Subscription service creep

Started by Laconian, November 16, 2023, 12:11:52 PM

Laconian

There is an annoying trend that is segment agnostic: charging recurring fees for basic car features.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

veeman

I hate it but am used to it now.  I have XM radio on two of my cars because I'm lazy and don't have any music playlists downloaded on my phone. 

It's a misleading heading though.  It's not for wipers.  It's for heated wipers. Making wipers subscription based wouldn't pass govt regulatory bodies. 

RomanChariot

I can see there being a fee for something like XM radio because you are tapping into a feed from outside your vehicle. For heated seats and heated wipers they have already charged you for all of that hardware and now want to charge you to use it. Maybe in the future the car manufacturers will charge you a fee every time you want to drive your car.

Morris Minor

"Dad, did you remember to renew the airbag subscription on Mom's BMW?"
"Oh shit no, why?"
"She's dead."
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 16, 2023, 02:39:54 PMI can see there being a fee for something like XM radio because you are tapping into a feed from outside your vehicle. For heated seats and heated wipers they have already charged you for all of that hardware and now want to charge you to use it. Maybe in the future the car manufacturers will charge you a fee every time you want to drive your car.

Maybe economy cars will become like RyanAir flights.

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 16, 2023, 03:27:17 PM"Dad, did you remember to renew the airbag subscription on Mom's BMW?"
"Oh shit no, why?"
"She's dead."

:)

Raza

In the future, you won't need a key to get into your car, you'll just have to swipe your credit card.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner2

Quote from: Laconian on November 16, 2023, 12:11:52 PMThere is an annoying trend that is segment agnostic: charging recurring fees for basic car features.

Should be 100% illegal.  This subscription bullshit is appalling.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550