RIDE THE LIGHTNING!

Started by MrH, November 20, 2023, 08:06:49 AM

r0tor

Price will probably fall another 10-20% by this time next year as I assume at some point they switch to cheaper batteries and have to move volume due to scaling up production.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on November 20, 2023, 10:16:40 AMTruck pricing is wild though.  6 months ago, these were going for over MSRP at a lot of dealers.  This is how far pricing has fallen since then.

MSRP + Destination this summer: $87,869

-$8500 MSRP reduction in July
-$7500 EV credit (eligible due to the MSRP drop)
-$7500 Ford cash credit to move remaining 2023 models
-$7500 dealer discount

That's $31k off from the summer.  Puts me right around $57k for a fully loaded, extended range Lariat trim.  I was trying to get a less loaded trim, but this is by far the best deal out there.

For comparison, an ecoboost Lariat with similar options goes for around $72k according to TrueCar.  $15k delta between EV and ICE is hard for me to understand.

I was going to try and get the Flash trim, which has cloth seats, no sunroof, etc in 2024 so I could get the new heat pump, but it would be at least $10k more than this.  I'll take the range hit in the winter and all the extra luxury options for that kind of savings.

Congratulations, sounds like a good deal.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on November 21, 2023, 10:48:19 PMWTAF

$57k?!

I paid more for my EV6 :facepalm:

Isn't this a MY2023 vehicle purchased right at the end of the year? TBH, it should be heavily discounted (the extend of almost a year's worth of depreciation).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on November 22, 2023, 07:15:36 AMThe best part is: the exact configured truck sold used for $100k+ 14 months ago

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/36NPOyzA/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-lariat

Nice.

It's a wild market out there! I could sell my truck for more than we paid.  :nutty:
Will

MrH

Sweatin' bullets over here.  I've been tracking the truck.  It's alive, they're doing the spray in bedliner now. It should mark as "Built" early next week I think.  Should get it in the last two weeks of December most likely.  Pretty critical I take delivery this year for tax purposes.

While this is all going on, the deal we worked out includes $7500 cash rebate from Ford that was set to expire 1/2/2024.

Ford just ended it over night.  I'm guessing the rebate drove way more demand than they anticipated.  Cybertruck pricing was a flop, and it gave them one month of sales numbers that looked killer, so they just ended it prematurely.  Tons of trucks are in transit with deals already negotiated.  Someone reported that their dealer had to eat the $7500 difference themselves.  Others are saying their deal is off completely.

I haven't talked to my sales guy yet.  Figured my best chance was to just play dumb and see if he brings it up at closing and force them to eat it when it happens and walk away from the deal if he doesn't.  I was scrolling through our email chain that we used to negotiate the whole deal.  He says explicitly that placing a deposit locks in the factory Ford incentive at the time.

So I think I'm safe...?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

I kind of did the same thing- we had a "private offer" ($2750) to keep '22 pricing but we took a $500 military discount then tackled that PO after we drive home (it was promised by Ford, not an optional thing). I played dumb that it was a rebate.

Worked in our favor, technically they should have only given us one or the other or deduct the little one from the big one.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on December 06, 2023, 02:05:43 PMSweatin' bullets over here.  I've been tracking the truck.  It's alive, they're doing the spray in bedliner now. It should mark as "Built" early next week I think.  Should get it in the last two weeks of December most likely.  Pretty critical I take delivery this year for tax purposes.

Wait, didn't you already get the Bolt with the tax credit this year?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 06, 2023, 06:21:49 PMWait, didn't you already get the Bolt with the tax credit this year?

:muffin:

Don't hate the playa, hate the game :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on December 06, 2023, 08:11:40 PM:muffin:

Don't hate the playa, hate the game :lol:

I thought you could only get the credit once, but I guess not. Maybe that was the old credits

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on December 06, 2023, 08:12:58 PMWelfare queen!

*Puts on Ayn Rand wig*  Taxation is theft.  This is just reclaiming my rightful money back. :lol:

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 06, 2023, 08:34:19 PMI thought you could only get the credit once, but I guess not. Maybe that was the old credits

Nope.  You don't even have to own the car at year end to claim it.  You just can't purchase a vehicle with the intent to flip it, which is such a silly clause.  You can drive it any distance and sell it and claim you never intended to flip.

This is part of why there was such insane pricing going on during COVID era.  Supply constrained + incentives to game + money printer going berserk.  People were buying Teslas, even model S and X that sell a meaningless volumes now, and were flipping them for like $20k profit and were doing it over and over.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Good time to walk away from what consumer reports is saying is one of the worst vehicles quality wise and comes up a good 50 miles short on range.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

It's shown as fully built!  It's ahead of what I predicted by a couple of days.  As long as there isn't a vehicle carrier shortage, I think I'm going to make it before end of year.

Everyone has been sharing their deals on Reddit.  If this Ford cash back incentive comes through like I anticipate, I think I'll have nabbed the best deal listed on there by at least a few thousand.  $15k off MSRP + $7500 EV credit.  The next closest I saw as something like $12k off MSRP. 

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

That's pretty wild as far as pricing!
Will

MrH

Looks like it showed up at the dealer this morning.  Just waiting for post delivery inspection and to arrange a time to complete the paperwork and pick it up!

Should have it by Saturday at the latest.  :muffin:

I was really sweating it out.  I didn't think it was going to make it this year, and I don't know if I would have went through with the deal if it spilled into next year.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Will

MrH

Today is truck day.  Picking it up this afternoon.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Laconian

SJ_GTI

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

You cannot view this attachment.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

I picked it up last week on Friday, but have been busy with family and work stuff this week.  Here are a few pics.  Ignore the yellowish color of the front light bar.  Just a trick on the camera because of the flashing rate of the LEDs.  It's definitely white in person.

I really love the rear taillights.  They flare out from the body, and the light bar connecting is awesome.  Looks much better than the standard F-150 IMO

The screen is huge.  Everyone that has been in it can't get over the size of the screen (my parents especially).  This was taken with a macro lens, so it's a bit misleading

The American flag stuff is a bit over the top, but I also love it :lol:.  There are more in the interior.

The size of the aluminum lower controls is wild.  It's hard to capture in pictures.

Room in the back is huge with the seats folded up.  The tuxmat for this area is comically big.

I measured it and knew it would fit in the garage, but man, it's tight.  Took a few days, but now I can pull in with no issue.  Just a few inches of clearance front and back.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Nice. Do truck stuff. Drive through a mud puddle. Drive through a Mini Cooper.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Not really "mods", but some accessories and things I'm adding:

- Tuxmats
- Cargo net for the front trunk
- Installed all the box cleats that came with it
- Removed the dealer and UAW decals etc
- Front and rear dash cam.  Got one that looks OEM and installs just under the mirror and plugs into the mirror power.
- Shorter antenna :lol:  The big whip antenna gets caught on the garage door every time I go in and out
- Might get a tonneau cover at some point, but not in a huge rush.

Forgot to mention, BlueCruise was rarely activating for the first few days.  On Wednesday, I pulled the fuse for it.  The dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but now it's working perfectly.  Just needed a hard reset.  Basically turns on anytime I'm on a highway.

Oh.  And I had both cars out while I was organizing the garage.  This is from my window, but it kind of shows how tiny the BRZ is in comparison.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

Nice!!

Is the Blue Cruise standard or did you have to pay more for it?