Autonomous driving taking some hits

Started by Laconian, November 04, 2023, 11:40:25 AM

Laconian

https://archive.ph/A6WIZ

An article in which we learn that Cruise's safety stats are pretty dismal - an intervention every 2.5 to 5 miles.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

ChrisV

Good. I'm an EV fan but I'm tired of EVs and AVs getting conflated. And I'm tired of programmers thinking driving is easy enough that they can program for enough different scenarios that fledgling AI can figure out the rest. Just arrogance.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Morris Minor

My guess is that GM will shut it down. Vogt got it to 80%, declared "good enough" and made the remote humans a permanent feature. All the while declaring it was Level 4.

Laconian

GoCougs

Hmmm. 10 years a it's still dangerous AF. Shocking to hear GM's owned the place for almost 8 years.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on November 19, 2023, 09:57:57 PMHmmm. 10 years a it's still dangerous AF. Shocking to hear GM's owned the place for almost 8 years.

Very much better than many many many human drivers.....
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 19, 2023, 09:57:57 PMHmmm. 10 years a it's still dangerous AF. Shocking to hear GM's owned the place for almost 8 years.
GM has incinerated a lot of cash in this: cash that it can ill-afford. My guess is GM will exit & close operations.

The shortage of autonomous systems engineering talent has been frustrating for job interviewers... very difficult to noodle out the tiny number of good 'uns from the pile of dross. Maybe there's some ex-Cruise talent that can now be usefully employed.

Laconian

https://streamable.com/zh7mni

Waymo vs Tesla FSD.

The Tesla blows through a stop sign at speed and nearly clips parked cars on multiple occasions.

I think the most impressive thing about this clip is the cognitive dissonance. It's really funny!

r0tor

BMW is offering level 3 driving in the fatherland in the 7 series on certain roads up to 37mph... Also allows to watch TV on the infotainment
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 22, 2023, 11:29:52 AMhttps://streamable.com/zh7mni

Waymo vs Tesla FSD.

The Tesla blows through a stop sign at speed and nearly clips parked cars on multiple occasions.

I think the most impressive thing about this clip is the cognitive dissonance. It's really funny!

I just don't understand why people think good mapping would not HELP the "really good AI". For example- that stop sign IS ON GOOGLE MAPS and the car would know to stop. Combine the two and it would help so so so much....

Dumb.
Will

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 23, 2023, 04:00:18 PMI just don't understand why people think good mapping would not HELP the "really good AI". For example- that stop sign IS ON GOOGLE MAPS and the car would know to stop. Combine the two and it would help so so so much....

Dumb.

because as soon as something like road work o construction happens - the map is now screwed.

the concept is also completely not able to be scaled in any way as waymo is displaying.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Road work is never done on a whim, gubment and users could send an update immediately.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 24, 2023, 03:41:54 PMRoad work is never done on a whim, gubment and users could send an update immediately.

lol do you live where major roadworks are a common semi-annual occurance? That would be a nightmare beyond what it already is.

Sucks enough already that the road commissions do nothing but lay cheap ass asphalt instead of properly paving with concrete...you think they're gonna keep tabs on updating every stop sign and merge lane? :wtf:

Eye of the Tiger

How does AI deal with traffic circles when most people can't even figure them out?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 25, 2023, 05:59:12 AMHow does AI deal with traffic circles when most people can't even figure them out?
Supposedly it gets shown tens of thousands of examples of real-world roundabout situations where they actually ARE negotiated correctly. The results are pumped out to the inference computers in the cars.

What I want to know is how it deals with exceptions, like lane markings that are wrong, or a pedestrian rhat's been knocked into its path by the car alongside it.

Laconian

The long tail is very long and very deadly.

In all the Cruise brouhaha it came up that NHTSA's incident reporting form had some fatal flaws that prevented laypeople from submitting complaints. So we don't really even have data showing that these systems are actually safe.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 25, 2023, 05:56:43 AMlol do you live where major roadworks are a common semi-annual occurance? That would be a nightmare beyond what it already is.

Sucks enough already that the road commissions do nothing but lay cheap ass asphalt instead of properly paving with concrete...you think they're gonna keep tabs on updating every stop sign and merge lane? :wtf:

No, major roadwork on the interstate right next to home has been changing lanes and exit design practically weekly. But they announce changes in the media, it's not just random.

Even if a crew is going out to fill a pothole today, easy enough for a database to get updated on the fly.

But that all misses the point.

In the video example the car blew through a stop sign because it couldn't see it well. Those don't change. They're on the maps already.

Best of all worlds is a baseline of map and signs, which the AI can use to know what is expected but make decisions on what cameras and radar see.
Will