Rivian OTA bricks infotainment thanks to security cert error

Started by Laconian, November 14, 2023, 10:34:33 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

The ability for Elon to smoke some  :rastaman: and brick my car with a similar update was one reason I didn't get a Tesla this year
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 14, 2023, 10:46:38 PMThe ability for Elon to smoke some  :rastaman: and brick my car with a similar update was one reason I didn't get a Tesla this year

It's sad that cars are slowly but surely becoming IOT devices. It's a good portion of why I hate EVs (living in a cold climate where batteries are useless is a different story, but).

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 14, 2023, 11:30:21 PMIt's sad that cars are slowly but surely becoming IOT devices. It's a good portion of why I hate EVs (living in a cold climate where batteries are useless is a different story, but).

I think this is more of an indictment of modern high-end cars and the maturity of testing practices than it is about the drivetrain.

I predict that more manufacturers will get OTA fever and then we'll have remote bricking of ICE cars by VW, BMW, etc.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on November 15, 2023, 10:25:01 AMI think this is more of an indictment of modern high-end cars and the maturity of testing practices than it is about the drivetrain.

No, it isn't. Batteries hate the cold. You can't un-physics that.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 15, 2023, 10:32:12 AMNo, it isn't. Batteries hate the cold. You can't un-physics that.

A car can phone home and apply updates on an AGM battery pack, no problem. I would be shocked if the German cars didn't let you remote start and turn on heating with an app already.

r0tor

I'm rather happy none of my cars have an outside connection.  I don't need shit OTA'd and don't want it either
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 15, 2023, 11:22:09 AMA car can phone home and apply updates on an AGM battery pack, no problem. I would be shocked if the German cars didn't let you remote start and turn on heating with an app already.

Maverick has remote start from phone app. It sets the A/C or heater to whatever it was set at last (auto climate) or "70deg" for the lower trims.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on November 15, 2023, 11:22:09 AMA car can phone home and apply updates on an AGM battery pack, no problem. I would be shocked if the German cars didn't let you remote start and turn on heating with an app already.

Ahhh, so "green" vehicles need to use extra energy simply to be viable. Which requires an app. And some sort of IOT update. 🤮

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 15, 2023, 12:46:56 PMAhhh, so "green" vehicles need to use extra energy simply to be viable. Which requires an app. And some sort of IOT update. 🤮

You might be shocked at how many beeps and whirs my BMW makes when it's "off".
It gets updates just like an EV. Apps aren't an EV vs. ICE thing, it's more new/luxury vs. old.

I don't use the Chevy app for our Bolt EV since it's kinda garbage and needs a subscription for most features. But I use the BMW app for my gas-powered 3 series. (it's free right now but I might have to pay in a year or two, IDK that I will)

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 15, 2023, 12:54:50 PMBut I use the BMW app for my gas-powered 3 series. (it's free right now but I might have to pay in a year or two, IDK that I will)

For what?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 15, 2023, 12:57:45 PMFor what?

Remote lock/unlock, remote start, and one time I used the GPS parking location at the airport because I didn't pay attention to which shuttle bus station I parked near.

It can also show the fuel level, range, and odometer

Morris Minor

The CX-5 has that stuff, an app that does remote start, GPS location, oli level, TPMS etc. It's clunky garbage & we never use it.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși