In which we learn that water cannot be compressed...

Started by Morris Minor, May 28, 2023, 06:34:09 PM

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on May 28, 2023, 08:28:11 PMThis needs to be some kind of sport

TikTok car-fishing craze leads to closure of ancient Rufford Ford
Council steps in after videos on social media turn Nottinghamshire river crossing into viral tourist attraction
more...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/07/tiktok-car-fishing-craze-leads-to-closure-of-ancient-rufford-ford

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 28, 2023, 06:52:15 PMGood to know that all the Land Rovers made it.
Cars that were marginal if driven carefully were 100% doomed by ploughing through way to fast & being swamped by the bow waves.

FoMoJo

When we got our Discovery Sport, the salesman said we could go through water up to the bottom of the windows.  I really didn't believe him.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

I had a bow wave go over the hood on our JGC once... Made it through fine just like the JGC in the video
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 29, 2023, 05:59:22 AMCars that were marginal if driven carefully were 100% doomed by ploughing through way to fast & being swamped by the bow waves.

I liked this comment on the video - "I love how the only person who didn't have to go slower (with the snorkle) was also the only person that drive through at an appropriate speed."

Quite a few of those cars probably could have made it through had they gone a bit slower.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

These videos are so addictive. Check out "Haulover Inlet" videos for the boating equivalent of that boneheadedness.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2023, 11:02:26 AMThese videos are so addictive. Check out "Haulover Inlet" videos for the boating equivalent of that boneheadedness.

Yup, I've watched that one! Super crazy
Will

Laconian

So all the cars that come to a sudden stop are KIA'd?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2023, 05:35:24 PMSo all the cars that come to a sudden stop are KIA'd?
I think so - hydraulic lock - possibly bending crankpins? The lucky ones may have had the soaked air cleaners choke the engine before too much water got in.  But ruined carpets & sound deadening pads - then a lifetime of mold growth.

There's on in here that jerked to a halt. Guessing that was hydraulic lock.

r0tor

Well, if you are lucky enough the engine stops before it sucks in enough water to start damaging things.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 31, 2023, 07:02:05 AMI think so - hydraulic lock - possibly bending crankpins? The lucky ones may have had the soaked air cleaners choke the engine before too much water got in.  But ruined carpets & sound deadening pads - then a lifetime of mold growth.

There's on in here that jerked to a halt. Guessing that was hydraulic lock.

Usually the connecting rod will be the first to bend, but destruction can happen in amazing ways.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on May 31, 2023, 07:07:34 AMWell, if you are lucky enough the engine stops before it sucks in enough water to start damaging things.

I'm guessing these ALL are really really messed up.

And my wife and I were like, "for what? A little fun is worth destroying your car?"

Or are they legitimately used to using this road to get somewhere?????????????????????????
Will

giant_mtb

Looking at the spot on Google Maps, it's not really much of a shortcut or anything. Some people saw it as such. But also, once it became viral, people were driving to/through there just to see what would happen.

Hence...if you come to a water crossing and there's a crowd of people with cameras rolling...you should probably just turn around and go the long way.

Morris Minor

My guess is the idiots are in a smallish minority... and it's pretty well only their mishaps that make the final edits for YouTube uploads. That's how you monetize.

I did see one smart guy in an A-segment hatch who went through slowly in reverse, keeping the revs up. He earned golf-clap applause from the crowd.

Eye of the Tiger

I think off-roading in basically stock cars (not trucks, not even crossovers) should be a sport, but this was just dumb.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 01, 2023, 07:37:47 AMI think off-roading in basically stock cars (not trucks, not even crossovers) should be a sport, but this was just dumb.

I could win medals in that!
Will

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 01, 2023, 07:37:47 AMI think off-roading in basically stock cars (not trucks, not even crossovers) should be a sport, but this was just dumb.

I always elected to ford the river on Oregon trail.  Not sure what in life stirs up more adrenaline

Soup DeVille

I need to rig up a web cam at the bottom of the hill just to the west of me. It'd only be entertaining when it snows, but it sure would be.

I have little sympathy because there are "road closed" signs put up at either end of a mile section pretty much all winter long.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator