Ioniq 5 N - ICE emulation successful?

Started by Laconian, October 10, 2023, 03:05:04 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

IMO it's just a painful reminder of how ridiculously boring EVs are.

Also those drifts looked like a teenager's first attempts.  They things will be punching massive holes in guardrails
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

My EV6 is fun as hell. :huh: It makes as much power as the G37 but the instant sledgehammer intensity of the power is very addictive. And I can do it all day long without worrying about burning too much gas. In fact it is quite remarkable how electric car efficiency barely even suffers when you drive like a prick.

Didn't you share a breathless write-up about how fun the Taycan is to drive?

r0tor

Taycan was fun, but was not even close to a 911 I drove later that day and still haunts my dreams several years later.

I feel like maybe the people who are all giddy about the EV acceleration just never really drove fast cars? I almost feel like this is repeating the age old question of tuner cars vs muscle cars from 20 years ago... acceleration vs weight/handling

After you get over the acceleration, you miss the audible sensations and notice the massive weight which kills actual fun driving.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Not sure if a midsize crossover is ever going to feel light and flickable.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2023, 06:09:35 PMMy EV6 is fun as hell. :huh: It makes as much power as the G37 but the instant sledgehammer intensity of the power is very addictive. And I can do it all day long without worrying about burning too much gas. In fact it is quite remarkable how electric car efficiency barely even suffers when you drive like a prick.

Didn't you share a breathless write-up about how fun the Taycan is to drive?

Yeah, it's the throttle response that makes it so good for daily commuting.  You can drive really quick, and at the end of the day, it's maybe a extra quarter in charging costs that night :lol:

How many mi/kWh are you getting these days?  Mine is not great in the Bolt compared to everyone else, but it seems like it's all due to how much I'm on the highway.  90% of my miles are probably 70-80 mph, but I'm only around 3.6-3.7 mi/kWh typically.  Winter is going to drop that like a rock though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 10, 2023, 09:19:23 PMNot sure if a midsize crossover is ever going to feel light and flickable.

Isn't it trying to be a hatchback though and the skateboard chassis just makes it taller than it should be?

The ground clearance on the regular model is like 6" which is closer to car than SUV.  I would think the N version is lower

Laconian

It's 61" tall. The Ioniq 5 is 63" tall which is a few inches shorter than a RAV4. IMO the EV6's dynamics are more influenced by its long wheelbase than its height. Great for ride quality and stability, not so keen about cornering.

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on October 11, 2023, 07:12:14 AMYeah, it's the throttle response that makes it so good for daily commuting.  You can drive really quick, and at the end of the day, it's maybe a extra quarter in charging costs that night :lol:

How many mi/kWh are you getting these days?  Mine is not great in the Bolt compared to everyone else, but it seems like it's all due to how much I'm on the highway.  90% of my miles are probably 70-80 mph, but I'm only around 3.6-3.7 mi/kWh typically.  Winter is going to drop that like a rock though.

I'm averaging 3.3mi/kWh now with my around-town driving, averaging about 35mph thanks to mucho stoplights.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 11, 2023, 12:45:55 PMIt's 61" tall. The Ioniq 5 is 63" tall which is a few inches shorter than a RAV4. IMO the EV6's dynamics are more influenced by its long wheelbase than its height. Great for ride quality and stability, not so keen about cornering.

That height though is the result of the ridiculously thick skateboard chassis.  You can't make a regular looking car on a skateboard chassis. 

A RAV4 has 8.4" of ground clearance which clearly makes it a crossover SUV thingy.

Interesting.  It's just a gimick but since it's all just software it's a pretty cheap gimick.

Actually I would find it cool if the makers of Gran Turismo or Forza teamed up with a manufacture (prob Nisaan given their prior relationship) to mimick particular iconic vehicles sounds, instrument panels, and power output and delivery.

The car would need a rather good interior sound system and a large digital display, but imagine it copying a screaming V12 with linear power band, then another one for the unique sound of the 787B at Lemans, and another being F1 race car, or the iconic Mclaren F1, etc etc.   Basically a driving simulator like Gran Turismo that is an actual car.

If you have an EV with Plaid levels of acceleration you can at least mimick nearly all street cars and many race cars short of drag racers in terms of acceleration. The handling definitely won't match, but the power levels, power delivery, instrument gauge cluster and "redline" and engine and transmission sound could be a good match.

Basically Gran Turismo but in your car.

Laconian

r0tor

They can simulate your pseudo Italian car going into limp mode as well

AutobahnSHO

Can't wait to see if rumors of a hybrid and/or EV Miata come to pass- and if it will still be "flickable"....
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: 565 on October 12, 2023, 09:38:47 PMInteresting.  It's just a gimick but since it's all just software it's a pretty cheap gimick.

Actually I would find it cool if the makers of Gran Turismo or Forza teamed up with a manufacture (prob Nisaan given their prior relationship) to mimick particular iconic vehicles sounds, instrument panels, and power output and delivery.

The car would need a rather good interior sound system and a large digital display, but imagine it copying a screaming V12 with linear power band, then another one for the unique sound of the 787B at Lemans, and another being F1 race car, or the iconic Mclaren F1, etc etc.   Basically a driving simulator like Gran Turismo that is an actual car.

If you have an EV with Plaid levels of acceleration you can at least mimick nearly all street cars and many race cars short of drag racers in terms of acceleration. The handling definitely won't match, but the power levels, power delivery, instrument gauge cluster and "redline" and engine and transmission sound could be a good match.

No, this would not be cool. Turn the streets into a video game? Wonderful, what could go wrong? It's not like the techie nerds that can afford/buy EVs are actually experienced in high-performance driving or anything.

There's no "restart race" button in real life.

Laconian

And folks who buy overpowered, expensive ICE cars are all racecar drivers. Ok

You're painting with a weirdly broad brush.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 565 on October 12, 2023, 09:38:47 PMInteresting.  It's just a gimick but since it's all just software it's a pretty cheap gimick.

Sounds a lot like "rice."
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Rice-like... though rice is more about all show and no go, or a spoiler on the wrong set of wheels... and this has plenty of go...

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on October 14, 2023, 11:57:41 AMRice-like... though rice is more about all show and no go, or a spoiler on the wrong set of wheels... and this has plenty of go...
Doesn't make it go faster though. ;)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 14, 2023, 02:36:28 PMDoesn't make it go faster though. ;)

Turbocharged BMWs have been using "sonic symposers" for years. Maybe it's more kraut than rice.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on October 14, 2023, 02:38:54 PMTurbocharged BMWs have been using "sonic symposers" for years. Maybe it's more kraut than rice.
Still "Racing Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements."

FoMoJo

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 14, 2023, 02:47:11 PMStill "Racing Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements."
Though maybe it would be RISE "Racing Inspired Sound Enhancements."

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on October 14, 2023, 10:52:59 AMAnd folks who buy overpowered, expensive ICE cars are all racecar drivers. Ok

You're painting with a weirdly broad brush.

Great whataboutism. :rolleyes:  I never claimed that people that buy overpowered ICE cars are experienced drivers either.

giant_mtb

This forum is really taking a turn.  More and more "car enthusiasts" hating ICEs and individual, unique cars. Meanwhile some standard skateboard battery chassis can just pretend to be any car it wants with fake exhaust noises played through terrible OEM speakers and that's amazing!

My lord.

Laconian

I'm not hating ICE cars, but it was a weird slur to say that EV drivers are "techy nerds" who drive poorly. It's true that there are a lot of rich people who buy flashy cars above their skill level and get into trouble, but that has no bearing on the drivetrain...

r0tor

This is pretty much a sequel to quartz digital watches killing off the mechanical watch industry.  Take an industry that has thrived for a hundred years on innovation, craftsmanship, and emotion and turn it into a $5 lcd display which after a few decades will be killed off as being boring and useless....

...and then slapping some Omega watch face on your crapple watch to try and make it seem cool.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on October 11, 2023, 07:12:14 AMHow many mi/kWh are you getting these days?  Mine is not great in the Bolt compared to everyone else, but it seems like it's all due to how much I'm on the highway.  90% of my miles are probably 70-80 mph, but I'm only around 3.6-3.7 mi/kWh typically.  Winter is going to drop that like a rock though.

Same. I think everyone getting 4+ all the time only drive around town or 60 mph on the highway.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on October 15, 2023, 07:30:22 PMThis is pretty much a sequel to quartz digital watches killing off the mechanical watch industry.  Take an industry that has thrived for a hundred years on innovation, craftsmanship, and emotion and turn it into a $5 lcd display which after a few decades will be killed off as being boring and useless....

...and then slapping some Omega watch face on your crapple watch to try and make it seem cool.

Well watches are better than ever so I'm not sure that's a good argument against them
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 15, 2023, 10:30:18 PMWell watches are better than ever so I'm not sure that's a good argument against them

Only because primarily they evolved to become extra screens for your phone and health trackers.

The traditional watch industry is on a bit of an upswing over the last decade as some people are looking back and wanting things that are real again, which is a detriment to the EV movement

r0tor

Thinking about this, maybe the tipping point for EVs are when they become rolling Netflix theatres and mobile offices.