Drivers are increasingly defacing their plates or using fake plates

Started by Laconian, May 02, 2023, 12:12:22 AM

AutobahnSHO

Good article, but just another symptom of a weird moment in our history?
Will

r0tor

Seems like policing should be done by police and not by camera
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on May 02, 2023, 05:54:30 AMSeems like policing should be done by police and not by camera

All of the police departments are severely underfunded.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 02, 2023, 08:03:20 AMAll of the police departments are severely underfunded.

Or spent a massive amount of money on traffic cameras systems and data mining systems
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

My wife has gotten a handful of traffic violation tickets in Brooklyn on her daily commute.  Good reminder to stick a well placed leaf on a corner of the license plate. A tiny dab of glue should do the trick. 

GoCougs

I have to imagine that getting caught doing this is a serious offense, such as theft (nonpayment of tolls) or identity fraud. All in all, I don't blame WtP for getting fed up with traffic enforcement. WtP see ever worsening driving that matters, yet, WtP get tickets for 72 in a 60 or whatever whilst the legit bad driving goes unpunished 99.99999% of the time.

My solution has been, and will continue to be, just driving however TF I want and letting traffic attorneys handle any citations received. Since I started doing this ~15 years ago, it's has worked fantastically for me (4-0 in defeating citations = ~$0.50/day to drive however TF I want to drive).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on May 02, 2023, 01:51:03 PMI have to imagine that getting caught doing this is a serious offense, such as theft (nonpayment of tolls) or identity fraud. All in all, I don't blame WtP for getting fed up with traffic enforcement. WtP see ever worsening driving that matters, yet, WtP get tickets for 72 in a 60 or whatever whilst the legit bad driving goes unpunished 99.99999% of the time.

My solution has been, and will continue to be, just driving however TF I want and letting traffic attorneys handle any citations received. Since I started doing this ~15 years ago, it's has worked fantastically for me (4-0 in defeating citations = ~$0.50/day to drive however TF I want to drive).

$400 for an attorney is well worth not going to court and having a clean record. I still need to find an attorney to handle the bullshit ticket I got on federal property. Can't find one. All my leads are dead ends.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on May 02, 2023, 01:51:03 PMI have to imagine that getting caught doing this is a serious offense, such as theft (nonpayment of tolls) or identity fraud.

But it's not.
Will

Laconian

Got this off my dashcam. This Infowarrior has an insanely tinted license plate cover and the plate ID itself is something like "BB8B8B8". The side window was festooned with the usual sociopathic stickers you'd expect on an truck like this.

How come this stuff flies? Seems like an easy ticket.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

If I change my user name to:

;SJ_GTI>

I am no longer subject to the rules of CarSPIN and you are not allowed to moderate my posts.

Morris Minor

To enhance surveillance state enforcement goodness it might be feasible to encrypt the VIN & make that available to transponder readers or via RFID. The license plate could be, or at least include, a derived hash of that, & so be tied to the VIN. Any fakery would cause a mismatch and precipitate roadside summary justice.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 04, 2023, 10:05:43 AMTo enhance surveillance state enforcement goodness it might be feasible to encrypt the VIN & make that available to transponder readers or via RFID. The license plate could be, or at least include, a derived hash of that, & so be tied to the VIN. Any fakery would cause a mismatch and precipitate roadside summary justice.

Or we just go back to the good old days where cops pulled people over based off of behavior and then ran the plates... Instead of an automated system scanning everyone's plates and logging/flagging them or automatically sending you a speeding ticket

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 04, 2023, 10:05:43 AMTo enhance surveillance state enforcement goodness it might be feasible to encrypt the VIN & make that available to transponder readers or via RFID. The license plate could be, or at least include, a derived hash of that, & so be tied to the VIN. Any fakery would cause a mismatch and precipitate roadside summary justice.

...running a plate already gives the VIN, make, and model.  If a cop needs help deciding whether this Subaru with a plate registered to an F150 needs to be pulled over and checked out, they should seek other employment.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2023, 11:12:19 AM...running a plate already gives the VIN, make, and model.  If a cop needs help deciding whether this Subaru with a plate registered to an F150 needs to be pulled over and checked out, they should seek other employment.
No, the cop needs help instantly identifying whether the Subaru's plate is a fake duplicate of the Subaru the bad guy copied the plate number from in the grocery store parking lot.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 04, 2023, 07:22:57 AMIf I change my user name to:

;SJ_GTI>

I am no longer subject to the rules of CarSPIN and you are not allowed to moderate my posts.

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Utah legislature told the Utah DMV to offer black plates a few years ago, but there were questions about reflectivity and some conflicting laws with that. They finally cleared that up this year and are offering them now, but the past few years you'd see a black Utah plate every once in a while. Apparently there's a website to make custom plates and people would just copy their real plate number and get a fake black one. Looks cool, but with the risk that a cop will pull you over and either impound the fake plate or, worse case, impound your whole car. I waited until now to get real ones and not risk it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV