GLS 550

Started by Submariner2, June 20, 2023, 11:41:30 AM

Submariner2

My family is growing by one and with my sis-in-law, niece and nephew and MIL living with us, I needed a larger vehicle to ferry everyone around.  I traded in the ML for this:

You cannot view this attachment.

It's a 2019 GLS 550.  It comes standard with most options, including massage seats, panoramic roof, adaptive suspension, active cruise control, etc.  Great family vehicle, though I've come to realize that with a full compliment of luggage, you have to fold down one of the rear seats, rendering this a 6 passenger vehicle.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

giant_mtb

Morris Minor

My son & DiL have two little kiddies and a third planned. Wondering if this would be a option. They need to comfortably fit three kids seats. In captains chairs.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Submariner2

The new GLS has captain chairs in the 2nd row (mine only came with a 3 seat bench), but the third row only has two seats.  The vehicle is a bit larger in most dimensions so it should offer ample luggage space.

It's a supremely comfortable vehicle, though I'd skip the 21" wheels mine has an opt for 19 or 20"...40 series tires just don't work with Northeast roads.  I'm currently looking into taller tire options because I feel jolts even more so than in the G, with it's incredibly stiff coils and suspension tech out of the 70's (the 70 series tires soak up even large potholes)
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

Submariner

You cannot view this attachment.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Morris Minor

Quote from: Submariner2 on June 21, 2023, 09:52:15 AMThe new GLS has captain chairs in the 2nd row (mine only came with a 3 seat bench), but the third row only has two seats.  The vehicle is a bit larger in most dimensions so it should offer ample luggage space.

It's a supremely comfortable vehicle, though I'd skip the 21" wheels mine has an opt for 19 or 20"...40 series tires just don't work with Northeast roads.  I'm currently looking into taller tire options because I feel jolts even more so than in the G, with it's incredibly stiff coils and suspension tech out of the 70's (the 70 series tires soak up even large potholes)
They are only going to have the  3 X rear-facing seat problem for a shortish time. So they could conceivably buy something like this used & be done with it as soon as the oldest child grow enough to switch to facing forwards. Deeply unfashionable in the enviro-crunchy Bay Area but they don't give a shit about following fads.

Point taken about tires. You pay more on the higher-trim cars to get a worse ride & rims that break in the potholes.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși