I guess this goes in "The Big Guys." New to me RV

Started by ChrisV, September 12, 2023, 01:25:40 PM

ChrisV

Ok, so as many of you know, I've had travel trailers for years, towing with the Range Rover (19 foot hybrid trailer), '94 Chevy 3500 turbo diesel ('27 foot Outback TT) then with the Suburban 2500 8.1 liter (both the outback and then for the last 7 years, my 35' Rockwood TT).

but I've grown disenchanted with travel trailers and the hassles of hooking them up, setting them up, and just the annoyances of towing. the last one I couldn't even store at the house, as it was too long to fit at the house and back into any spot there other than the front yard (not ideal).

So my wife and I started looking at motorhomes, in the '30-34ft range. Holy carp are they expensive now! Wanted to stay under $30k, but be newer than about 2000, as the drivetrains got much better after that. After a lot of looking and seeing that what we wanted was hovering around $40-50k, we found a 2007 Ford chassis Allegro 34' Class A. Advertised for $28,900 at an estate sale in Asbury Park, NJ, it needed a water heater, slide seals, and an awning fabric that we knew of. Tires were only 5 years old, and everything else but one interior light worked. The V10 had only 26k miles on it, and the Onan 5500 generator had low miles, too (ran a bit rich, but I figured I could fix that). Offered $25k and they took it. Put $200 in gas (uses regular, but has a 75 gallon tank!) and headed home. There was a bit of a shake at 45 mph, but that went away at 50 mph and was smooth all the way up to 70mph. Engine was strong, smooth and quiet. Little bit of sway in the corners, but nothing major.

Got it home with no drama, got it inspected with no problems, and ordered the slide seals, a new water heater and awning fabric. Just under a grand for everything and put them all in myself. Already took it out camping twice, once with my grandkids for their first ever camping trip. So easy to drive. and set up at the campsite took about 10 minutes. Just park it, set the parking brake, hit the button for the automatic levelers, slide the rooms out, pl;ug in the electrical cord and water line, extend the awning and done.

Plan is to travel the country when I retire in a couple years, towing the MINI.

Without further ado, meet Big Al:
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

ChrisV

ChrisV

last two travel trailers. Kind of a pain to maneuver around gas stations and campsites, too.

ChrisV

One of the things I did add to it so far is a CarPlay monitor for nav functions and playing my music. Not bad for under $150.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

ChrisV

Yeah, identical ones online had been listed at $45k+. And most rigs under $30k were older and worn out. As this was an estate sale where the last owner had died before getting to use it, they just wanted it gone. I lucked out as others were calling on it while the estate manager was showing it to me.

I was originally looking at Class C rigs as my wife used to drive ambulances and it'd be an easy transition for her, but they are more money than the Class As for anything reasonably decent and new. And the layouts were usually too crowded.

veeman

Congratulations. 

I didn't realize you were a grandfather and near retirement. 

SJ_GTI

FoMoJo

Looks nice.  Are there partitions to close off the sleeping quarters? 

Is that the Triton V10 or diesel?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ChrisV

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 12, 2023, 04:49:41 PMLooks nice.  Are there partitions to close off the sleeping quarters?

Yes, there's a sliding door for the bedroom, and a folding door after the kitchen to close off the bathroom area, too. 

QuoteIs that the Triton V10 or diesel?

Triton V10. Takes regular gas, and there's a tune for it that can add another 75lb ft of torque: https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/

Diesel rigs usually cost $10-20k more than the equivalent gassers to start with, cost a lot more to repair/maintain, and since fuel costs more, but the fuel mileage isn't THAT much better, it just costs more all around to buy/own/drive.

giant_mtb

Very nice.  Definitely something to be said for having one contained unit.  Wake up and drive.  No teardown or hooking up or anything major besides pulling in the slides.

RomanChariot

I can see the benefits of an RV over a camp trailer if I had the time to get out more. For me the downsides of maintaining the drivetrain and replacing more and larger tires on a regular basis keep me from making the jump.

I have the Triton V10 in the F250 that I use to tow my camper. It does a better job than the 454 I had in my Suburban.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 14, 2023, 10:47:19 AMVery nice.  Definitely something to be said for having one contained unit.  Wake up and drive.  No teardown or hooking up or anything major besides pulling in the slides.

He mentioned that he plugs in. A lot of RVs aren't configured for extended periods of "boondocking" and are pretty dependent on hookups. Big water tanks, holding tanks, and battery banks are heavy, expensive, and space consuming.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ChrisV

Quote from: Laconian on September 14, 2023, 11:49:49 AMHe mentioned that he plugs in. A lot of RVs aren't configured for extended periods of "boondocking" and are pretty dependent on hookups. Big water tanks, holding tanks, and battery banks are heavy, expensive, and space consuming.

At campsites I definitely get the electric hookup and at least a water hookup, though I have an already full 75 gallon fresh water tank, so it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary. The generator is pretty quiet and will run a long time (off the main gas tank, so it automatically shuts off when it gets to 1/4 tank as you need to have some gas left to get to a gas station...) so I could boondock overnight or for a couple days without an issue (I've gone a whole 4 day weekend without needing to dump the black and grey tanks). But running it in a campsite around other campers is not cool.

But the big thing is to be a single unit, instead of a trailer, as it so much easier to just pull into a space and hit the auto levelers and slides and be using it almost immediately. Same for  packing up after the weekend.

GoCougs

Good call on the gas V10. Enough to take care of without the added headache and expense of a consumer grade diesel engine (esp. the abysmal Ford 6.0).

ChrisV

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 14, 2023, 11:32:28 AMI can see the benefits of an RV over a camp trailer if I had the time to get out more. For me the downsides of maintaining the drivetrain and replacing more and larger tires on a regular basis keep me from making the jump.

With the trailer you have to maintain the trailer AND the tow rig and trailer tires are more likely to blow out and need replacing. They are cheaper, but it's a case of when, not if they will blow out. I lost all 4 of my stock trailer tires at different points in the ownership. And when they go, it's a real issue.

For me, maintenance on the single unit is lower than the truck/trailer combo.

QuoteI have the Triton V10 in the F250 that I use to tow my camper. It does a better job than the 454 I had in my Suburban.

Yeah, it's a powerhouse. So's the 8.1 in my Suburban, which is used in the GM Workhorse chassis under the same motorhomes. It was a tossup as to which chassis one got under otherwise identical RVs, and I would have taken the 8.1 as well. It just happened that this one, that had the right layout and right price, was a Ford. So smooth, though.

Laconian

Quote from: ChrisV on September 14, 2023, 12:21:26 PMAt campsites I definitely get the electric hookup and at least a water hookup, though I have an already full 75 gallon fresh water tank, so it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary. The generator is pretty quiet and will run a long time (off the main gas tank, so it automatically shuts off when it gets to 1/4 tank as you need to have some gas left to get to a gas station...) so I could boondock overnight or for a couple days without an issue (I've gone a whole 4 day weekend without needing to dump the black and grey tanks). But running it in a campsite around other campers is not cool.

But the big thing is to be a single unit, instead of a trailer, as it so much easier to just pull into a space and hit the auto levelers and slides and be using it almost immediately. Same for  packing up after the weekend.

75 gallons is pretty nice! Do you have flow reducing aerators on your faucet? They make your freshwater tanks last longer and make washing dishes easier on DC water pump pressure levels.

Hats off to you for thinking about your neighboring campers with your generator use. I hope your future neighbors prove to be as considerate. My experience with sailing has taught me that each marginal neighbor you add to a bay exponentially increases the likelihood of genset BS. As soon as one fucking stinkpot fires up their genset, everybody else joins in, and then the whole bay is just rumbling and smoky.

Are you interested in going lithium?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

RomanChariot

Quote from: ChrisV on September 14, 2023, 12:26:47 PMWith the trailer you have to maintain the trailer AND the tow rig and trailer tires are more likely to blow out and need replacing. They are cheaper, but it's a case of when, not if they will blow out. I lost all 4 of my stock trailer tires at different points in the ownership. And when they go, it's a real issue.

For me, maintenance on the single unit is lower than the truck/trailer combo.

Yeah, it's a powerhouse. So's the 8.1 in my Suburban, which is used in the GM Workhorse chassis under the same motorhomes. It was a tossup as to which chassis one got under otherwise identical RVs, and I would have taken the 8.1 as well. It just happened that this one, that had the right layout and right price, was a Ford. So smooth, though.

It really depends on how much you are able to get out camping. I get out on longer camping trips in my trailer 2-3 time a year. The rest of the year I leave it on recreational property that we own so we can spend a night or two.

I have had one tire blow out on my trailer in the 15 years that I have had it and I was lucky that it didn't cause any real issues. I replace my trailer tires once they are 6 years old according to the tire manufacturer's recommendations to reduce the risk of tire problems.

Maintaining the tow rig for me is not really an issue as I have always had a need for either a large SUV or pickup truck. I prefer to get the use out of the drivetrain on a vehicle that I drive regularly rather than one that sits parked 90% of the time.

I don't have any issues with RVs. Someday that might be the better option for me but right now a camp trailer works better for me.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on September 14, 2023, 11:49:49 AMHe mentioned that he plugs in. A lot of RVs aren't configured for extended periods of "boondocking" and are pretty dependent on hookups. Big water tanks, holding tanks, and battery banks are heavy, expensive, and space consuming.

Granted, hookups are a given whether it's a trailer or RV.  But still less overall hassle than towing a trailer.

AutobahnSHO

Awesome!!

This is one of my fantasies for "some day".

I used to look mostly at the class Bs but they're lots more money. Our Maverick can be flat-towed and 'only' weighs 3500lbs so would be a decent toad vehicle (or Miata?!?)
Will

ChrisV

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 14, 2023, 02:54:35 PMIt really depends on how much you are able to get out camping. I get out on longer camping trips in my trailer 2-3 time a year. The rest of the year I leave it on recreational property that we own so we can spend a night or two.

I couldn't store my trailer at home and I didn't have separate recreational property. Big Al fits next to the garage... ;)

QuoteI have had one tire blow out on my trailer in the 15 years that I have had it and I was lucky that it didn't cause any real issues. I replace my trailer tires once they are 6 years old according to the tire manufacturer's recommendations to reduce the risk of tire problems.

I had all 4 blow out in separate incidents over the first 4 years of ownership. The cheap Chinese tires that manufacturers are putting on them from the factory are to blame. I've since found that it's a known situation of when, not if they will blow out. I replaced all mine with American made heavy duty tires specifically designed to avoid the issues that the cheap tires have. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/power-king-towmax-vanguard

RomanChariot

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2023, 08:07:49 AMI couldn't store my trailer at home and I didn't have separate recreational property. Big Al fits next to the garage... ;)

I had all 4 blow out in separate incidents over the first 4 years of ownership. The cheap Chinese tires that manufacturers are putting on them from the factory are to blame. I've since found that it's a known situation of when, not if they will blow out. I replaced all mine with American made heavy duty tires specifically designed to avoid the issues that the cheap tires have. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/power-king-towmax-vanguard

Tires are one thing I don't go cheap on no matter what type of vehicle it is. They are essential for acceleration, braking, handling and comfort. Not a good area to cut corners.

ChrisV

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 15, 2023, 09:38:19 AMTires are one thing I don't go cheap on no matter what type of vehicle it is. They are essential for acceleration, braking, handling and comfort. Not a good area to cut corners.

Yup. Just didn't expect it out of new factory tires on the trailer.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 14, 2023, 02:54:35 PMMaintaining the tow rig for me is not really an issue as I have always had a need for either a large SUV or pickup truck. I prefer to get the use out of the drivetrain on a vehicle that I drive regularly rather than one that sits parked 90% of the time.

I don't have any issues with RVs. Someday that might be the better option for me but right now a camp trailer works better for me.

Definitely makes sense to buy whatever will be used the most. Sitting vehicles are prone to more problems.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

Quote from: ChrisV on September 15, 2023, 09:41:37 AMYup. Just didn't expect it out of new factory tires on the trailer.

Sadly, trailer manufacturers and car manufacturers are both prone to using low quality tires. Most consumers don't know anything about tires or what makes one tire better than another.