Active Driving Assistance

Started by veeman, June 17, 2023, 06:38:06 AM

veeman

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-safety/active-driving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

Older article but first time came across it.  Consumer Reports voted Ford's Blue Cruise the best.  Tesla deemed unsafe.

I want a Ford Mustang Mach E with Blue Cruise now. 

FoMoJo

Excellent feature..."Both point infrared cameras at driver faces and sound an alert if the driver stops paying attention to the road, even if just for a few seconds. If drivers don't turn their eyes back to the road, the system soon begins to slow the car."
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Using driver monitoring as a criteria for ranking automated driver systems is pretty pointless
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2023, 08:43:50 AMUsing driver monitoring as a criteria for ranking automated driver systems is pretty pointless

Yeah Consumer Reports are a Ralph Nader kind of publication.  Still in their charts for "Capabilities and Performance" they gave it a 9/10 (equivalent to Tesla). 

I like the safety features especially since my wife would be the primary driver (if I get a Mach-E). On Ford's website you can put in your start and end point and it maps out your route and tells you how much of it is Blue Cruise enabled.  For my wife's commute, 65% would be Blue Cruise enabled including all highways.

r0tor

Quote from: veeman on June 17, 2023, 09:21:00 AMYeah Consumer Reports are a Ralph Nader kind of publication.  Still in their charts for "Capabilities and Performance" they gave it a 9/10 (equivalent to Tesla). 

I like the safety features especially since my wife would be the primary driver (if I get a Mach-E). On Ford's website you can put in your start and end point and it maps out your route and tells you how much of it is Blue Cruise enabled.  For my wife's commute, 65% would be Blue Cruise enabled including all highways.

It's enabled providing the driver pays basically the same amount of attention as if they were actually driving - in which case what is the point?  Are humans becoming to weak to operate the steering wheel and pedals or does anyone believe these systems steer and brake as well as a human?  Are these driver monitoring features really a feature at all - or just a glaring omission by the OEM their systems can not be trusted without 100% driver involvement.

The point of these systems should be to reduce driver stress and fatigue by allowing the driver to be in a more relaxed state.  Cruise control would never have become popular if the driver's feet had to remain in contact with the pedals.

Consumer Reports completely missed the entire point of these systems.  Their review should be around what systems provide a safe and reduced stress environment.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on June 17, 2023, 10:08:37 AMIt's enabled providing the driver pays basically the same amount of attention as if they were actually driving - in which case what is the point?  Are humans becoming to weak to operate the steering wheel and pedals or does anyone believe these systems steer and brake as well as a human?  Are these driver monitoring features really a feature at all - or just a glaring omission by the OEM their systems can not be trusted without 100% driver involvement.

The point of these systems should be to reduce driver stress and fatigue by allowing the driver to be in a more relaxed state.  Cruise control would never have become popular if the driver's feet had to remain in contact with the pedals.

Consumer Reports completely missed the entire point of these systems.  Their review should be around what systems provide a safe and reduced stress environment.
I would be a nervous wreck if I had to rely on the car steering itself.  It's really too early in the development of the technology for the driver not to be paying full attention.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

veeman

I dunno.  I've never used one. 

Maybe not intermittently putting your left foot on the throttle/brake and your hands on the steering wheel for stop and go traffic on a highway is more relaxing than having to do that on a daily long work commute. I think it probably would be. 

FoMoJo

What would you be doing with your hands anyways, if not resting them on the steering wheel?

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 17, 2023, 04:03:20 PMWhat would you be doing with your hands anyways, if not resting them on the steering wheel?
Nothing beats having a wank.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 17, 2023, 04:03:20 PMWhat would you be doing with your hands anyways, if not resting them on the steering wheel?

Finger forking your phone of course

FoMoJo

What used  to be nice about driving was that you were isolated from the outside world, just you and the radio.

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 17, 2023, 06:58:50 PMWhat used  to be nice about driving was that you were isolated from the outside world, just you and the radio.
That's what the guy on the Rare & Classic Cars YouTube channel keeps emphasizing. You could waft along say in an early '70s Mercury Grand Marquis in silence & complete isolation - just an AM/FM radio playing of you wanted.

CaminoRacer

Some extended family came over a couple of weeks ago and the kids wanted to check out the Miata and El Camino. I let them sit in the El Camino and they were shocked at the lack of a touchscreen and buttons. I never even thought about that - normally kids are just surprised by crank windows (which of course these kids had not seen before either)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

I sometimes like hoping into my Mazda and not having a screen... But then generally mount my phone somewhere to have a screen, mostly because I am addicted to Waze -sigh-

AutobahnSHO

I drove assisted on the interstate by Kia and Audi. Super loved them.

We ordered adaptive cruise and lane centering in Mav but those options got dropped. $600 in parts and doing work myself to add them, just need to decide when.
Will

MrH

Super Cruise is the real deal.  It was worth the price of admission for sure.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on June 19, 2023, 07:59:48 AMSuper Cruise is the real deal.  It was worth the price of admission for sure.
I bitterly regret not getting the top-trim CX-5. Nothing close to the goodness of Super Cruise but the "Signature" version would have had lane-keeping assist and IIRC 360° surround view that our one lacks. As it is ours just has radar cruise.

Rich

Lane keeping assist sucks horribly on the rentals I've had. Ping pongin

Maybe for the surround view.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on June 22, 2023, 08:06:01 AMLane keeping assist sucks horribly on the rentals I've had. Ping pongin

Maybe for the surround view.

Ford has two levels, one is lane correction, the other is lane centering.

Same hardware I think?!?!!!
Will

r0tor

My Alfa just gives a buzzer when you get out of lane... It's not very good and the feature is turned off permanently as there are many cases where you indeed do need to get out of the lane

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 22, 2023, 05:21:45 AMI bitterly regret not getting the top-trim CX-5. Nothing close to the goodness of Super Cruise but the "Signature" version would have had lane-keeping assist and IIRC 360° surround view that our one lacks. As it is ours just has radar cruise.

If it makes you feel any better, Mazda's system never really impressed me much on the .  Their ACC was fine, but their lane keep assist was nothing to write home about.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

I have steering wheel buzz for lane assist, it's pretty good considering it's only one camera.

I ordered the full package but it didn't get ordered- for $600 in parts and some software adjustments I could add "lane centering & adaptive cruise control" (not authorized by Ford, they would never allow dealer to do install or acknowledge the feature).
Will

giant_mtb

Lane keep assist...I think that's what rumble strips are for. :lol:

Morris Minor