Saxonyron took the plunge on a new ride.

Started by saxonyron, February 18, 2006, 10:02:29 PM

saxonyron

I've spent my non-working hours the last week or so car shopping.  My criteria were straightforward - manny tranny, sport sedan, $35k - $40k.  My short list quickly became Audi A4 (big surprise, right?), Infiniti G35, BMW 325/330, Volvo S60 (at Raza's urging).  I didn't want a front driver like Saab or Acura, Lexus was too cushy, and sadly none of the Americans got my attention.  To cut to the chase, the four rings somewhat hold my allegiance, but I wanted to play the field and be sure of my decision.  I researched online ad nauseum.  After sifting through dozens of articles, reviews, comparisons, manufacturer websites, etc. I was ready to hit the lots.

I pulled into the Volvo dealer first.  I strolled thru the lot, trying to find something seductive or attractive, trying to picture myself walking up to this car and driving it for the next few years.   Time was of the essence - I wasn't fooling myself.  I'm no Volvo man.  I drove off.

Next stop was the BMW dealer.  I love BMW's very much.  I know that they drive marginally better than the Audis, and haven't driven one for a few years.  Problem is the stereotype of the BMW owner would hurt me in my business, so I had pretty much eliminated the car, unless it blew me away in the test drive.  (I counted out Mercedes for the same shallow reason - as a contractor, my clients really don't want to see me rolling up in a Benz or BMW - right or wrong, they'll assume I'm hosing them.)  My dealer experience was pretty crumby.  The sales guy was the quintessential bad salesman.  He had hideously bad teeth, tacky clothes, and he hand wrote his name on his business card.  I discussed options with him, etc.  He seemed disinterested, and balked when I tried to set up a test drive.  He said they were closing in less than an hour, and it would be better to come back tomorrow.  "But I'll be busy in the morning.  How about the afternoon."  First mistake, bozo.  Find out what works for the customer - I don't give a damn about your schedule.  :rolleyes: Again, time was of the essence, and as much as I wanted a test drive, I left.  I intended to return Saturday, but there just wasn't enough time.

On Saturday, Infiniti was the 1st stop.  The sales staff was top notch, fist rate.  The only bummer was that the G35X (AWD) only came with an auto.  The RWD was the only configuration with manny tranny.  All I can say about this car is "Holy crap it's amazing and if they come out with a manny AWD it will be my next car!"  300 HP on tap with the manual.  The automatic is detuned to 280 HP, but either one is amazing.  The front end is semi-dorky looking, but the aerodynamics result in a 0.27 cD and amazing stability.  At 100 MPH, I felt like I was cruising at 55.  (The salesguy came along, as did my 12 yr old daughter.)  The salesguy was very much an enthusiast and rightfully proud of his cars.  They sell themselves, he said.  I agree.  He encouraged me to prod my right foot further along.  Cornering was in sportscar territory - 0.90 g.  I took my favorite daily exit.  With winter tires, my A6 can hit it at 39.  Summer tires, 43.  I approached in the G35 (with winter tires) at what I felt was a reasonable velocity.  I checked the speedo and it was at 42.  The car was flat and I had barely pushed it - easily could have gone 45-46.  Maybe 50 with summer rubber.  The exhaust note made me grin.  The luxury stuff was almost 1st rate - not Audi territory, but mighty fine.

Last chapter - the Audi dealer.  The A6 only comes slushy, so it was out of the running.  Not to mention, I feel more fiscally responsible lowering my money bar to A4 territory.  The test drive went incredibly well.  The 2.0T's 200 HP was very available and very lively.  Not G35 stuff, but nothing to sneeze at.  My daughter said, as we merged onto the highway "I like it, but it feels like the engine is straining a little now."  I explained that the 4 cyl was naturally working harder than a 6 cyl almost twice its size.  Then I looked at the speedo, and legitimately shocked said "and it's because we're going 100 mph now, sweety." Needless to say, two triple digit test drives with my daughter in one morning gave her plenty to talk about (but I swore her to secrecy as far as my mom goes!).  The Audi made me smile in every department (except rear seat room and I'm still getting used to the nose job).

The clincher was the next day, Sunday, we got a foot of snow.  Monday was time for work.  The roads were still snow covered.  As my A6 with quattro sliced thru the curves with total stability, I realized no amount of stability control or snow tires could equal quattro.  I rely on my car to get me not just to my office, but job sites all over the Boston area.  Snow was no excuse to stay home.  I decided then and there to go with the Audi.

Boy, that was a long post, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  I'm picking up the new baby on Tuesday.  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

BMWDave

Congrats!!!! Remember to post pictures!  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

I wish you many miles of fun.  Congrats on a nice choice!

mazda6er

Sounds good, Ron, excellent pick! :rockon: I love new cars. :wub:

What type of options are you getting on it, and what colors?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

saxonyron

QuoteSounds good, Ron. Excellent pick! :rockon: I love new cars. :wub:

What type of options are you getting on it, and what colors?
It's "Dolphin Gray" with Premium package, Sunroof/leather package, Cold weather package, Audio package, sport suspension, and 17" wheels.  The packages result in the usual nice stuff like heated electric seats, automatic wipers and headlites, trip computer, ski pass-thru, upgraded Bose stereo with Sirius satellite, Gray leather seats.  My timing was tight, so I needed a car off the lot.  This one was right on, except I wouldn't have sprung for the $1,000 radio upgrade voluntarily.   The only thing this is missing is Nav, which I didn't want.  First new car I bought since 1994!  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Congratulations, man!!  I can't say for sure that I won't be joining you at some point soon!

You went with the 2.0T?  

We can mod that right up for you, until that thing is embarassing STIs!

:rockon:  B)  :P  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Oh right, and if we don't get epic amounts of pictures in a timely fashion, I will hunt you down.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Speed_Racer

Congrats! Audis have had a soft spot in my heart since the day I test drove a TT. Glad you found something that you enjoy and can get the job done.

Can't wait for pics!

saxonyron

Thanks guys!  The waiting is killing me!  I'd be driving it now except the salesguy had Thursday off so it didn't get finalized til Friday.  Monday the registry and insurance dudes are off, so I have to wait til Tuesday.  Not bad in the big picture, but I hate to wait!  B)  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteOh right, and if we don't get epic amounts of pictures in a timely fashion, I will hunt you down.
I'll post pics pronto and prodigiously!  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

TBR

You're selling the A6 privately, right?

Also, didn't you say you were looking for a new Expedition as well?

Raza

If you want, we can trade (A6 for Passat) and you can sell the Passat privately if you want.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

saxonyron

QuoteYou're selling the A6 privately, right?

Also, didn't you say you were looking for a new Expedition as well?
I sold the A6 to one of my employees.  He ended up selling his car right away, so I promised I'd move quickly on the A6.  He only puts a few thousand miles a year on his car, so this is the perfect situation  for him.  And yes, the Expedition has 88k miles.  I want to sell before the 100k mile warrantee expires and at least serves some value to a new buyer.  One year old Expediters with 20k miles are going in the very low $20k's, thanks to gas prices.  I looked at one that stickered for $39k - dealer was asking $23,500!  This was an '05 with 25k miles!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteIf you want, we can trade (A6 for Passat) and you can sell the Passat privately if you want.
I should have done an even swap with you!  I think I would have made out OK!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteIf you want, we can trade (A6 for Passat) and you can sell the Passat privately if you want.
I should have done an even swap with you!  I think I would have made out OK!
I'm okay with that.  I'm not bothered.  I'll even meet you up there for a cup of Earl Grey.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Speed_Racer

QuoteI'm so anxious to get a new car :banghead:
Ditto. Every spring, I get those urges. Even though I'm far from being able to afford a new...let alone a used car, I still WANT one really bad. It sucks.

Every spring, I remember just how poor I am. Haha!

RJM

Yeah, my patience slips everyday waiting on the replacement for my STS.  According to the timeline I was given, it should be here anyday now.

Nice choice, sax.  My sis was THIS close to getting an A4, but it was a little small for her tastes, so she picked up a CTS.  I personally liked the A4 much better, but I'm not the one driving it, so....

Enjoy!

EDIT:  ALmost forgot about the BMW guy.  The only way I can describe my BMW dealer is ARROGANT.  Every person I've encountered acts as if they have all the money and you're just a distraction that they're required to deal with, even though they make it painfully obvious they'd rather be anywhere else than assisting you.  I don't know how they sell a single vehicle.

Tom

Yeah, my patience slips everyday waiting on the replacement for my STS.  According to the timeline I was given, it should be here anyday now.

Nice choice, sax.  My sis was THIS close to getting an A4, but it was a little small for her tastes, so she picked up a CTS.  I personally liked the A4 much better, but I'm not the one driving it, so....

Enjoy!

EDIT:  ALmost forgot about the BMW guy.  The only way I can describe my BMW dealer is ARROGANT.  Every person I've encountered acts as if they have all the money and you're just a distraction that they're required to deal with, even though they make it painfully obvious they'd rather be anywhere else than assisting you.  I don't know how they sell a single vehicle.
I hear that a lot, but I gotta say the one near me is friendly.  I even met a guy who comes down from Massachusettes to buy there.  West German BMW in Springhouse(or maybe considered Amber?), PA.

Catman

Nice going Ron, I'm sure that car looks sweet.  You'll have to swing it by in the next couple of weeks. B)  

J86

Nice!  Congrats!  How long 'till the mod bug hits ya?

dazzleman

Congratulations Ron.  It sounds like a good choice.  Lots of luck with it.

I know what you mean about the BMW driver stereotype.  Did you ever hear the joke -- "What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?  With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside."

Luckily for me, I don't use my car for business, so I don't have to worry what anybody thinks about it.

Interesting comments about BMW dealers.  Not surprising, given their popularity in certain areas.  I actually abandoned the BMW dealer closest to my house for similar reasons, and have bought both my BMWs through a different dealer.

So you hit triple digits twice during your test drives?  Good thing you didn't end up like Matt (Cosmic Saab), getting nailed for speeding on a test drive.  That would definitely suck, especially with your daughter in the car.  :hammerhead:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

saxonyron

QuoteYeah, my patience slips everyday waiting on the replacement for my STS.  According to the timeline I was given, it should be here anyday now.

Nice choice, sax.  My sis was THIS close to getting an A4, but it was a little small for her tastes, so she picked up a CTS.  I personally liked the A4 much better, but I'm not the one driving it, so....

Enjoy!

EDIT:  ALmost forgot about the BMW guy.  The only way I can describe my BMW dealer is ARROGANT.  Every person I've encountered acts as if they have all the money and you're just a distraction that they're required to deal with, even though they make it painfully obvious they'd rather be anywhere else than assisting you.  I don't know how they sell a single vehicle.
Thanks!  I'd agree with your sister on the size - I wish the wheelbase was about 4" more, putting it all in the back seat.  The G35 had plenty of room for my 12 yr old to fit behind me (but I had less room in the driver seat than in the A4).  No one will be sitting behind me - at 6'7", the gap for back seat legs is about 3"!  But, I'm alone in the car 98% of the time - any kid time will be the odd trip to sports or cub scouts.

The funny thing about the BMW salesman was that he really looked like he should be selling not just used cars, but bad used cars.  He acted so snobby, but he looked like low class boob.  :rolleyes:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteNice going Ron, I'm sure that car looks sweet.  You'll have to swing it by in the next couple of weeks. B)
Sounds good!  We can take it for a test drive thru the twisties in your neck of the woods.  Your town has some great roads for that!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteNice!  Congrats!  How long 'till the mod bug hits ya?
:lol:  :lol:

I don't have any planned right now, but then again, I didn't with my old car either!  This already has the sport suspension and upgraded wheels, so there goes the old plan.  Now, a chip...................naaaah.  But then again...... B)  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteCongratulations Ron.  It sounds like a good choice.  Lots of luck with it.

I know what you mean about the BMW driver stereotype.  Did you ever hear the joke -- "What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?  With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside."

Luckily for me, I don't use my car for business, so I don't have to worry what anybody thinks about it.

Interesting comments about BMW dealers.  Not surprising, given their popularity in certain areas.  I actually abandoned the BMW dealer closest to my house for similar reasons, and have bought both my BMWs through a different dealer.

So you hit triple digits twice during your test drives?  Good thing you didn't end up like Matt (Cosmic Saab), getting nailed for speeding on a test drive.  That would definitely suck, especially with your daughter in the car.  :hammerhead:
Thanks D-Man! Hey, just to be clear, I don't believe that BMW stuff.  I know you're no prick!  :lol:  Too bad that stereotypes ruin it for the rest of us.  It would have been nice to pick a car based purely on automotive merits - although I still may have ended up in the Audi!

Matt got nailed on a test drive?  With or without the saleperson on board?  I imagine they both had some explainin' to do!  :lol:  :lol: I'm sure I would have gotten Dad of the year if I were nailed!  :ph34r:  :blink:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteThanks D-Man! Hey, just to be clear, I don't believe that BMW stuff.  I know you're no prick!  :lol:  Too bad that stereotypes ruin it for the rest of us.  It would have been nice to pick a car based purely on automotive merits - although I still may have ended up in the Audi!

Matt got nailed on a test drive?  With or without the saleperson on board?  I imagine they both had some explainin' to do!  :lol:  :lol: I'm sure I would have gotten Dad of the year if I were nailed!  :ph34r:  :blink:
Yes, I just recently heard the story about Matt getting nailed on a test drive.  What rotten luck.  Of course, everybody pushes the limits when test driving a fast car.  There were several instances when I probably could have been led away in 'cuffs for the speeds I was doing on test drives.  :pullover:

I don't think it affects the dealer in any way, since tickets are issued to people, though the name of the dealer was listed in the car owner section of the ticket.

I imagine your wife would have been none too happy had you gotten nailed with your daughter in the car.  She might have even cut you off for a couple of days... :lol:

It's funny how impatient you are to get your new car.  I'm pretty serenely waiting for mine.  It's not as if either one of us is suffering with our current rides.  They couldn't find a Bimmer 5-er with the options and colors I wanted, so it had to be ordered, and it is now supposedly in transport, and should be here by the end of the month.

Have a lot of fun with your car, buddy.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

saxonyron

I've never been good at waiting - I'm still basically a 6 year old.  I'm in a strange situation though - I told my employee I was planning on selling my car in "about a month or so", knowing he was interested in my car.  We settled on a deal, and he put his car up for sale.  Much to his surprise, it sold on day #1 ( he should've asked for more $$!).  So now he's bumming rides to work and living without a car.  Basically, to help him out (a mobile and happy employee will be more productive), and satisfy my need for instant automotive gratification, I moved quickly.  I admire your patience!  When you get your new ride, you need to come to Boston for a CarSPIN convention.  B)

Oh yeah, just to be clear, I didn't intend to do a buck in the A4 - I was merely merging onto a 6 lane, put my foot into it and wow!  :ph34r:  OK, the Infiniti guy semi-encouraged me in the G-35, though.   :devil:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteI've never been good at waiting - I'm still basically a 6 year old.  I'm in a strange situation though - I told my employee I was planning on selling my car in "about a month or so", knowing he was interested in my car.  We settled on a deal, and he put his car up for sale.  Much to his surprise, it sold on day #1 ( he should've asked for more $$!).  So now he's bumming rides to work and living without a car.  Basically, to help him out (a mobile and happy employee will be more productive), and satisfy my need for instant automotive gratification, I moved quickly.  I admire your patience!  When you get your new ride, you need to come to Boston for a CarSPIN convention.  B)

Oh yeah, just to be clear, I didn't intend to do a buck in the A4 - I was merely merging onto a 6 lane, put my foot into it and wow!  :ph34r:  OK, the Infiniti guy semi-encouraged me in the G-35, though.   :devil:
Hah, now you're rationalizing and blaming other people for your irresponsible actions, doing a buck in those test-drive cars -- shame on you -- and you're a father, too -- don't forget that, young man.....Did the Infiniti salesman grab your leg and push your foot down harder?  :lol:

How's that for my old lady impersonation?  Dude, I'm the last guy who should be handing out lectures on speeding... :lol:   In any case, I don't think you'd do a buck in the A-4 on a regular basis.  Based on what you've said, you're probably my favorite type of driver -- fast, but sensible and responsible, taking traffic and road conditions into account, but not being too fastidious in observing the speed limit.

Enjoy the new ride.  The scary thing is, a couple of your kids will probably start driving during the time you own this car.  Have you thought about that, man?  :rockon:

BTW, when I get the new ride, I'd love to come up to Boston and we can have a little convention, and maybe take a few rides in each other's cars.  That would be a lot of fun.