Next Car(s)?

Started by Rich, November 19, 2023, 10:26:45 AM

Rich

I won't be buying a new car anytime soon, but with where I live, I'm struggling to figure out what type of car(s) I want next, let alone which car I'd like to buy.  The budget could be as much as $45k, but I really don't feel like spending that much.

The weather isn't conducive to convertibles.

There is always someone in front of you
-Power is useless
-Handling doesn't matter
-Radar cruise control is relaxing

There are a lot of stoplights.
-Manual transmissions turn into work.

The roads are crap.
-Sidewalls are good
-Suspension travel is good
-A strong structure is desirable

There is salt on the roads in winter
-Can't keep a car rust-free
-Must start with a new or southern car to avoid rust

Much of the year is dark
-Need great headlights

Most of driving is done on interstates
-Good highway mileage

Me:
I am the best transmission computer
A clutch drains me in stop-and-go traffic
I want quiet when cruising
I want a car that downshifts immediately
I want a comfortable ride
I want a solid structure/tin top
I want more vertical-like pillars
I want good steering feel
I want an easily maneuverable car
I want great headlights
I want heat on my feet
I want a fun color
I want a seat thigh extender
I want some semblance of reliability
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Ford Maverick is your answer. 😎
Will

Laconian

Used X5 or something along those lines?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

You want comfortable, don't care about speed or handling, and you want it to have headlights.

Sounds like you want an Accord.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

A car with decent/good adaptive cruise control is awesome for stop and go traffic on highways. Maybe new Honda Accord or Toyota Crown.  Maybe used certified Cadillac CTS.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on November 19, 2023, 12:52:56 PMYou want comfortable, don't care about speed or handling, and you want it to have headlights.

Sounds like you want an Accord.

Yeah.  Also Toyota Crown which you don't see a lot of.

GoCougs

Easy: Audi product. Probably the B9/9.5 (2017+) A4 Avant (wagon). Prestige model will have all the goodies, esp. the upgraded headlights. Bright blue w/brown interior is a great color combo. Get APR stage 1 tune and you're more than golden.

Laconian

Accord is a good pick. Comfortable, reliable, awesome residuals. And a trunk means a quieter and more comfortable ride.

CaminoRacer

I bought my 330i for many of the same reasons, although the roads around here are faster so that's why a German was nice for the autobahn chops.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

If I had to replace my Miata I'd probably go with a Civic Touring sedan.

MrH

God damn this forum is getting old :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on November 19, 2023, 03:26:15 PMGod damn this forum is getting old :lol:

I really wanted to suggest a Chrysler Aspen because the seating position would be better for his arthritic hips..

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 19, 2023, 03:33:05 PMIoniq 6?

Could be a good pick.. going EV is a weird commitment though

AutobahnSHO

So Maverick isn't the very most comfortable but honestly it's really good and in top trim can check ALL the boxes (radar cruise with lane guidance). Wife and I both LOVE how it's absolutely perfect step in height and feels just a bit firmer in ride but just as 90% as comfortable as Odyssey...

Hybrid we're still AVERAGING 41mpg. It "only" gets about 37-38mpg highway (75mph).... It literally doesn't have any gear-changing lag, smash the gas and it just goes.  The Turbo can be equipped with AWD but has traditional 8spd Auto transmission. (And also tows up to 4k lbs vs. only 2000 in the hybrid).

Don't underestimate the wonderfulness of having a commuter car with good gas mileage that can also do trucky stuff!
:)
Will

Rich

I appreciate all the input.  I don't really need a truck and would want something more compact than a Maverick/Accord. 

It could go a few ways. Since a fun car wouldn't be driven much at all, I could go super impractical, and get more of a project car, and keep the Subaru for a bit longer.  Having a car that I don't have to worry about dings and chips is almost a luxury in itself, but I do miss having something nice to detail and enjoying it everyday.

The only thing holding the Subaru back from being a great DD is the transmission logic and rust. 

Thoughts I've had are to

1) Sell both and get a new civic/Mazda 3/Cooper. (maybe regret not having a fun car)
2) Sell Miata for C5/Mustang/old muscle car/old car and keep the subaru (maybe regret not spending the $$ on the DD)
3) Sell both and get a BMW 2-3/IS/C/A4 (and regret spending the $$)

Timing would be a few more years out, so I'm sure things will change by then.  It's just been a struggle to figure out what the ideal car situation would be.

The Miata would be great If I lived somewhere with less traffic and better roads.  It could use a little more power to keep up with tire technology.  I have all seasons that seem to stick better than the stock tires Miatas came with back in the day.  Almost no chance of slideways fun anymore as tire tech marches on with the hp it has.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on November 19, 2023, 03:26:15 PMGod damn this forum is getting old :lol:

The headlight comment for sure ;).

TBH, it was a major factor for me as well. Some cars just have lousy headlights, and there's no reason or excuse for it, esp. with our crumbling infrastructure (cheap asphalt (black) roads, not painting the lines, many/most streetlights not working (or turned off)).

MrH

Honestly, a Bolt could be a good fit here if you're got a garage and can get a 240 volt outlet installed.

The lack of a transmission and the throttle response + one-pedal driving feels a lot better for daily driving.  It's kind of like a non-stallable, torquey manual transmission, stuck in a single gear :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Definitely eying electric but won't have a garage for some years. And charging outside is a no-go with ice and snow.

MrH

I have swung both directions in terms of where to spend money - pricey daily + cheap fun car, and vice versa.

It's definitely better to spend more on the daily and have a cheaper fun car.  If you have a comfortable daily, you can go more extreme on the weekend car too.  I would love to sell the BRZ and get something like a Morgan 3 wheeler, but they are $60k new.  If I had the room and time, even an exocet would be cool.

I would keep the Miata.  Sell the Impreza and get maybe a new Subaru Crosstrek as a daily.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on November 20, 2023, 07:50:23 AMI would keep the Miata.  Sell the Impreza and get maybe a new Subaru Crosstrek as a daily.

This makes sense, if you (Rich) are looking for something small. The AWD is fantastic up there!

It's funny that you ended up with Impreza because of me getting (your) Miata, and for whatever reason the seat angles somehow irritated my lower back so much. Combined with going to Kuwait for a year, I was looking for "Next Car" for awhile.   :mrcool:
Will

Morris Minor

The fancy LED headlights were a big selling point with the CX-5. You need all the help you can get on unlit roads.

The best sitting-in-traffic car I had was the Prius. A near-perfect zero-engagement appliance.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 20, 2023, 09:47:18 AMThe fancy LED headlights were a big selling point with the CX-5. You need all the help you can get on unlit roads.

I rarely have to turn on the high beams anymore. Modern low beams are as bright as 90's car high beams.

SJ_GTI

You should buy MrH's Bolt.

Rich

Only if he keeps the Subaru in the family too

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 20, 2023, 10:43:27 AMYou should buy MrH's Bolt.

You're just trying to stop yourself from buying it.

Quote from: Rich on November 20, 2023, 10:50:37 AMOnly if he keeps the Subaru in the family too

The BRZ stays
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 20, 2023, 09:55:49 AMI rarely have to turn on the high beams anymore. Modern low beams are as bright as 90's car high beams.

Yup, so very nice. PLUS the "auto" setting on Mav turns on high beams whenever it's dark enough and turns them off when cars appear (tail lights OR headlights). It's just some extra LEDs so its' QUICK to go on or off..
Will

Submariner2

Quote from: GoCougs on November 19, 2023, 09:48:43 PMThe headlight comment for sure ;).

TBH, it was a major factor for me as well. Some cars just have lousy headlights, and there's no reason or excuse for it, esp. with our crumbling infrastructure (cheap asphalt (black) roads, not painting the lines, many/most streetlights not working (or turned off)).

I've spent a lot of time upgrading the lights on my G for this very reason - stock Xenon's are mediocre, upgraded Xenons are only okay.  Replaced all the incandescent bulbs with LED's and fitted some seriously bright pod lights to the front.  Traveling on regular roads is bad enough - but many roads in the northeast are completely unlit for tens of miles at a time.  Add into that inclement weather and good lighting is a damn necessity.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

Submariner2

Given your need for rust prevention, I'd either go with an aluminum F150 (if you want to deal with an unreliable POS) or invest some time and money into a serious oil undercoating.  I've done it myself and it isn't that difficult, though it is time consuming and a bit messy.

Consider investing in some pod lights for the front and LED replacement bulbs for the rear (or if you get a car with LED tail lights, a small set of rear facing lights).  You can get some intensely bright pods and bars from companies like VisionX, but there are actually plenty of good, cheap alternatives on Amazon and the like.  Makes a world of difference on poorly lit roads.

If it's sidewall you want, then I'd avoid another Subaru unless you plan on getting 15" wheels.  Seems like the wheel wells on newer models are rather small (or maybe the bodies are becoming more and more bloated). An SUV with wheel wells that widen towards the bottom will allow you to fit bigger tires.  For what it's worth, I have 285 70R18 LT's on my G (wish I went with 75's but oh well).  Relative to the stock 265 60R18 all seasons they ride more smoothly, are quieter and handle potholes way better.  Fuel economy has taken a hit though.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

Rich

I thought about it some more, and I think I'll wait to replace the Subaru for a couple of years.   An electric car with a heat pump, and maybe some better battery tech.  I'm just done with transmissions for a DD.

I might replace the Miata sooner with something that's a tin top.  Maybe an 06-09 Mustang GT... Something that sounds great, looks good, and isn't loaded with touchscreens.