New way to steal cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, April 16, 2023, 06:47:30 PM

AutobahnSHO

:confused:

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/thieves-stealing-cars-through-headlight-hack/

Take off trim, plug device into headlight wires to hack the car to unlock and start and drive off...
Will

Laconian

Oh crap! That's clever. I assumed that the soft CAN bus underbelly was only accessible from inside the car, but apparently that's not the case...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

LOL. Sorry about your CAN BUS.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 16, 2023, 06:55:27 PM
Oh crap! That's clever. I assumed that the soft CAN bus underbelly was only accessible from inside the car, but apparently that's not the case...

I'm sure this will get patched pretty quickly. Not allow certain signals from certain paths. But still!!!!
Will

Laconian

Maybe..? It depends on how many cars have the vulnerability. Supporting products that are near or past their "end of life" is pretty costly and companies aren't going to do it longer than they absolutely have to.

CaminoRacer

My El Camino is seeming more and more safe. Carb + manual transmission, no one knows how to hack that anymore :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 16, 2023, 08:28:05 PM
My El Camino is seeming more and more safe. Carb + manual transmission, no one knows how to hack that anymore :lol:

Basically impossible to steal in 2023

r0tor

It goes beyond the headlights... You know those front collision  radar sensors on most cars these days?  Can bus connected and sitting right there in the open.  Also while dumbutts are stealing your catalytic converter, they could instead just tap into the can bus running to the transmission, AWD system, or possibly an active differential.

Can bus has no security on it.  You can get an Arduino and a $5 can bus transmitter and see and spoof whatever traffic you want on the network.  The only way to stop it is with a physical switched relays which automakers have abandoned... like a clutch pedal
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 17, 2023, 05:47:31 AM
It goes beyond the headlights... You know those front collision  radar sensors on most cars these days?  Can bus connected and sitting right there in the open.  Also while dumbutts are stealing your catalytic converter, they could instead just tap into the can bus running to the transmission, AWD system, or possibly an active differential.

Can bus has no security on it.  You can get an Arduino and a $5 can bus transmitter and see and spoof whatever traffic you want on the network.  The only way to stop it is with a physical switched relays which automakers have abandoned... like a clutch pedal

Yep. Most relays are now solid state and built into circuit boards. Can't fix it. Can steal it.

veeman

I got a knock off "the club" device from Amazon that hooks onto my steering wheel.  Use it all the time when parking in a public area or even my driveway.  It's defeatable if a thief has the right tools to cut the steering wheel or cut through the metal device itself or if you tow the car but not many thieves I think are prepared for that or want to go through that effort for a base model Hyundai econo hatch.

I have no theft prevention device for the catalytic converter however.

giant_mtb

Wonder how easy (or not easy) it would be to wire up some sort of battery kill switch on a newer car.

Although I guess that would be sort of annoying as it would make stuff like remote locks and remote starting not work. lol

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 17, 2023, 10:34:17 AM
Wonder how easy (or not easy) it would be to wire up some sort of battery kill switch on a newer car.

Although I guess that would be sort of annoying as it would make stuff like remote locks and remote starting not work. lol

Yeah I think it would be a pain with all the electronics that are normally always-on. At least settings and radio stations tend to be stored in memory instead of resetting every time

Eye of the Tiger

I used to install remote kill switches and GPS trackers for a used car dealer. It's not hard, but you need a cell subscription. I'm sure the same thing could be done with a key fob.

What it is is a physical relay that interrupts part of the starter circuit, rather than a battery kill switch.

MrH

I can't imagine ever living in a place where I felt the need to put The Club on my car in my own driveway :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

What happens when your car is stolen?

You CAN BUS then

🤣
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

veeman

Quote from: MrH on April 17, 2023, 10:58:04 AM
I can't imagine ever living in a place where I felt the need to put The Club on my car in my own driveway :confused:

I live in a nice well off rural small town in lower Connecticut.  2 acre zoning per house.  My wife is on the town women's Facebook group.  When we first moved here 10 years ago I'd keep the house's outdoor lights off at night because of light pollution (I like the concept of dark starry nights).  Then about 5 years ago, we heard lots of reports of cars stolen from driveways at night.  Both professional thieves and amateurs.  They would scope out a local street, make note of which cars were parked where, and then a few days later steal a car at night.  Because it's 2 acre zoning and no street lights on local roads, stealing a car from a driveway without anyone noticing isn't that hard to do.

So for the last 5 years, I say f_ck you to the dark starry nights and keep my external house lights and driveway column lights on all night long.  When I have extended family spend the night, I have them park their cars in the garage and I pull my own cars out onto the driveway in front of the garage where there is a light shining on them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on April 17, 2023, 11:21:23 AM
I live in a nice well off rural small town in lower Connecticut.  2 acre zoning per house.  My wife is on the town women's Facebook group.  When we first moved here 10 years ago I'd keep the house's outdoor lights off at night because of light pollution (I like the concept of dark starry nights).  Then about 5 years ago, we heard lots of reports of cars stolen from driveways at night.  Both professional thieves and amateurs.  They would scope out a local street, make note of which cars were parked where, and then a few days later steal a car at night.  Because it's 2 acre zoning and no street lights on local roads, stealing a car from a driveway without anyone noticing isn't that hard to do.

So for the last 5 years, I say f_ck you to the dark starry nights and keep my external house lights and driveway column lights on all night long.  When I have extended family spend the night, I have them park their cars in the garage and I pull my own cars out onto the driveway in front of the garage where there is a light shining on them.

I live in a small town in eastern Connneeeccttticut. I'm not very worried about violent crime or theft, but the traffic on this state road is full of criminal speeders with zero enforcement. All these people probably work in a big city, and continue to drive like big city assholes al the way back to their brand new cookie cutter homes in this previously quiet town. I leave my front porch light on 24/7, and I'm considering replacing it with annoying as fuck flood lights that shine directly into traffic.

MrH

Quote from: veeman on April 17, 2023, 11:21:23 AM

Ah, that's sad.  If your lot is that big, I would strongly consider a remote operated gate maybe?  Guess it depends on your property layout.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

How about a blinking blue light?

CaminoRacer

Hire Nick and TUNDRA to guard the neighborhood . TUNDRA is sure to scare off any thieves

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 17, 2023, 01:09:45 PM
Hire Nick and TUNDRA to guard the neighborhood . TUNDRA is sure to scare off any thieves

It currently has a giant bag of dog poop in the bed. Come at me, fuckers.

r0tor

Clutch pedal
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

veeman

Quote from: MrH on April 17, 2023, 12:10:57 PM
Ah, that's sad.  If your lot is that big, I would strongly consider a remote operated gate maybe?  Guess it depends on your property layout.

No reports of local house burglaries so it isn't that bad (yet).  I have a two entrance semicircular driveway and the house is in full view of the street so gates would look weird.  Plus mostly I need those Amazon packages and clothes from the dry cleaner at my doorstep  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 16, 2023, 08:03:45 PM
Maybe..? It depends on how many cars have the vulnerability. Supporting products that are near or past their "end of life" is pretty costly and companies aren't going to do it longer than they absolutely have to.

My guess is that this affects only the newest cars (last couple years) which have sensors or lights which talk to the Can Bus.

Quote from: MrH on April 17, 2023, 10:58:04 AM

People suck- you're describing most of the country, because thieves rarely steal from their own neighborhood. Some crackheads stole the catalytic converter from the 2003 Odyssey my son's driving, and he lives and works in a super populated area with tons of traffic.
Will

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 17, 2023, 05:38:36 PM
My guess is that this affects only the newest cars (last couple years) which have sensors or lights which talk to the Can Bus.

People suck- you're describing most of the country, because thieves rarely steal from their own neighborhood. Some crackheads stole the catalytic converter from the 2003 Odyssey my son's driving, and he lives and works in a super populated area with tons of traffic.

Canbus has been a thing for at least 20 years now in automobiles. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 17, 2023, 07:51:22 PM
Canbus has been a thing for at least 20 years now in automobiles. 

Yes, but most exterior parts like light bulbs didn't give you access to it on most cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 17, 2023, 08:08:08 PM
Yes, but most exterior parts like light bulbs didn't give you access to it on most cars.

The TCU isn't any harder to get to than a catalytic converter

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 18, 2023, 06:13:04 AM
The TCU isn't any harder to get to than a catalytic converter

I suppose not.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator