What's with the hype on the Mazda 3?

Started by Car Zeus, February 17, 2006, 05:26:45 AM

Car Zeus

It's a decent cheap car that finally has a turbo but I don't see all the rage in this car.

Same with the Mazda 6.

I guess they fill some niche market.

Raza

With the Passat gone from the segment, the Mazda6 is probably not only the best to drive, but the best all rounder now, and the Mazda3 is the same, if just a bit more expensive than a comparable top of the line Focus.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteIt's a decent cheap car that finally has a turbo but I don't see all the rage in this car.

Same with the Mazda 6.

The Mazda3 is more fun and less expensive than the other popular true premium compact (the Jetta) but sacrifices few of the Jetta's strengths. It's an economy car for people who don't want an economy car.

The Mazda6 is an even rarer breed, a fun family car.  

ifcar

QuoteWith the Passat gone from the segment, the Mazda6 is probably not only the best to drive, but the best all rounder now, and the Mazda3 is the same, if just a bit more expensive than a comparable top of the line Focus.
Just a bit?

I'm seeing a $3,200 difference between comparably-equipped models.  

MX793

QuoteIt's a decent cheap car that finally has a turbo but I don't see all the rage in this car.

Same with the Mazda 6.

Drive one.  It's a great combination of sporty handling, decent power, refinement and available feature content for the money.  I mean, the performance numbers for the car aren't far off the likes of the Focus SVT, Civic Si hatch or Mazdaspeed Protege yet it costs a bit less and is more refined than any of those.

As for the 6, it's also a great drive with very apparent sporting intentions.  When it came out, is was pretty much the only affordable midsizer that offered a manual transmission with a V6 engine, which pretty much made it automatically more sporty than anything else in the class.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

QuoteWith the Passat gone from the segment, the Mazda6 is probably not only the best to drive, but the best all rounder now, and the Mazda3 is the same, if just a bit more expensive than a comparable top of the line Focus.
Just a bit?

You'll have to allow me that one, eh?  This isn't the market with which I'm most familiar.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

What's the perception of Mazda in North America?
In Australia, Wheels magazine perceives it to be one of the more desirable of the Japanese manufacturers (although I suspect a lot of this has to do with the MX-5 more than anything else), and I'd place it in higher regard than equivalent Holdens, Fords or Peugeots.

Then again, those used to 929s of the early 80s might have a different opinion.  

Raza

QuoteWhat's the perception of Mazda in North America?
In Australia, Wheels magazine perceives it to be one of the more desirable of the Japanese manufacturers (although I suspect a lot of this has to do with the MX-5 more than anything else), and I'd place it in higher regard than equivalent Holdens, Fords or Peugeots.

Mazda is kind of seen as a "secondary" Japanese manufacturer, behind Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, specifically in sales, I believe.  

I put them as the second best Japanese marque (behind Subaru), and my favorite.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Mazda is kind of seen as a "secondary" Japanese manufacturer, behind Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, specifically in sales, I believe.  

A Legacy GT wagon has, IMO, the sort of presence that any equivalent Mazda6 lacks.

And while they're not DIRECTLY comparable, I'd place a Mazda3 5-door ahead of a Impreza 2.5i.

MX793

Just a bit?

Comparing which models and does that include Ford's "deal of the month" incentives (which are about 2500 dollars right now).  Just looking at MSRP, the Focus ST is slightly more than a Mazda3s and the two cars in base form are almost identically equipped.  Same engine, 16 inch alloys, power windows, power locks, ABS, cruise, cloth seats...  The Ford's stereo is MP3 capable and I don't believe that the Mazda's is, but the Mazda has 6 speakers instead of the Ford's 4.  Throw in the incentives and Ford wins, but on sticker price the Mazda is cheaper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

A Legacy GT wagon has, IMO, the sort of presence that any equivalent Mazda6 lacks.

And while they're not DIRECTLY comparable, I'd place a Mazda3 5-door ahead of a Impreza 2.5i.
Yeah, but the only problem I have with Subaru is that I'd never buy any of their cars that weren't turbocharged.  I have an immense love for the WRX, STI, and Legacy 2.5GT, even the Forester 2.5XT, and especially the wagon versions, but the naturally aspirated models are nothing special, whereas the Mazda models...are.

Besides, those at Mazda are not mucking about when they say "the soul of a sports car in every car", they really mean it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Just a bit?

Comparing which models and does that include Ford's "deal of the month" incentives (which are about 2500 dollars right now).  Just looking at MSRP, the Focus ST is slightly more than a Mazda3s and the two cars in base form are almost identically equipped.  Same engine, 16 inch alloys, power windows, power locks, ABS, cruise, cloth seats...  The Ford's stereo is MP3 capable and I don't believe that the Mazda's is, but the Mazda has 6 speakers instead of the Ford's 4.  Throw in the incentives and Ford wins, but on sticker price the Mazda is cheaper.
It's hardly a "deal of the month" when the deal has been around for years. It's not like they're clearing inventory this week, I can't remember a time when you couldn't buy a Focus with at least a $2,000 rebate.

And Raza, I'd hesitate to apply "soul of a sports car" to the B-Series, Tribute, or MPV, even by the conventional definition.  

omicron

Yeah, but the only problem I have with Subaru is that I'd never buy any of their cars that weren't turbocharged.  I have an immense love for the WRX, STI, and Legacy 2.5GT, even the Forester 2.5XT, and especially the wagon versions, but the naturally aspirated models are nothing special, whereas the Mazda models...are.

Besides, those at Mazda are not mucking about when they say "the soul of a sports car in every car", they really mean it.
As long as Mazda has an MX-5 and RX-8, there will always be a strong focus on driving enjoyment. Amen to that. Any company who can produce something as uniquely pure the original MX-5 and manage to maintain it through to 2006 with a completely new model deserves that kind of reputation.  

MX793

Just a bit?

It's hardly a "deal of the month" when the deal has been around for years. It's not like they're clearing inventory this week, I can't remember a time when you couldn't buy a Focus with at least a $2,000 rebate.

And Raza, I'd hesitate to apply "soul of a sports car" to the B-Series, Tribute, or MPV, even by the conventional definition.
I only call it the "deal of the month" because it seems like every time I price a Ford vehicle online, it says that the cash back offer ends at the end of whatever month it happens to be at the time.  They ought to just drop the MSRP by $1500-2000.
Needs more Jiggawatts

cawimmer430

Same with the Mazda 6.

More fun and full of life than any Toyota.  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Just a bit?

I only call it the "deal of the month" because it seems like every time I price a Ford vehicle online, it says that the cash back offer ends at the end of whatever month it happens to be at the time.  They ought to just drop the MSRP by $1500-2000.
And then it's always renewed at a similar or identical amount.

And even if they dropped the sticker by $2,000, people would still expect the rebates they've become used to.  

BRealistic

Same with the Mazda 6.

The fact that the Mazda3 is in its third year of production and has yet to have any significant rebates is a sign that the Mazdas is worth the hype. I don't think Mazda has had a mainstream vehicle sell like that for decades. So maybe you should rive one (with a manual) to find out what the hype is about.

I actually think the Mazda3 is just a bit too 'refined' for my sport compact tastes)- but that would be easy to fix with a better exhaust system.

The Mazda6 was the first affordable mainstream midsize sedan of the new Millenia (pun intended) to focus more on pure driving enjoyment over just focusing on ride comfort and offering more room for the money like everybody else had been doing. The v6 + manual tranny was a departure from the way this market has been moving, and probably is at least partially responsible for Honda offering the manual on the V6 Accord sedan again. But the Mazda6 was introduced in 02. That has been a while, and so it has lost most of its 'new' hype. But it is still a fun to drive sedan that leans more towards sporty handling/braking than any other sedan in this price/market segment. And it still look good.

The Mazdaspeed6 is a mixed bag- I was hoping for a lighter car. But as it stands, it is a fast GT car for under $30k. (shrug) But not the car I was expecting -but I have not driven the car- just going by reviews. Nobody seems to dislike the Mazdaspeed6, but they also seem to expect better refinement. I guess that depends on what you expect from the car.

ifcar

Everyone seems to have been forgetting about the Altima, which had a V6 manual a year before the Mazda6 came out.  

Raza

Just a bit?

Yeah, well they're not cars.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

Well, I'd defend Mazda a bit, but clearly that job has already been done for me. :)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BRealistic

QuoteEveryone seems to have been forgetting about the Altima, which had a V6 manual a year before the Mazda6 came out.
The 2002 Altima got media praise based on its upscale looks and roomy interior- not its handling, rather cheap interior or torque steer inducing V6 models.

ifcar

I know. But it was the first recent family sedan with a V6 manual. Credit the 6 for its handling, the Altima for coming out first.

Car Zeus

I've driven both with NAV and every option available and I didn't really come away all that impressed - their nice styling.

I dunno' maybe I'm just losing my luster for cars after having a Denali, BMW 745Li, Trd Toyota Solara.

I must be getting boring in my old age. (Owner of a 2006 Scion TC and 2006 Honda Accord Coupe Ex-V6 with Nav)

BRealistic

QuoteI know. But it was the first recent family sedan with a V6 manual. Credit the 6 for its handling, the Altima for coming out first.
Um sure.

But keep in mind Mazda's midsize sedan has always been available with a V6 and manual tranny since 93. So it wasn't so much the V6 +_ manual tranny, but the combination of the V6 + manual tranny + sporty handling + good looks that make the Mazda6 special.

ifcar

The Altima outhandled its 02 competitors, and was clearly a sport-oriented car. The 626 was not.  

TBR

It outhandled the Accord and Passat? <_<

BRealistic

QuoteThe Altima outhandled its 02 competitors, and was clearly a sport-oriented car. The 626 was not.
The 02 626 ES with the V6 and manual transmission was out classed and out dated in its basic architecture by 02, but it was still sporty in its steering feel an realtively nimble handling -but the 2.5 was very underpowered by 02 sporty sedan standards, and in the U.S nothing gets media press like horsepower and acceleration numbers, and something being 'all new'.

if I recall- the 98 and later 626 was just the previous 626 platform (93-97)  made longer/wider to try and give the 626 more interior room? So it was a very dated platform.

I have driven those 98-02 626s, and yes- they do handle sporty and have good steering feedback compared to most other mainstream family sedans.

Raza

I thought the Altima was rather disappointing in ride quality, harshness, and agility.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteIt outhandled the Accord and Passat? <_<
The 02 Accord, yes. The 02 Passat, maybe.