Car theft rings

Started by Laconian, September 06, 2023, 03:55:08 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

My cousin in Toronto had his Mercedes SUV stolen from his driveway a year or two ago. He was up late at night working on his computer when he received a signal that someone was on his driveway.  He saw on his computer via a videocam feed that the lights on his car were on.  He called the police and didn't confront the thieve(s).  In < 5 minutes his car was gone. When police arrived they told him his car was unlikely to be found and was probably going to be sold on the black market overseas.   

Rich

These guys must be badass freight forwarders
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

The key fob MITM attack is freaky as heck. If I lived in eastern Canada and parked in my driveway I would put my keyfobs in a Faraday cage ASAP.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 07, 2023, 05:13:44 PMThe key fob MITM attack is freaky as heck. If I lived in eastern Canada and parked in my driveway I would put my keyfobs in a Faraday cage ASAP.

You can get nice little faraday pouches for phones for <$20.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on September 07, 2023, 05:10:45 PMThese guys must be badass freight forwarders

I don't know how any container with a car in it isn't just flagged. Obviously they probably fake the packing list but I thought at least a fraction of all containers were x-rayed. Maybe not in Canada?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 08, 2023, 07:16:02 AMI don't know how any container with a car in it isn't just flagged. Obviously they probably fake the packing list but I thought at least a fraction of all containers were x-rayed. Maybe not in Canada?

If I remember correctly, it's a tiny, tiny fraction.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

The CAN bus attack is the worst.  There is literally nothing you can do except have your car locked in a garage.  Basically any car with a front radar sensor is vulnerable and the hack takes maybe 2 minutes at most. 
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 08, 2023, 07:16:02 AMI don't know how any container with a car in it isn't just flagged. Obviously they probably fake the packing list but I thought at least a fraction of all containers were x-rayed. Maybe not in Canada?
The focus is on incoming containers rather than outgoing containers.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Lax enforcement ("We are all to blame" [wrings hands]) and lazy manufacturers are the perfect storm.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

NHTSA needs to get in the infosec game and mandate the use of security best practices. The agency has been painfully slow to respond over the past several years to big changes and problems in the industry.

Eye of the Tiger

Maybe the NHTSA, DOT, EPA, FMCSA, FAA, FCC, FTC, ATF, and Elon Musk can have a lightsaber battle against the car thieves. Yes, that will fix it.

Rich

Seems like capitalism would take care of it. If people are worried about a car getting stolen they'd want one with features to prevent it. I'm shocked an automaker hasn't capitalized on it
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on September 08, 2023, 07:24:22 PMSeems like capitalism would take care of it. If people are worried about a car getting stolen they'd want one with features to prevent it. I'm shocked an automaker hasn't capitalized on it

My El Camino has so many anti theft devices nowadays. Manual transmission, carburetor, manual door locks and ignition. No cats to steal either.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Nobody can steal TUNDRA because I will shoot them, then go to jail for murder and won't have to worry about paying bills anymore.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 08, 2023, 08:14:57 PMMy El Camino has so many anti theft devices nowadays. Manual transmission, carburetor, manual door locks and ignition. No cats to steal either.
:cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide