Drivers. 😦

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 04, 2024, 03:00:16 PM

AutobahnSHO

In a 3 minute span on the way home witnessed all kinds of dumbz:

1. Car stayed in exit only lane after 2 signs then had to jam the brakes and shift over 2 lanes. Funny part is the exit is 2 lanes which one of the lanes comes back over to the highway they were on (but not told that)

2. I was merging from right doing 75 in 65 zone, slow traffic in right lane. Jeep was coming up fast in middle lane (at least 10mph faster than me) but far left was wide wide open. I used signal and moved over, slightly cutting them off but they had 4-5 seconds to shift over. Instead, they slowed down to my speed, then about 3-4 seconds after that, moved left and sped up. There was literally no one else in the left lane for a good 3-4 miles before and after them.

3. About 2 miles later, coming upon where the 3 lanes merge to 2, and another on ramp from the right, traffic gets congested. At this point I was doing 70ish behind a pickup behind a Semi. About half mile ahead there is 55mph road construction with both lanes shifting. Traffic frequently gets down to 45mph because dummies panic and brake. I see a far left lane person (white SUV) coming up fast enough they'll be next to me at the merge.

W-SUV has slowed a little bit but as the dotted line ends and the left lane starts to narrow, this dummy isn't slowing down. I gently shift left a little they are deciding to keep speed and shift to go around me, car half over the yellow line. Finally they see there is no gap in front of me or in front of pickup, they wouldn't make it around us both and semi so they slow and get behind me.

After the last onramp, change in speed, and lane shift, left lane is packed but my exit is coming up in half mile on right. I shift to right lane which is WIDE OPEN, I resume my usual 10 over limit and pass at least a dozen cars who all stay in left. Including W-SUV which is now way behind. Even after I exit and am driving parallel for another 1/4mile (lots of construction weirdness) I see everyone is going slower than the typical traffic in the left lane but right has no one in it.

4. Exiting there is a dedicated lane for about 200 ft next to the regular 2 lanes with a merge sign and big sign "Keep moving change lanes later" but dummy decides to brake (for no one in any lane). Very often I cut two lanes across (with signal) maintaining speed because it's pretty steep uphill 45mph zone and I'm taking the very next left, and people brake down to 10mph in right lane because the gutter at the gas station is pretty steep so pretty gnarly to drive over.

Bunch of  :huh:  andn  :nutty:  and  :confused:  and  :nono:  most days, but today was crazier than usual.
Will

r0tor

Tonight I saw a woman in a shitty CUV with her phone mounted high on the windshield in front of her with a video or TV streaming.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on January 04, 2024, 03:07:37 PMTonight I saw a woman in a shitty CUV with her phone mounted high on the windshield in front of her with a video or TV streaming.

I'm honestly very shocked more people don't do that...

Wife and I were talking about the decline in driving civility. Many people are just straight bonkers.
Will

Laconian

I had to jump aside and straddle the guard rail because a woman in her Model Y was driving halfway on the shoulder (no sidewalks here). Like she was literally driving that way, consistently. Not veering. Just 50/50 in the shoulder and her lane, intentionally. What the heck?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Hmm. Was she from a right hand drive country and positioning herself in the same spot of the lane, which means half the car is hanging out of the lane now?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

I don't know. Maybe she thought the shoulder gave her an XXL luxury lane.

AutobahnSHO

Windy hilly foresty 35mph road. Come around the bend and some dummy coming toward me is passing even though it's double yellow- there's no passing area in the entire area.

There was enough room I didn't have to brake, car he passed was probably going speed limit.

I laid on the horn a half second before he passed me and stopped immediately after he was gone, enough he knew it was for him and no one else.

I figure Peer pressure or wrecks are the only things which are going to affect bad driving at this point...
Will

CaminoRacer

I need to start honking at red light runners. It's so bad around here. Everyone stretches the yellow way too much and there will be 1-3 cars that enter the intersection after it has turned red. They need to just chill out and accept it's a red light and wait.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 06, 2024, 11:25:08 AMI need to start honking at red light runners. It's so bad around here. Everyone stretches the yellow way too much and there will be 1-3 cars that enter the intersection after it has turned red. They need to just chill out and accept it's a red light and wait.

For real.

So what's killing me is all the dashcams catching all the illegal stuff nowadays and police won't/ don't use that to their advantage until a crash has occurred. Need to start letting people narc each other out and wouldn't take mroe than a year or two for people to drive civil (and/or hide their plate ID, easy solution= check them constantly by police cameras, ticket any plate covers or obstructions so high people won't do it)...
Will

Laconian

Legally and ethically problematic... but I would so love a narc button. Breaking the speed limits when no one's around is one thing, but the amount of dangerous and distracted driving happening in crowded situations is so dangerous!

AutobahnSHO

I mean if you could drop a link and cops could very which footage was egregious, they could pursue the really crazy stuff....
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 06, 2024, 11:25:08 AMI need to start honking at red light runners. It's so bad around here. Everyone stretches the yellow way too much and there will be 1-3 cars that enter the intersection after it has turned red. They need to just chill out and accept it's a red light and wait.

I very rarely push on a yellow light. Most of the time, I'm watching the crosswalk indicators moreso than the actual light 'cause they have the timers so I can tell from afar if it's about due to go yellow/red compared to just chancing it watching the actual traffic signal...I'll even start slowing down ahead of time if I see the timer's close to done and I might as well just wait instead of punching it and going through a sketchy yellow.

Red light runners annoy me...I rarely see anybody be egregious/dangerous about it, but when you do, it's like "hoooooly shit, bro, pay attention!"  That's how people get killed.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2024, 09:27:30 AMI very rarely push on a yellow light. Most of the time, I'm watching the crosswalk indicators moreso than the actual light 'cause they have the timers so I can tell from afar if it's about due to go yellow/red compared to just chancing it watching the actual traffic signal...I'll even start slowing down ahead of time if I see the timer's close to done and I might as well just wait instead of punching it and going through a sketchy yellow.

Red light runners annoy me...I rarely see anybody be egregious/dangerous about it, but when you do, it's like "hoooooly shit, bro, pay attention!"  That's how people get killed.

Very much.

There are some really wacky lights around here though, I ran a red one yesterday. Coming off interstate, one protected left lane, one straight, two right.

Left turn arrows turned green, IF people had give I wouldn't have had to slow less than 30mph. Instead, both cars sat for 3 seconds, it turned yellow and they started to go. I went through as it turned red, the straight turned green but as there were no other cars coming towards us whatsoever, truck behind me which had already stopped ran the red left as well.

Then go past the interstate entrance light the light to get into a big shopping area is absolutely nuts- two left turn lanes, to the right there are train tracks with lots of signals and two left turn lanes. The straights are three lanes wide.

The real kicker though is the light sequence never makes sense. It will turn green for 3 seconds then red even though there are lines of cars. It will go left turn then straight then left turn again, without letting any cross traffic go. It's consistently full of cars because it's so grossly inefficient.
Will

Morris Minor

I hate traffic lights - there is nothing to stop people blowing through them and T-bone-killing.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 08, 2024, 06:04:37 AMI hate traffic lights - there is nothing to stop people blowing through them and T-bone-killing.
That is the primary concern, cars making a left turn when the light changes while some idiot coming the other way tries to accelerate their way through a red light.  Red light cameras whereby tickets are issued would likely help, but most people object to them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 08, 2024, 06:04:37 AMI hate traffic lights - there is nothing to stop people blowing through them and T-bone-killing.

They're building more traffic circles and "Diverging Diamonds" in some places. But yeah, I would say impatience causes 99.5% of all wrecks. Stupid hoomans.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Walkers too!

Today's pop quiz (based on a true story just witnessed):

When you're 45ft from an intersection do you:

a. Wait a long long time for a gap in traffic to jaywalk across 5 lanes
b. Walk to the intersection, wait for a light and cross like a normal person
Will

AutobahnSHO

81 pedestrians in Augusta GA and 26 in North Augusta (across the river in SC) hit by cars last year. Most were jay-walking and/or didn't have right of way.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/not-win-match-cars-80-085917739.html
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 08, 2024, 08:45:53 AMWalkers too!

Today's pop quiz (based on a true story just witnessed):

When you're 45ft from an intersection do you:

a. Wait a long long time for a gap in traffic to jaywalk across 5 lanes
b. Walk to the intersection, wait for a light and cross like a normal person

c. Frogger
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2024, 09:06:30 AMc. Frogger

I hadn't thought of that one. I was around the corner and gone after I saw him standing at least 10 seconds with no apparent effort to go to the crosswalk...
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 08, 2024, 08:44:27 AMThey're building more traffic circles and "Diverging Diamonds" in some places. But yeah, I would say impatience causes 99.5% of all wrecks. Stupid hoomans.
When I first came across a diverging diamond I thought WTF, but it actually works really well. Far fewer traffic backups.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 09, 2024, 03:05:34 PMWhen I first came across a diverging diamond I thought WTF, but it actually works really well. Far fewer traffic backups.

Sooooo efficient!
Will