Ebikes saving 4x as much oil consumption as all EV cars

Started by Laconian, November 17, 2023, 11:07:50 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

In the U.S. an e-bike being used on a busy public road shared with cars, SUVs, pickups, buses, and commercial trucks is probably not a great idea.

If we had e-bike only lanes, that would be cool.

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on November 17, 2023, 02:31:39 PMIn the U.S. an e-bike being used on a busy public road shared with cars, SUVs, pickups, buses, and commercial trucks is probably not a great idea.

If we had e-bike only lanes, that would be cool.

I've read a number of cases where voting Boomers have discovered the joys of ebikes and are now agitating for better bike infrastructure.

I agree that we need better infrastructure to deal with ebikes, especially regulation. They are transformational tools with incredible potential that can be squandered or injurious if used poorly.

Another thing about EVs is that they can be owned in addition to cars. A household in a dense area that only has the space and resources for only one car will probably have an ICE car (an EV would be too many tradeoffs), but that same household could have an ebike in addition to that ICE car for nearby errands with very little sacrificed.

veeman

In NYC I see them everywhere.  Usually being ridden by young males with little regard for traffic signs and right of way.

In the very sleepy burbs where I live, I don't see any. I don't see any high school juniors and seniors taking them to school either.

I wouldn't let my kid take one to school without a dedicated e-bike lane. They'd be in a school drop off line with a Chevy Suburban behind them and a Ford Bronco in front of them. E-bikes are much lower to the ground than a real motorcycle too. 

In theory it's a great idea.   

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on November 17, 2023, 04:36:25 PMIn NYC I see them everywhere.  Usually being ridden by young males with little regard for traffic signs and right of way.

I mostly see them being ridden by old people who apparently haven't ridden a bike in 40 years and exhibit that same behavior.

Morris Minor

Traffic sign and right of way laws don't apply to cyclists. 
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on November 17, 2023, 03:38:31 PMI've read a number of cases where voting Boomers have discovered the joys of ebikes and are now agitating for better bike infrastructure.

I agree that we need better infrastructure to deal with ebikes, especially regulation. They are transformational tools with incredible potential that can be squandered or injurious if used poorly.

Another thing about EVs is that they can be owned in addition to cars. A household in a dense area that only has the space and resources for only one car will probably have an ICE car (an EV would be too many tradeoffs), but that same household could have an ebike in addition to that ICE car for nearby errands with very little sacrificed.

Towns like Provo are fantastic for ebikes. But so many places in the US are not even close to being good for bike transportation, even with bike lanes. Having the right amount of density is the key IMO.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 18, 2023, 11:57:40 AMTraffic sign and right of way laws don't apply to cyclists.

:(

This is the problem though- people don't think of them as vehicles and have no clue what the laws are

In 1997 I got chewed out by a cop for following the laws on my bike in traffic. Logan, UT where there are enough college kids and bikes he should have known better.
Will

Laconian

A lot of these problems can and do change with the right incentives. The adoption curve tipping point is only like 15-20% of the population.

Get enough people to think "hey, this is kind of neat for taking my kid to work or going to the store" - boom, we'll have a bike lane paradise.