EBay liable for billions of dollars of fines for emissions defeat device sales

Started by Laconian, October 10, 2023, 12:01:42 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

It's amazing that the tuners are still in business. Most have caveats that their products can't be used for on-street use - individuals may be next on the EPA hit list. That is why I went APR. They got smacked down by the EPA a while back and now all their stuff is emissions legit AFAIK.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2023, 12:01:42 PMhttps://www.thedrive.com/news/us-sues-ebay-for-allowing-sale-of-more-than-300000-emissions-defeat-devices

Coal rollers beware...

I wonder if the auto start/stop defeat device would be included by the definition?

Auto start/stop (ASS) defeat devices aren't violating any emission laws though?  All cars have a switch or a method of turning it off already.  These just make the switch "latching" typically.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on October 10, 2023, 12:36:01 PMAuto start/stop (ASS) defeat devices aren't violating any emission laws though?  All cars have a switch or a method of turning it off already.  These just make the switch "latching" typically.

It would depend on how the tests are codified. They might require that the vehicle performs at EPA spec by default at vehicle start time.

AutobahnSHO

I didn't have any issues for the 3 days I had an auto start/stop F150. You learn to anticipate and let your foot off the brake earlier and/or let it creep a bit.

But I've seen people complaining all kinds of weird stuff. "I want to be able to get out of the way if someone's going to hit me". "I don't want my starter to wear out". etc...
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 10, 2023, 03:55:51 PMI didn't have any issues for the 3 days I had an auto start/stop F150. You learn to anticipate and let your foot off the brake earlier and/or let it creep a bit.

But I've seen people complaining all kinds of weird stuff. "I want to be able to get out of the way if someone's going to hit me". "I don't want my starter to wear out". etc...

The only time I don't like the start/stop in the BMW is when I'm only going to be sitting still for like 1 second. No point in turning off for that short of time. I like it when I'm stopped at a light for a full 60 seconds, might as well save the gas. The car seems to do fine with A/C with the engine off for a short while.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2023, 01:44:58 PMIt would depend on how the tests are codified. They might require that the vehicle performs at EPA spec by default at vehicle start time.

Sort of right... The laws state the vehicle needs to be tested in the default position on start-up.

So if the car has an "eco mode" but it doesn't default to that, the fuel mileage ratings will not be based on it.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

r0tor

Yea, the Giulia gets clobbered on EPA ratings because of this.  The eco mode limits boost, enabled a coasting mode, and the multiair system does some crazy things where it opens the intake valves twice in one intake stroke to promote better fuel mixing.... All of which increases highway fuel mileage by probably 6-8 mpg over EPA ratings, but goes unseen because the vehicle doesn't default to this mode.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on October 10, 2023, 06:11:53 PMYea, the Giulia gets clobbered on EPA ratings because of this.  The eco mode limits boost, enabled a coasting mode, and the multiair system does some crazy things where it opens the intake valves twice in one intake stroke to promote better fuel mixing.... All of which increases highway fuel mileage by probably 6-8 mpg over EPA ratings, but goes unseen because the vehicle doesn't default to this mode.

My BMW is so slow in eco-mode. I assume it has 0 boost in that mode.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV