahnSHO

Yeah, interest rates are WACK. House rates are triple now what they were in 2020!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 07, 2023, 05:41:24 PM
Yeah, interest rates are WACK. House rates are triple now what they were in 2020!

I bought my house at the lowest of the interest rates, and my truck at the highest. It all evens out, right? :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

The local Acura dealer is advertising the fact that they have FOUR vehicles in stock. Wow.

MrH

The tide is turning quick. The local Jeep dealer has something like 170 new vehicles, everything has at least $5k off MSRP it looks like.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I just got a letter in the mail from my Mazda dealer offering to buy my RX-8 back ... So exciting and a limited time offer....

...it was for $2,263....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 12, 2023, 06:18:33 PM
I just got a letter in the mail from my Mazda dealer offering to buy my RX-8 back ... So exciting and a limited time offer....

...it was for $2,263....

Take it

CaminoRacer

...it was for $2,263....

Funny, they called me yesterday to buy my Miata. I didn't answer or call back.

Soup DeVille

...it was for $2,263....

I'll give you $2300 even.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 12, 2023, 07:58:00 PM
I'll give you $2300 even.

Come on.... I'm about to put $800 of new brakes on it   :rage:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 13, 2023, 06:57:45 AM
Come on.... I'm about to put $800 of new brakes on it   :rage:

Okay, throw in the brakes, and we'll make it 3100.

Eye of the Tiger

I'll do the brakes, myself. Trade for Jeep with "good" brakes.

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 13, 2023, 07:32:21 AM
I'll do the brakes, myself. Trade for Jeep with "good" brakes.

No... One jeep is enough jeeps to jeep around in

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 13, 2023, 08:17:15 AM
No... One jeep is enough jeeps to jeep around in

But this isn't for Jeeping because it's 2WD. It is obviously a street racer like an RX-8.