Volvo EX30

Started by MrH, November 06, 2023, 12:59:54 PM

MrH

Volvo EX30 reviews are out.  Really interesting.  Most actually prefer the RWD one instead of the stupid fast AWD variant?

Seems to be getting universal praise (except from Autocar which gave it 2.5/5 stars because the infotainment was so infuriating :lol:).  Tons of car for the money.  I think it's probably out for me though. The rear seats look too tiny to be useful.  Likely would not be able to fit a rear facing car seat.

I'll probably insult some local dealers with low ball Lightning offers, and if none of those hit, the Bolt soldiers on until further EV market implosion.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Yeah I've read a couple of the EX30 reviews. I don't think I would like the buttonless interior either so I can understand some of the criticism there. That being said its probably the closest EV to my tastes so far. Still not sure I would buy it though.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 06, 2023, 01:03:37 PMYeah I've read a couple of the EX30 reviews. I don't think I would like the buttonless interior either so I can understand some of the criticism there. That being said its probably the closest EV to my tastes so far. Still not sure I would buy it though.

I watched some deep dives on the infotainment system.  I actually really like it.  In terms of buttonless interiors, I think the system is pretty well thought out.  It's just not a very usable size.  It's interesting, the AWD version has the front motor turned off all the time unless you're in sport mode.  If you jab the throttle really hard or it detects slip, it'll engage the front motor, but there's a slight delay.

I think we're already past the point where even base EVs are plenty fast for daily driving.  That's how I feel with the Bolt honestly.  It's fine for daily commuting, and it's probably the slowest EV sold now.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Yeah I caught that as well, also seemed several reviewers thought the RWD model was more fun.

I have been spoiled with AWD on my last few cars though. I love driving my Z3 when it is sunny and dry, but even the cheap haldex AWD on the Golf is really nice in the rain or snow. Makes taking off with speed effortless.

Laconian

It's pretty intriguing. I wonder if the seats are up to Volvo standards? I don't like the iPad dash look but the car is cheap enough that cost control feels acceptable here.

I am very excited about the prospect of a small LFP pack EV being available in the US. You can charge the pack to 100% and discharge it far more deeply than NMC.

NMC has a sweet spot of 20-80% (60% useful). Anything out of the range will degrade the battery.
LFP has a sweet spot of 10-100% (90% useful)

Therefore the smaller 51kWh pack is a lot more useful than the capacity suggests. And 217mi, which is most likely a USEFUL range, not a "you can do it but you're going to hurt the car" figure, can satisfy the vast majority of driving needs for the vast majority of people.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Americans who live in climates where it snows in the winter won't buy RWD SUVs.  Dealers won't even stock them. 

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on November 06, 2023, 12:59:54 PMVolvo EX30 reviews are out.  Really interesting.  Most actually prefer the RWD one instead of the stupid fast AWD variant?

Seems to be getting universal praise (except from Autocar which gave it 2.5/5 stars because the infotainment was so infuriating :lol:).  Tons of car for the money.  I think it's probably out for me though. The rear seats look too tiny to be useful.  Likely would not be able to fit a rear facing car seat.

I'll probably insult some local dealers with low ball Lightning offers, and if none of those hit, the Bolt soldiers on until further EV market implosion.
A rear-facing kiddie seat can be a challenge to accommodate in many cars. What you think is a spacious interior turns out to require the front seats to be scooted forwards. Two kiddie seats can be really tight side-by-side. If you want three... your choices are minivan or Tahoe.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 06, 2023, 03:11:33 PMA rear-facing kiddie seat can be a challenge to accommodate in many cars. What you think is a spacious interior turns out to require the front seats to be scooted forwards. Two kiddie seats can be really tight side-by-side. If you want three... your choices are minivan or Tahoe.

Yeah, they're huge!  How do the Europeans do it?  I'm guessing they have different child seat standards and much thinner seats?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on November 06, 2023, 03:10:10 PMAmericans who live in climates where it snows in the winter won't buy RWD SUVs.  Dealers won't even stock them. 

Facts.

Laconian

Unthusiasts! 268hp to the rear wheels. That's a recipe for FUN.

268hp to the front wheels? CATASTROPHIC UNDERSTEER

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on November 06, 2023, 03:20:19 PMYeah, they're huge!  How do the Europeans do it?  I'm guessing they have different child seat standards and much thinner seats?
I don't know, a quick skim looks like the laws are similar to here. I'm guessing parents have to aqueeze in against the steering wheel.

https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Drive-Smart-Blog/Child-Car-Seat-Laws-Europe.aspx

MrH

Do they have some super slim baby seats in Europe?

Or Europeans just have a greater tolerance for being miserable than the US? :lol:  It sounds like that's the more likely answer.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on November 06, 2023, 06:07:14 PMUnthusiasts! 268hp to the rear wheels. That's a recipe for FUN.

In a 4,000 lbs automobile... Not exactly enthusiast
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Y'all don't realize how few yurpeeans drive compared to here.

Plus they have smaller families- continent is much more crowded!   I'm generalizing of course!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 06, 2023, 06:07:14 PMUnthusiasts! 268hp to the rear wheels. That's a recipe for FUN.

:lol: :thumbsup:
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 07, 2023, 11:05:50 AMY'all don't realize how few yurpeeans drive compared to here.

Plus they have smaller families- continent is much more crowded!  I'm generalizing of course!
My son & DiL have two kids (2½y & 7mo.) & plan a third. This considerably narrows the  choices when choosing cars.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 07, 2023, 01:39:49 PMMy son & DiL have two kids (2½y & 7mo.) & plan a third. This considerably narrows the  choices when choosing cars.

My Mormon friend's family had a Ford E-350 that could practically fit a tour group. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 07, 2023, 01:45:42 PMMy Mormon friend's family had a Ford E-350 that could practically fit a tour group. :lol:

There's almost always one of those parked at our church- SC, NY, VA, whenever... :thumbsup:
Will