The Garage - fixing it up.

Started by Morris Minor, December 09, 2023, 06:51:06 AM

Morris Minor

Yesterday I replaced the worn cheap rollers that ride in the door opener tracks. It's reduced the rattliness a bit, but most of the noise comes from the motors & the chain drives. If they ever break I'll get something better.

Have any of you guys "redecorated" a garage? The walls are a baby poop dark beige color that makes the place dark & depressing. Wondering if I should do pure white or go with something like a light grey/steel blue?

Don't want anything that raises eyebrows at resale time..
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Submariner2

I was fortunate enough to move into a house with a new garage and white walls.  It really helps to reflect light which is what I want when I am cleaning a car, particularly in the winter when the door is closed.  I also purchased some very bright "corn cob" LED bulbs (they're used as replacements for sodium vapor street lamps) which throw off a ton of light.  They do require an adaptor to screw into a typical household sized socket, and they weigh a lot so you might need to provide them with support if they're attached to, say, a garage door opener.

I've also put up a few flags with auto logs on them (Porsche, Mercedes) and it makes it feel a bit more of a car guys garage.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

AutobahnSHO

Our entire house including bedrooms, living areas, and garage were a very light blue with a hint of grey in it, and white molding/ interior doors.

We probably need a new garage door- it's likely the 1976 original and it's HEAVY and wooden. Last year I saw a screw on the floor and put it away (glad we didn't pop any tires), then later I saw another. Realized they fell out of the door. I tightened up the bolts & nuts and was keeping an eye on it all but I need to inspect it again.

A friend had someone epoxy the garage floor and they added some metal flakes into it- looks so much nicer than plain concrete.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 10, 2023, 01:36:04 PMOur entire house including bedrooms, living areas, and garage were a very light blue with a hint of grey in it, and white molding/ interior doors.

We probably need a new garage door- it's likely the 1976 original and it's HEAVY and wooden. Last year I saw a screw on the floor and put it away (glad we didn't pop any tires), then later I saw another. Realized they fell out of the door. I tightened up the bolts & nuts and was keeping an eye on it all but I need to inspect it again.

A friend had someone epoxy the garage floor and they added some metal flakes into it- looks so much nicer than plain concrete.
You might want to have the spring replaced - they fatigue & break.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 12, 2023, 11:45:39 AMYou might want to have the spring replaced - they fatigue & break.

Yeah one broke last year, replaced both of them. It was tough to get it open! :lol:
Will